Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Well, you don't speak the language the staff speak, you don't speak the language most if not almost all the other customers speak.. so what's to clarify? You're the minority. And you didn't even notice because someone loud on the internet said it wasn't true. And had statistics to prove it. Like boiling frogs..

Go on so. Fire those stats up.

Because I shop in Lidl every week and I'll note a few things.

- Oddly enough, and that's sarcasm, most of the customers of a shop in Ireland are Irish. And such is the case for my Lidl.
    - Of the staff, my experience is that about 50% are Irish, or sound as such, I don't really care enough to mark a difference. Of those staff, 99% are just people doing their job in the best way they can.
    - I'm so ditzy that I can't even notice apparently obvious trends in Irish society .. at the supermarket level.

I realise that </sarcasm> tags are used a lot lately. We really could do with </bellend> tags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I think the main reason we aren't a target is because we are a small nation and have a familiar attitude to the passerby in the street.
    We don't jump to conclusions when we see a Muslim in the street. He's a person probably owns a shop restaurant or is a doctor who treated our grandmother in hospital last week.
    Do we think their all terrorists no of course not. This makes it harder for them to be radicalized here. In England the situation is different there are swathes of the population who feel the Muslims are taking over and have confrontations. This can make a community turn inwards and develop resentment this creates an opening for someone to find a malleable disenfranchised individual and make them carry out "God's will"
    Unfortunately there's no shortage of stupid people who will do things if someone tells them they're great

How was Sweden any worse towards these people?

- Oddly enough, and that's sarcasm, most of the customers of a shop in Ireland are Irish. And such is the case for my Lidl.
    - Of the staff, my experience is that about 50% are Irish, or sound as such, I don't really care enough to mark a difference. Of those staff, 99% are just people doing their job in the best way they can.
    - I'm so ditzy that I can't even notice apparently obvious trends in Irish society .. at the supermarket level.

I realise that </sarcasm> tags are used a lot lately. We really could do with </bellend> tags.

Try a district court then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Just for those of you who have opinions realised from limited information.

I suggest you take a look at Europol's report on IS trends in relation to Europe.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/islamic-state-changing-terror-tactics-to-maintain-threat-in-europe

Click "changes in modus operandi..."

Its a good read and will give you enough information to let you actually understand the situation and how it effects Europe as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

You're a sheep though Dave. You said it yourself.

I'd put them several levels below that! Antimicrobial resistance is one of the the most pressing issues of the next generation or so. Nutty Islamists are Vanarama League by comparison - they kill hundreds every year typically, a bacterial infection without a silver bullet will kill millions at some point the way things are going.

Don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

ISIS are on the way out. The highlight of their activity these days seems to be driving a car or a truck onto the pavement and killing a few pedestrians or some lad pulling out a knife and roaring a few things about Allah before getting shot by a soldier.

Even if Isis is destroyed in the middle east they won't give up.

The chances of Ireland getting hit by Isis are 50 50 in my opinion. Yes we are sitting ducks having no armed gardai and no way of preventing a terrorist attack in Ireland quickly but we have no political power. We have very little say in what goes on in Europe and the World so why would Isis attack a country with very little influence in the world.

I think it they should kill anyone they should start with Donald Trump and then kill all the other political eejits in the world. Then they should clear off and celebrate Ramadan.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Try a district court then

I honestly have no idea why you're suggesting that. Why would I possibly go to a district court if I've no issue with anyone?

Caught by the horns, I admit it.

On a more serious note, that's a fairly ****ing flimsy response. I'll wait for those stats you claimed existed.
    And had statistics to prove it. Like boiling frogs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

How was Sweden any worse towards these people?

That is the one thing that bucks the trend I still do not understand the Stockholm attack
    Neutral so far north
    Doesn't even give a toss what happens outside Sweden as they seem to have their own affairs with their Nordic communities.
    Closest thing is the Andreas brevic thing but that seems too unreleated

You've got me there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

You cant know the mechanisms behind it .It was a terror attack inspired by Daesh Islamofascist ideology. And being politically correct social justice warrior bend over backwards pacifist anti war Sweden didnt protect them. So it wont protect us .

