Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Could a terrorist attack happen in Ireland? Yes

Would it happen? Probably not

They said that about Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They said that about Trump.

**** me, Trump could happen in Ireland!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see a few of these "bravado" posts, Ubbiquitous, yourself, I think there's another poster...

That's fine, impersonate Bruce Willis, sport a little smile around the corner of your lips, and let the security measures happen if you don't mind, because some of us would rather feel safe than brave.

Genuinely have no idea of the point you are making, I simply pointed out which was likely to kill more people. Anyone who thinks its Islamic terrorism and not antibacterial resistance either doesn't know what that is or prefers to fixate on sensation rather than likely reality. Nowt to do with feeling brave, I prefer probability to screaming headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Loaded poll.

Question says "Do you think Ireland could be attacked by IS?", but post says "So, do you think Ireland could be next?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Next would probably mean by the end of the month. The attacks in Europe are nearly a weekly event at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Manny89 wrote: »
    Next would probably mean by the end of the month. The attacks in Europe are nearly a weekly event at this stage.

That is so true.

Except for the part that isn't. And by part, I mean all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Genuinely have no idea of the point you are making, I simply pointed out which was likely to kill more people. Anyone who thinks its Islamic terrorism and not antibacterial resistance either doesn't know what that is or prefers to fixate on sensation rather than likely reality. Nowt to do with feeling brave, I prefer probability to screaming headlines.

Should one cancel out the other ?
    It's not really about screaming headlines, my point is that we shouldn't (IMO) have the attitude that "terrorism ? sure, 'tis only killing a handful each year".

You have the numbers on your side alright, but we're human. We don't just dismiss one threat with a shrug because the other is greater.
    It is possible to improve safety measures, and I think it deserves to be done also, regardless of other threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

LirW wrote: »
    Would never happen in Limerick, the chances are high you'd be stabbed before you can carry out an attack. :pac:

What a retro quip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    Here's another good point, the refugees that are almost certainly hiding amongst us could be radicalised and surely take a pop at somewhere in Ireland?

Good point. Could be hiding out anywhere.

recurring-simpsons-th.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is no great ISIS strategy. It is essentially disenfranchised youths latching on to an idea.
    Due to religious schools we are poor at integrating new arrivals so we may see second generation extremism be an issue similar to other countries.

So we could have more and more fanatics the more people we get who grow up with fanatical teachings in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So we could have more and more fanatics the more people we get who grow up with fanatical teachings in Ireland.

Unfortunately we have plenty already.... Not the religious kind.

pilly wrote: »
    Ah sure they can bomb away at Newgrange, no-one ever there. It'll be grand.

I've been waiting all my life to see the solstice there, although I'm a bit less bothered now and can't be dealing with the waiting list. It'd be typical if they blew it up before I get a chance :D

Not to make light of Isis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Most Irish people grew up with fanatical teachings.....

Here's another good point, the refugees that are almost certainly hiding amongst us could be radicalised and surely take a pop at somewhere in Ireland?

Yes, Senor Fancy Pants shared an Interpol link about new Modus Operandi of ISIS and it mentions the risk of refugees being radicalised, and jihadists having infiltrated the camps already. Isis themselves said their fighters would arrive in a wave of refugees to Europe.

Most Irish people grew up with fanatical teachings.....

Speak for yourself, there is nothing comparable to the bile that has been exposed being preached in hardline mosques or madrassas, nothing comparable to a death cult with martyrdom and suicide bombing on the menu that some unfortunate Muslim kids are being raised within. Maybe if you bear in mind these are kids being brainwashed it might temper your urge to backbite against Ireland. There's hardly a man or woman in Ireland who doesn't know about the church's disgraceful past and its effect on society but it's looked on with shame and is a relic of the past in a society that is increasingly moving toward secularism, where gay marriage is embraced and women have rights they would have been deprived of in the past, so let's deal with the issue here and now and drop the harking back to history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

So it wouldn't matter to you if someone close to you ended up being killed by a terrorist attack in Ireland because it wasn't antibacterial resistance??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LogicusRex

To figure out if a country is safe from a terrorist threat you have to invert your thinking.
    New Zealand is a country I know something about. They congratulate themselves on being an open, liberal and accepting country which they feel will protect them. Little do they realise that nothing annoys the loony fringe of Islam more than openness and acceptance. That is the opposite of what they are about.
    The things that protect New Zealand are remote geography and an immigration policy they can actually enforce.
    Ireland is an island which you pretty much have to go through the UK to get to. With so many tempting targets in the UK why go further ?
    Basically we are "buffered".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Could there be IS attackers in Ireland NOW?

