Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Fair enough. Maybe you just believe everything you hear on American TV stations then?

American TV stations? Where do you think I live. I just have the usual set.
    Neither do I make a habit of endorsing much of Stalin's theories, in fact I have ridiculed the crux of his philosophy on this thread.

I know the feeling. I spent much of my youth refuting the erroneous doctrines of the Basildeans and the Phibionites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So they declared war on the US ,

And have said they Will engage and shoot down aircraft in International airspace in direct violation of international law,

This should be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Being very parochial for just one moment .....

If war kicks off between the US and North Korea, what impact would it have on us here in little old Ireland?

I'm guessing zero impact.

LordSutch wrote: »

If war kicks off between the US and North Korea, what impact would it have on us here in little old Ireland?

Depends on Several factor's but likely it's going to be a short regional fight between south Korea and the US ,
    Unless china , russia and North Korea decide they have a mutual Defence threaty and we get a larger global conflict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Im sure we can divert US military flights to Shannon so as to sell them duty free, we always seem to do so in any other wars :D

Gatling wrote: »
    So they declared war on the US ,

And have said they Will engage and shoot down aircraft in International airspace in direct violation of international law,

This should be fun

Trump threatened Kim and his regime over the weekend. Trump is the President of the United States, his words have meaning, was he expecting no reaction?
    North Korea now see themselves at war, i don't think it's a bluff. There is a strong possibility now they do something provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It depends how much China is involved and on what side.

If they side with their ally and go full kinetic they can shut down the SCS easily... (those years of building artificial islands and loading them with SAMs and anti-ship missiles was for this very purpose) this would cripple trade and energy transport.

A combination of this and good old panic & media hysteria will immediately cause petrol/diesel to explode in price.
    People will hoard and there will be queues at stations.

Even if it was a brief war, the hysteria around it will cause reactionary panic buying & hoarding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I have always wondered what they would find in North Korea with liberation as far as the camps go. Would we be looking at  something akin to the  40s?

Economically: the world economy will see a depression. It all depend on the damage done, how bad it be for us.

Climate: Unknown what a regional nuclear war affects will be. You got to imagine a city blown up by a nuclear device would spread fallout to other countries.

If China involves itself who knows what will happen.

• Advertisement

I have always wondered what they would find in North Korea with liberation as far as the camps go. Would we be looking at  something akin to the  40s?

My guess is that it would be similar to the death camps in Poland/Germany but fewer number and smaller in scale.

Hell, Russia even hosts a NK labour camp for some unknown reason.

Gatling wrote: »
    Depends on Several factor's but likely it's going to be a short regional fight between south Korea and the US ,
    Unless china , russia and North Korea decide they have a mutual Defence threaty and we get a larger global conflict

The last war lasted 3 years and their defenses against an air attack was non existent, back then. North Korea has had 50 years to prepare for an air and naval attack.

My guess is that it would be similar to the death camps in Poland/Germany but fewer number and smaller in scale.

Hell, Russia even hosts a NK labour camp for some unknown reason.
    Why would it be smaller in scale? Don't they have millions in these camps?

There is no way in hell Trump will engage with nuclear weapons. He's not gong to make the US a world pariah state, no matter how deranged you think he is.

Any retaliation will be conventional and targeted and by its nature limited

Nuclear war: international companies are going to lose lot of assets and workforce in a nuclear war. There is no way a nuclear war will not sink the global economy and cause even more instability in Europe. South Korea and Japan are economic world powers. You can't lose cities and hundreds if not millions die and expect the world to continue to be the same as before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Trump really should learn to measure his words more carefully from now on, unless its too late?

BoatMad wrote: »
    There is no way in hell Trump will engage with nuclear weapons. He's not gong to make the US a world pariah state, no matter how deranged you think he is.

Any retaliation will be conventional and targeted and by its nature limited

It going to end up nuclear if the Kim regime is losing and America attempts to take it over.

back then. North Korea has had 50 years to prepare for an air and naval attack.

And america has the ability and capabilities to attack NK from the air and waters and land without too much interference from NK

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Trump really should learn to measure his words from now on, unless its too late?

im not convinced thick people can be thought stuff like that

Why would it be smaller in scale? Don't they have millions in these camps?

They have prisons and Labour camps..... the former is not always the latter.
    Though no prison is pleasant.

No one knows how many prisoners there are there.... but it certainly is not 'millions'

A couple hundred thousand according to the interwebz, based on defector estimates

• Advertisement

I don't think NK would stand a chance against a fully armed American army and the military economy to back it up.

Trump really should learn to measure his words from now on, unless its too late?

It never too late for someone smart to step in and pull us out of the fire, but Trump is not a Jack Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Nuclear war: international companies are going to lose lot of assets and workforce in a nuclear war. There is no way a nuclear war will not sink the global economy and cause even more instability in Europe. South Korea and Japan are economic world powers. You can't lose cities and hundreds if not millions die and expect the world to continue to be the same as before?

China has a much if not more to lose in a war than any nation, where do you think all you high end jeans/trainer and trinkets come from

China has a much if not more to lose in a war than any nation, where do you think all you high end jeans/trainer and trinkets come from

Trump and Kim are leading their countries to war. China is irrelevant, if they are just sitting on the sidelines?

I don't think NK would stand a chance against a fully armed American army and the military economy to back it up.

That is why they have spent 30 years trying to create their nuke/missile programmes.

It is their ace in the hole.

They know well they are conventionally overmatched by the wealthy South.

It never too late for someone smart to step in and pull us out of the fire, but Trump is not a Jack Kennedy.

just let Kelly ,break all Trumps phones, problem solved

North Korea outmatches US army by least 10 to 1 with soldiers. North Korea can launch an invasion with 10 million men at the very beginning, America and South Korea roughly only have 700,000 men, the majority of which are South Korean. It will take months for the US army and allies to muster enough troops to counter attack.

The superiority is air power, for the Americans. The North Koreans have manufactured capable missiles and have a capable anti-aircraft system to combat this air threat. It highly advanced anti-air battery can knock down any US aircraft. Cruise missiles not sure?

North Korea outmatches US army by least 10 to 1 with soldiers. North Korea can launch an invasion with 10 million men at the very beginning, America and South Korea roughly only have 700,000 men, the majority of which are South Korean. It will take months for the US army and allies to muster enough troops to counter attack.

The superiority is air power, for the Americans. The North Korean have manufactured capable missiles and have a capable anti-aircraft system to combat this. It highly advanced and can knock down US aircraft. Cruise missiles not sure?

Exactly the same thing was said about Sadam

This isnt about the success of any military effect, The US will allways win the initial combat.

Of course the mayhem that follows in the US wake has been demonstrated quite convincingly todate

How do you pronounce ISIS in Korean !!

North Korea can launch an invasion with 10 million men at the very beginning

Lol..... obviously no.... that would be 100% of all military aged males.
    It's like saying Ireland can muster a force of 2 million.

But for the lols.... where is your proof of that

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    Exactly the same thing was said about Sadam

This isnt about the success of any military effect, The US will allways win the initial combat.

Of course the mayhem that follows in the US wake has been demonstrated quite convincingly todate

How do you pronounce ISIS in Korean !!

Saddam army was about 70,000 men and the majority ran away and did not want to die for him. And still took about 2 months to take the country. The North Korean army are not going to run away.

Advertisement