Sweden were allowing the refugees from war torn Syria and elsewhere come to their country. Which was a very noble gesture in itself ...but it backfired in Swedish politics and culminating in this incident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Absolutely, I think there can be radicals anywhere.

I was telling my OH the other day that I feel a bit on edge being in high-profile busy places like the GPO, the main railway and bus stations, and the main shopping districts in the city centre these days.

That is the one thing that bucks the trend I still do not understand the Stockholm attack
    Neutral so far north
    Doesn't even give a toss what happens outside Sweden as they seem to have their own affairs with their Nordic communities.

You've got me there
    Because it's a non Muslim country that is suddenly full of Muslims..Many of them radicalised..Attacking Sweden from within was like taking candy from a baby.

The goal of it is to ultimately set up Muslim only areas as seems already to be happening. The attack itself is just window dressing

I honestly have no idea why you're suggesting that. Why would I possibly go to a district court if I've no issue with anyone?

On a more serious note, that's a fairly ****ing flimsy response. I'll wait for those stats you claimed existed.

You're being serious, right? Lol. Our local Aldi and Lidl are like a trip abroad. I'm generally the only Paddy in there unless there's another outlier who has popped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Absolutely, I think there can be radicals anywhere.

I was telling my OH the other day that I feel a bit on edge being in high-profile busy places like the GPO, the main railway and bus stations, and the main shopping districts in the city centre these days.

In case someone asks you for a euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Neutral so far north

You've got me there

Going by what Isis and similar groups describe as their reasoning, Sweden ticked enough boxes.

Same as Ireland would.

They are very clear that what countries do outside of say Sweden, for example is not a mitigating factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The goal of it is to ultimately set up Muslim only areas as seems already to be happening.

I don't understand how that happens or why it's tolerated.

The more I think about it the more it seems likely
    Isis has said they would carry out attacks against the western world,
    Their plan very well may be to attack countries with harmonious relationships with Muslims to sow discord and isolate muslim communities to further their own agenda
    Course then it would be incumbent upon these communities to stick up red flags as they have done on any suspected lunatic.
    There was the Irish lad who converted to muslim there and got himself blown up. He was a bit of a regard and they did bring it to the attention of the Guardi

You're being serious, right? Lol. Our local Aldi and Lidl are like a trip abroad. I'm generally the only Paddy in there unless there's another outlier who has popped in.

No, I made **** up for the craic. </sarcasm>.

The majority of people who shop in Lidl/Aldi are Irish. It's simply unavoidable statistics. If Irish people were not the majority consumers of Lidl/Aldi in Ireland then they wouldn't be able to maintain a presence here. It's not economically viable.

Sorry dude.

I don't understand how that happens or why it's tolerated.

Because of the ridiculous notion that they'll come around if you show them enough kindness

• Advertisement

The majority of people who shop in Lidl/Aldi are Irish. It's simply unavoidable statistics. If Irish people were not the majority consumers of Lidl/Aldi in Ireland then they wouldn't be able to maintain a presence here. It's not economically viable.

Sorry dude.

Lol. If you knew how wrong you were, you'd blush. But you spout ahead. :D You're funny. The noughties called. They want their statistics back. :pac:

It's not only the noughties who want their statistics. I'd like the statistics too. I already asked for them.

You seem reluctant to show me the source for these statistics though.

Whenever you're ready there.

It's not only the noughties who want their statistics. I'd like the statistics too. I already asked for them.

You seem reluctant to show me the source for these statistics though.

Whenever you're ready there.
    When you're in the pub, with your mates, and Malcolm goes "xyz, blah, blah blah." - do you jump up, arms on hips, petulant face on, looking for "sources"?

Sorry dude.

Do you have any sources for your claims? :confused:

When you're in the pub, with your mates, and Malcolm goes "xyz, blah, blah blah." - do you jump up, arms on hips, petulant face on, looking for "sources"?

Nah.

I just call him/her a paranoid tool and get on with my life.

But since you replied, I'll again ask for those statistics you mentioned earlier, repeatedly. They seem important to you so you obviously know where they came from. So you'll have no problem linking them.