Yes.
    We had links to al-qaeda way back.
    We have major links to muslim brotherhood and a hell of a lot of people here for some reason would like one of them returned to us. :rolleyes:
    Anyone remember Khalid Kelly ?

I always find it funny where some Irish pipe up about our neutrality when these discussions start.
    There are no neutrals in this anymore.
    Just ask the Swedes.

Some actually believe this bullcr** that we are different.
    Reminds me a bit like how our property bubble was different.

There is always the line trotted out that everyone loves the Irish and how much craic we are, shure who would want to hurt us.
    Remember that aid worker with the Irish passport that ended up decapitated ?

Has anyone ever considered what someone in the Middle East or even in Europe may know about us.
    Well we drink alcohol a lot, isn't Guinness our national drink.
    We gamble a lot, aren't we massive into horse racing.
    We have a very very Roman Catholic christian past.
    Is there anything else we could be or do that is more haram under islamist ideology.

Then add in our relationship with Uncle Sam.
    We have nearly ALL of the top US computer and tech multinationals based here with some of them having their EMEA HQs here.
    Intel, Dell, IBM, EMC, Apple, HP, Google, Facebook, etc, etc.
    Then add in the pharma and medical company giants like Pfizer, Boston Scientific, etc.

Looking at that we really must be fairly well in with the US.

Oh yeah our prime minister gets a one to one meeting with the US president in the White House every single year.
    And shure aren't all US presidents Irish descent anyway.

Then add in fact we allow US troops transit through our airports as they go off to fight in Middle East and we supposedly allowed US rendition flights as well.

Then if someone really studies the map of Ireland they might just notice the top corner is actually UK.

Then to top it off we can't protect ourselves from someone lobbing a bag full of dogshyte at us and we look a pretty soft target.

But don't worry folks the stats say you are more likely to be in road accident or get cancer, so what if your are run over by a disgruntled gentleman who believes in heaven, virgins and women wearing a bag over their head.
    :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm not arsed, and if the OECD stats are from the AGS, I wouldn't trust them.

Commonsense suggests we are much higher, unfortunately.

But, hey, never mind, youse got your pay increase.

Are you honestly trying to say that we have unreported murders that are brushed under the carpet by the Gardaí? And everyone (victims family, friends etc.) are just fine about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

"Each one hopes that if he feeds the crocodile enough, the crocodile will eat him last."

Winston Churchill.

As true today as when he said it in 1940. Sweden, Germany, and all the other European countries are under the misapprehension that if only they do everything the Islamists ask of them, then they will settle down and become good Europeans. They are wrong obviously, and the beaten, raped, and dead Europeans on their streets should be evidence enough of that. But they will keep feeding the crocodile until it eats them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Terrorists look for "soft" targets. Within Europe, TBH I don't think they don't come much softer than Ireland. I only hope British Intelligence is keeping their eye on things over here as I suspect Irish intelligence services are no where near as sophisticated as their British counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Beasty wrote: »
    Terrorists look for "soft" targets. Within Europe, TBH I don't think they don't come much softer than Ireland. I only hope British Intelligence is keeping their eye on things over here as I suspect Irish intelligence services are no where near as sophisticated as their British counterparts.

What leads you to take that view?

Beasty wrote: »

Really?
    Irish intelligence services have been keeping tabs on terrorists since the 1920s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I mean, we've already had terrorist attacks and a terrorist organization that continues to exist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The thing is all these smaller attacks in Europe aren't all being carried out by one big group. It's lone nutters who've been radicalised online or by radicalised by another extremist - very few of them have actually been trained by or ordered by the group we call ISIS to carry out attacks. They do it in ISIS's name, but most attacks have not been planned and organised by the senior members of ISIS. Of course they claim responsibility afterwards and it amounts to the same thing for victims - but it just adds to fear if we start thinking that all of these attacks are properly orchestrated by one leader/group of leaders.

Yes, we could see a lone wolf attack here. I hope we won't, but it's very much possible. We don't have as much of a problem with ghettoisation/segregation as other EU countries like the UK and France, though, so there are statistically fewer "home-grown" radicalised extremists. We need to work on integration over the coming years - it could become a problem as generations change - and avoid any sort of bigotry from either side.
    Correct me if Im wrong but Im almost sure I read a while ago that Ireland had the highest number of citizens leaving to fight in Syria per capita in the European union

bubblypop wrote: »
    Really?
    Irish intelligence services have been keeping tabs on terrorists since the 1920s.
    I mean, we've already had terrorist attacks and a terrorist organization that continues to exist...

