Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling -water charges and BER requirements

Options
  • 13-04-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Currently selling a property, my solicitor wants proof of water charges being paid - aren't they being abolished?

Also, in terms of BER, I also need to get a certificate. But there was a BER done less than 2 years ago, would this not be valid any more?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭custom_build

As it stands you are obliged to pay water charges before selling your property.
    The ber from two years ago is still relevant unless you have made any major changes to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Oh, I'm not even registered with Irish water so I don't even know how much is owed?? Seems silly having to pay considering they are to be abolished...

...In terms of BER, I only bought my place under 2 years ago and as a buyer I wasn't given any BER certs or anything, how could obtain these?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Currently selling a property, my solicitor wants proof of water charges being paid - aren't they being abolished?

Also, in terms of BER, I also need to get a certificate. But there was a BER done less than 2 years ago, would this not be valid any more?

Thanks

BER is valid for 10 years unless major works have been carried out. Maybe your solicitor is not aware of this.

Water charges are still required to be paid until they officially abolish it, so,currently you either hold up the sale until they abolish them or pay them to allow the sale go through and hope they initiate a refund scheme.

I suppose I'll have no choice but to pay. I don't even know how I should approach Irish Water though, like I have had no contact from them in over a year.

Is the BER something I can get from the solicitor that handled the sale of the property at the time when I bought the place? or is it gone now and do I need a brand new BER?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

I suppose I'll have no choice but to pay. I don't even know how I should approach Irish Water though, like I have had no contact from them in over a year.

Is the BER something I can get from the solicitor that handled the sale of the property at the time when I bought the place? or is it gone now and do I need a brand new BER?

I was in the same situation. I had no account no but I just rang them and paid by card. I think it took a week or so to get the certificate posted out so give yourself enough time.

• Advertisement

When you bought 2 years ago, you should have got a copy of it along with the standard legal pack, OSi Maps etc

Otherwise, you could call the SEAI with your MPRN and see if they will issue a copy or put you in touch with the assessor.

kceire wrote: »
    When you bought 2 years ago, you should have got a copy of it along with the standard legal pack, OSi Maps etc

Otherwise, you could call the SEAI with your MPRN and see if they will issue a copy or put you in touch with the assessor.

...My solicitor gave me absolutely NOTHING. She just rang me and said that my keys were available for collection at the estate agents offices. That was the last I ever heard from her.

Do you think she will try to charge me for any of those documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it the same solicitor?

Victor wrote: »
    Is it the same solicitor?

No I am not using the same solicitor this time as I felt let down by my last solicitor, she was terrible from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The water charges issue is answered multiple times in the stickied thread at the top of the forum ;)

• Advertisement

OP, I was speaking to a Fianna Fáil council lot today and specifically asked him about your situation as I had a friend recently who was in the same.

He advised that it had to paid at the moment until it becomes law and then you can apply for a refund like everyone else.

*obviously take anything that comes out of a politicians mouth with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

...My solicitor gave me absolutely NOTHING. She just rang me and said that my keys were available for collection at the estate agents offices. That was the last I ever heard from her.

Do you think she will try to charge me for any of those documents?

The BER cert would have been sent to your bank along with all the title documents by your solicitor if you had a mortgage on the property - so when your new solicitors gets the deed from your bank, it will probably be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You can get a copy of your BER cert here.
    You will need your MPRN number which will be in the upper right corner of your electricity bill.

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You can get a copy of your BER cert here.
    You will need your MPRN number which will be in the upper right corner of your electricity bill.

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

Thanks! have the report now. Do you think this will suffice or will I need to provide my solicitor with an actual certificate?

The BER report is dated 15/11/14.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks! have the report now. Do you think this will suffice or will I need to provide my solicitor with an actual certificate?

Thanks
    Save as pdf or print it out and give to solicitor

Thanks

They will require the actual cert.
    you can log onto the SEAI website and get a copy.

kceire wrote: »
    They will require the actual cert.
    you can log onto the SEAI website and get a copy.

I've searched the website and cannot find where to get a copy of the cert....:confused:

Advertisement