Unless of course, they came out of your arse.

Nah.

But since you replied, I'll again ask for those statistics you mentioned earlier, repeatedly. They seem important to you so you obviously know where they came from. So you'll have no problem linking them.

I asked you first. You bosh up your stats there. Good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Thus isn't you and a few half wits in your local though. The Internet is different because you can link to sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 netherlands15

probably galway or dublin

Thus isn't you and a few half wits in your local though. The Internet is different because you can link to sources.

Is it? Bosh up your source for that outrageous claim so. Thus.

Nah.

I can vouch for his statistics as I've seen it myself at least once a week.

Consider me a source

I can vouch for his statistics as I've seen it myself at least once a week.

Consider me a source

The Defence rests. Source ^^^^.

Happy now Dave? I have a source. Do you?

• Advertisement

You can't just turn around and ask someone else to prove your wrong. The onus lies on you to prove your side as your the one who threw the salacious piece into the mix

I'm a source
    In my aldi and lidl its mostly irish
    Then again I do live in a gentrified area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Happy now Dave?

You claimed you had stats so how is the onus now on Dave to disprove something you said you had proof of when you haven't shown those stats?

Using a post by another poster who is IMO more than likely using the same IP address as you as proof is BS.

Regardless of your position that is not how a debate works

Happy now Dave? I have a source. Do you?

I've never been served by an Irish person in the aldi i go to.

I would also hazard a good 70% of customers are foreign too.

In my local tesco there are a good number of Irish staff but only a fraction of the customers are irish

Dunne's however is all Irish except for security.
    It's probably a combination of sky high prices and a habit of treating staff like shiite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The thing is all these smaller attacks in Europe aren't all being carried out by one big group. It's lone nutters who've been radicalised online or by radicalised by another extremist - very few of them have actually been trained by or ordered by the group we call ISIS to carry out attacks. They do it in ISIS's name, but most attacks have not been planned and organised by the senior members of ISIS. Of course they claim responsibility afterwards and it amounts to the same thing for victims - but it just adds to fear if we start thinking that all of these attacks are properly orchestrated by one leader/group of leaders.

Yes, we could see a lone wolf attack here. I hope we won't, but it's very much possible. We don't have as much of a problem with ghettoisation/segregation as other EU countries like the UK and France, though, so there are statistically fewer "home-grown" radicalised extremists. We need to work on integration over the coming years - it could become a problem as generations change - and avoid any sort of bigotry from either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Collie D wrote: »
    You claimed you had stats so how is the onus now on Dave to disprove something you said you had proof of when you haven't shown those stats?

Using a post by another poster who is IMO more than likely using the same IP address as you as proof is BS.

Report the multi account to boards.ie....they find out fairly quick...
    Loads of eastern Europe folk in lidl in my personal experience,way more than super valu or Tesco but what the fcuk has this to do with potential terrorist attacks in Ireland

Except that you didn't. I realise facts are hard to keep track of but... your contribution that started this was:
    Pop into Aldi any night you like. Report back on "Irish people". It's a done deal already. If you think it isn't, you got dropped once too many times as a baby.

I replied with:
    I really hope what I'm reading into this post isn't what I think it is. Trolls aside, obviously.

Could you clarify what you mean, for the craic?

I'll just quote from here on in.
    Well, you don't speak the language the staff speak, you don't speak the language most if not almost all the other customers speak.. so what's to clarify? You're the minority. And you didn't even notice because someone loud on the internet said it wasn't true. And had statistics to prove it. Like boiling frogs..

Sorry dude.
    Lol. If you knew how wrong you were, you'd blush. But you spout ahead. :D You're funny. The noughties called. They want their statistics back. :pac:

Sorry dude.
    Do you have any sources for your claims? :confused:
    Nah.

I asked you first. You bosh up your stats there. Good lad.

So, to be accurate about things, the first person to ask for statistics about the other's claims was myself. I asked you repeatedly for stats about what you claimed regarding a) Lidl/Aldi workers and b) Lidl/Aldi customers. Nothing has been forthcoming.