I sincerely hope that the ones in charge don't have such a myopic, head in the sand attitude as you.
    But I do worry.

Somehow I think it was a bit easier to keep tabs on people whose customs, culture and language you shared.
    Were IRA/PIRA members living in total isolation in a parallel society ?
    Were they not integrated into society ?

How the hell do you hope to integrate Irish agents into islamist culture ?
    Will it be as easy to turn a lad who is quiet happy dying, and forfeiting the lives of his loved ones, for his cause ?

Too many people think all terrorists are the same and that is the worst starting point.

It is as stupid as the thinking that led to the aftermath of the Iraq invasion which had assumed they were all the same and they all just hated Sadam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This might sound a bit facetious, but the IRA (and other such organizations) were, at their peak, a world class terrorist organization with links throughout the global terror network. I don't think those links are dead and gone yet so I think it would be a very daft terrorist group who would consider taking action in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was in the square in tallaght earlier and someone Reported a suspicious package left near the Cinema , should have the panic among in the security staff running around trying to evacuate and find barriers in the middle of a mall ,
    Nobody seemed to have a clue

dudara wrote: »
    This might sound a bit facetious, but the IRA (and other such organizations) were, at their peak, a world class terrorist organization with links throughout the global terror network. I don't think those links are dead and gone yet so I think it would be a very daft terrorist group who would consider taking action in Ireland

That is true for "conventional" terror organisations / freedom fighters. Many of which have been trained by or cross trained with IRA members in the past.

Jihadists are a different breed. The IRA or any such splinter group cannot retaliate against an Ideology. One which recruits globally through media.

Sure where would they start? They are not going to plonk themselves in Raqqa and hit IS, even if they did, the effect would be so negligible that any attempt would be worthless.

It's just not "like for like". The IRA is a local paramilitary group who is Ireland orientated......Islamic State are completely different.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Was in the square in tallaght earlier and someone Reported a suspicious package left near the Cinema , should have the panic among in the security staff running around trying to evacuate and find barriers in the middle of a mall ,
    Nobody seemed to have a clue

They have limited or no training for such an event. Its very simple, secure the area, call the AGS, get EOD in. Thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You know i often thought it would be fairly easy for 2-3 men with just AKs

Imagine walking into Dundrum shopping centre in the weekend before Christmas when everyone is doing their shopping, have one enter from each exit and start shooting, Jesus they'd easily mow down dozens especially if one attacked from the front door and people rush to the back of the centre while another advances from that door.

Another i always thought was any normal morning on the Luas Platform in St. Stephens Green around 8am-9am surely there must be a 100 getting off the Luas that time it's packed, it would be like fish in a barrel the way everyone is slow moving coming out onto the platform

Just on Dundrum, they had the Army Ranger Wing sussing it as far back as November 2015 after Paris

They were there as a training exercise with the scenario being that the shopping centre had been attacked due to the preference of attacking heavily populated places by ISIS

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/army-ranger-wing-patrol-dundrum-shopping-centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

You think the IRA are gonna go fight ISIS :D

I've heard some silly things in my time.

Re: us as a target, not high up, but as a western nation certainly a possible target. It will happen eventually, maybe a lone wolf.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Correct me if Im wrong but Im almost sure I read a while ago that Ireland had the highest number of citizens leaving to fight in Syria per capita in the European union

We're not even close. Belgium.

This came up in conversation recently and a friend said the Ira (of today) ''wouldn't get out of bed unless someone was paying them to''. Isis are such a different animal to the Ira even at their 'best', I don't see how the Ira could hope to combat Isis. :(

They may not need to be radicalised. 2 of the Paris attackers were Syrian-trained jihadis that just slipped into the mix.

Long-term second- and third- generation attackers are often quite naturalised. The French-Belgium cell was effectively a quite contemporary Westernised bunch prior to their "turn to faith."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Essentially the only protection from these "lone wolf" type attacks is a total regression towards a North Korea style regime. Highly restricted and monitored internet, no travel, limits on freedom of speech, etc.

People are vastly overestimating IS capabilities here. These people (the ones carrying out attacks in Europe) aren't terrorist masterminds, they're simply slightly useful, easily manipulated idiots. Otherwise there would be a lot more invested in a) keeping them alive for further attacks and b) training them in more sophisticated attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

scopper wrote: »
    You think the IRA are gonna go fight ISIS :D

I've heard some silly things in my time.

Re: us as a target, not high up, but as a western nation certainly a possible target. It will happen eventually, maybe a lone wolf.

Exactly day dreaming of the highest order

The modern IRA spoofers are only interested in selling drugs

It doesn't sound facetious, but really stupid thinking that the PIRA's links around the world is going to scare away a jihadist.

This isn't the Italian Job where the boys from Blighty put the frighteners on the mafia that every chipper in England will be torched. :rolleyes:

These are the guys that have taken on special forces in France in shootouts.
    Some of these guys have fought in cut throat urban warfare in Syria and Iraq.
    Yes some of these do indeed have little or no training, but they have a death wish, don't care who they kill or main and that makes them damn dangerous.

Comparing PIRA to threat from ISIS (in particular) and indeed al qaeda encouraged and inspired terrorists is incorrect.

PIRA was at heart answerable to Army Council.
    Key operations had to be sanctioned and when certain units stepped out of line they could be dealt with harshly.
    There was one primary head even if they operated at ground level in standalone close knit cells.

As another poster said the chance is of a lone wolf attack ala Nice is high enough.
    Yes they have been in contact at some stage with jihadists, but they go off and do their own thing.
    And now even worse they are just using everyday items such as trucks and cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

The PIRA had links with other separatist and far left military organisations. They didn't have links to Jihadists and Islamic extremists groups. That's a completely different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Posted this in another thread:
    So the new census data came out today.

The first number is Ireland's muslim population. The second is the total population and the third is the percentage of the population in Ireland are Muslims. This was a 29% reported increase in the Muslim population in Republic of Ireland between 2011 and 2016.

2016 63.4 4,761.90 0.013314013
    2011 49.2 4,588.30 0.010722926

Also to bear in mind: There are a plethora of those that don't state their religion on the forms. This figure went up by a mindboggling 73% in 2016. So the Muslim figure is almost certainty higher than stated.

Typically Muslims as a percentage of your population start to cause more social unrest when they're over the 2% mark, which, we're heading for right now.

Muslim births seem to be much higher as well than native Irish, so the growth rate is closer to being exponential say.

In other words, if trends in other countries are anything to go by, you are going to start, I predict, really seeing the adverse effects of Islam on Ireland in the next three to four years or so. Come close to ten and we're in U.K Rotherham territory.

It will all end in tears.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/census-2016-summary-results-part-1-full.pdf <<<Page 72 of this document.

Good article as well on how this works within complex systems:

https://medium.com/incerto/the-most-intolerant-wins-the-dictatorship-of-the-small-minority-3f1f83ce4e15

So a muslim/islamic related scandal in the next three to four years and a massive horrible event, terrorist or Rotherham related, in the next ten years.

IF we get our act together (we won't as of now, because we're so spiritually dead and collectivist in our thinking) this might not even happen. If Fitzgerald/Zappone, George Soros and friends try and expiate the process however, you can knock a few years off of those predictions.

But who knows.

There is one coming though, if current trends stay the same or even speed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes one could happen but at this moment in time. I'm not afraid of one happening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Where would be the most likely target for an attack in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The obvious one, to me, would be Pride, Jewish Schools, any nightclub, concerts and the HQs of major companies like Facebook and Google.

2 lads with AK47s running amok in Googles European, Middle East and African HQ in Dublin would be a global story with a bigger reach than many of the smaller attacks we have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Of course we are at risk. The Sleepers have already been let in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Could easily happen and probably will happen.

A truck down grafton Street or a gaa match would be easy targets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Here's a few case studies in perspective here:

Suicide bombers at Croke Park at a GAA match, All-Ireland finals. Would they even be able to gain entry? How many casualties and damage?

Truck down O'Connell Street or Grafton Street, could that happen or be prevented in time?

Gun attack on restaurants or bars, could that be likely and at the same time avoidable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Where would be the most likely target for an attack in Ireland?

I'd say Dublin. Perhaps Parnell Street, or maybe Talbot Street, or maybe even South Leinster Street, or perhaps all 3?

Outside of Dublin, I don't know, maybe Monaghan town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Also forgot to add in Schools, we are not far off the day when we see a secondary School, or Primary has been attacked by gunmen.

It has already been looked at by people who were arrested prior to acting.

We might see a hospital being attacked, things like Christmas Mass, already foiled several plots against those.

People need to change the mindset, where ever the most brutal damage and pain can be inflicted is where they will target, often mixed with expediency, quick attacks get through etc

From the Creche to the Hospital ward where you are on your death bed are all targets now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

All it needs is one mad f@cker to get in and then bang.

• Advertisement
Advertisement