Since then you've both declined to give actual sources for stats, and decided to ask for sources off myself. I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. You don'#t get to throw things out there as 'evidence' and then ask others (who have asked you for sources) for evidence of their own.

I realise that you might just get a kick out of this, which is fair enough. To each their own. Please know that I honestly don't care. I'm just bored.

I claimed I had stats?? When was that then? I offered my opinion. No stats, just my own view. How odd is that? Must melt your brain. "Having your own opinion without stats". The new odd.. unless you're in the real world. Where it's normal..

I'm just bored.

I'm sorry you're bored Dave. :(

I claimed I had stats?? When was that then?

Right there.
    I'm sorry you're bored Dave. :(

Nah, it's cool. The GF is away, and I finished the Witcher 3 DLC there earlier, so I'm just in a bit of withdrawal/entertainment limbo. I'll be grand in an hour or two.

On a totally unrelated note, have you played the Witcher 3? Phenomenal game. I always try and find common ground online, and **** me if video games don't usually help. If you haven't played it I really recommend it.

• Advertisement

I claimed I had stats?? When was that then? I offered my opinion. No stats, just my own view. How odd is that? Must melt your brain. "Having your own opinion without stats". The new odd.. unless you're in the real world. Where it's normal..

You're right. I just reread your post. You mentioned stats but didn't actually say you had them. Mea culpa.

I still don't get what the demographics of Lidl customers (mostly Irish in my experience) has to do with the probability of an Islamist terror attack in Ireland though.

Clarify
    "And had statistics to prove it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Honestly expecting something around the repeal the 8th if I'm honest. Wife was at one of the marchs was not happy...

... had to make my own dinner.

He didn't.

He said " and you didn't even notice because somebody on the internet said it wasn't true and had the statstics to prove it"

Your failure to properly read his post has caused you a huge amount of embarrassment and enormous amounts of unnecessary posting

Right there.

Nah, it's cool. The GF is away, and I finished the Witcher 3 DLC there earlier, so I'm just in a bit of withdrawal/entertainment limbo. I'll be grand in an hour or two.

On a totally unrelated note, have you played the Witcher 3? Phenomenal game. I always try and find common ground online, and **** me if video games don't usually help. If you haven't played it I really recommend it.

I work for the company you're arguing with me about..:pac: But you fire ahead.. :D I know the stats. But meh, it's easter. Who cares? Trivia in the big picture.

I work for the company you're arguing with me about..:pac: But you fire ahead.. :D I know the stats. But meh, it's easter. Who cares? Trivia in the big picture.

If that's the case, then you'll have no problem providing said statistics.

Indeed, it is quite the inconsequential nonsense. Such is what we entertain ourselves with though.

If that's the case, then you'll have no problem providing said statistics.

Indeed, it is quite the inconsequential nonsense. Such is what we entertain ourselves with though.

Then I'd get fired. So no. But you fire ahead with yours. But you're kinda going to have to bow to mine. If you removed the Polish community from the Aldi/Lidl equation, you'd limit growth quite a lot.

He didn't.

He said " and you didn't even notice because somebody on the internet said it wasn't true and had stats to prove it"

Your failure to properly read his post has caused you a huge amount of embarrassment and enormous amounts of unnecessary posting

Read my last post. Not embarrassed at all by the way. It was poorly phrased and I was speed reading. As for unnecessary posting - the OP asked about the likelihood of a terror attack in Ireland and we've diverted to who shops in Lidl...

To OP, yes it's possible we're a target as these people don't really care who they hurt. Likely? Less so than other countries I think.

To you..."literally millions of these people"...who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

They dont give a ****e if you dropped a bomb.

We are western so a target. All it takes is one nutjob!

• Advertisement

Then I'd get fired. So no. But you fire ahead with yours. But you're kinda going to have to bow to mine. If you removed the Polish community from the Aldi/Lidl equation, you'd limit growth quite a lot.

Your boards.ie account is not related to your real life persona.

But if you want to claim that it is, fair enough, I can't get you to change your mind.

For future reference though, you don't get to claim something based off alleged proof you have, if you can't actually back it up.

Just a thought. All the best, and I really mean it. Play the ****ing Witcher 3.

Advertisement