Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

jackboy wrote: »
    Zero chance and Trump knows it.

But like a cornered rat, if he is under imminent threat then he might as well go out in a big nuclear fireball. What has he got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

RustyNut wrote: »
    But like a cornered rat, if he is under imminent threat then he might as well go out in a big nuclear fireball. What has he got to lose?

He has everything to lose. Even if war is inevitable he must let the US strike first to have any chance of support from China. He is not crazy or an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

jackboy wrote: »
    He has everything to lose. Even if war is inevitable he must let the US strike first to have any chance of support from China. He is not crazy or an idiot.
    I agree he's no idiot but he is playing hardball with one. IMO all bets are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

According to boards this preemptive strike is 6 months in the waiting....I'm getting bored. Maybe we need one of the bus unions to get things moving;)

I'll get my coat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I recently returned to Ireland from a trip to Tokyo. There I spoke to a group of US Marines based in the country. I asked them what they thought about Kim Jong-un and the possibility of military intervention. They responded by saying they are not worried at all, they are confident in therir abiliy to defend Japan and South Korea in the event that Kim launches any kind of attack. None of the native Japanese people I spoke with seem to have any concerns either about the safety of their Country.

Kim himself knows that if he were to launch an attack his country would be destroyed overnight.

Nothing will happen it's all a load of sabre rattling and propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I recently returned to Ireland from a trip to Tokyo. There I spoke to a group of US Marines based in the country. I asked them what they thought about Kim Jong-un and the possibility of military intervention. They responded by saying they are not worried at all, they are confident in therir abiliy to defend Japan and South Korea in the event that Kim launches any kind of attack. None of the native Japanese people I spoke with seem to have any concerns either about the safety of their Country.

Kim himself knows that if he were to launch an attack his country would be destroyed overnight.

Yeah, the marines will shoot down ballistic missiles with their rifles, hoorah. The marines are basically trained to be retarded.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Yeah, the marines will shoot down ballistic missiles with their rifles, hoorah. The marines are basically trained to be retarded.
    It's more a case that no one really believes that NK will actually start a shooting war that ensures their complete destruction, than US marines self belief in their invincibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

. The marines are basically trained to be retarded.

That's madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What then about Trumps "calm before the storm" comment?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Trump's all mouth and no trousers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The marines are basically trained to be retarded.

I'm curious, not having gone to Marine school. What is the program of instruction for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Chatter pointing to high likelyhood of tonight for a new provocation from the regime. It's Columbus Day in the US and tomorrow is the anniversary of the founding of the North Korean Workers Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Chatter pointing to high likelyhood of tonight for a new provocation from the regime. It's Columbus Day in the US and tomorrow is the founding of the North Korean Workers Party.
    Another missile test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Trump is always talking tough. But we all know now that he is full of hot air.

I have spoken to friends from China and they have zero fear of Kim and NK. They make jokes about him. He is a figure of ridicule. They are also laughing at how well he is able to wind up Trump. It gets must less new coverage than in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Chatter pointing to high likelyhood of tonight for a new provocation from the regime. It's Columbus Day in the US and tomorrow is the anniversary of the founding of the North Korean Workers Party.

Tuesday morning will highly likely see a missle launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I have spoken to friends from China and they have zero fear of Kim and NK. They make jokes about him. He is a figure of ridicule. They are also laughing at how well he is able to wind up Trump. It gets must less new coverage than in the west.

I have friends that live in North east China just 300km or so from North korea. I have lived there a bit myself.

While people joke about it there is also a nervousness about it and I wouldn't saw people are not worried

http://time.com/4572908/china-kim-jong-un-fatty-nickname/
    Chinese websites are censoring a phrase that translates as "Kim Fatty the Third," a nickname referring to the leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un.As reported by the Guardian, the Chinese phrase "Jin San Pang", which translates into the comment on Kim's weight, is widely used across the country's search engines and social media site Weibo. Searches for the phrase on Chinese search engine Baidu, as well as Weibo, returned no results earlier this week. Reports in the Hong Kong press suggested that the censorship of the phrase followed a complaint lodged by North Korean officials to the Chinese government about the derogatory nickname.

https://gizmodo.com/kim-jong-un-gets-new-mean-nickname-after-chinese-censor-1789073146
    An attempt at silencing critics of North Korea instead showcased the adaptability of written Chinese when internet users in China found a clever workaround for a banned nickname for Kim Jong Un.

Last week, Chinese web users began reporting that searches for “Fatty Kim the Third” (a widely used epithet referring to weight of Kim, his father and his grandfather) turned up no results, “the normal sign that something is being blocked despite its wide usage,” according to Reuters.

The block was evidently made at the request of North Korean officials, who “formally demanded” that Chinese citizens “not address leader Kim Jong-un in the future as ‘Kim the Fat,’” Hong Kong’s Apple Daily reports.

In response to the block, web users have developed inventive new ways to write the nickname without triggering the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People living in China probably don't need to be worried. Even if if things get explosive the Chinese are unlikely to be targetted by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gatling wrote: »
    Tuesday morning will highly likely see a missle launch

Tonight our time I meant.

Usually, if something does occur, it tends to be before midnight our time. Between 4:00 and 6:00 am Korean time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Current President of the United States is Donald Trump. He has said there is only a military option left to deal with them. He is no longer interested solving it diplomatically. We are in situation now Trump could go to war with North Korea at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Current President of the United States is Donald Trump. He has said there is only a military option left to deal with them. He is no longer interested solving it diplomatically. We are in situation now Trump could go to war with North Korea at anytime.

US bogged down in Afghanistan , US committed in Iraq, Syria , potentially an Iranian flare up is possible

No way the US military can do anything but tokenism against NK, the retaliation would trigger action against SK, and that would drag in the US on the ground.

NGTH , Not going to happen

its all rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If the US sits down and thinks about it for a moment they will realise they do not need to solve this militarily. North Korea will never strike first, they know if they do they will cease to exist in minutes. Sure no one wants North Korea to have a nuclear capability, but better that and there being no conflict than there being a conflict in which at least hundreds of thousands will be killed, possibly millions, and not to mention a significantly damaged global economy.

The lads I met were decent guys. They're based in Yokohama, A short train ride from Central Tokyo. We were at Saitama Arena watching a UFC event, We all went into Shinjuku for Yakitori after. I wouldn't describe them as 'retards' at all.

yes its sabre rattling, but Marines tend to be rather biased as to their capabilities , History shows that they are sometimes over optimistic about their abilities

Anyway asking Jarheads about military strategy is about as useful as asking a dog about his views on veganism !

All bravado and bluster. Nothing will happen. Kim is crazy, But he's not stupid. N Korea's weapons are there as deterrent. They won't cross the line. Doing so would be suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

N Korea's weapons are there as deterrent.

Deterrent from what exactly ,spending 60+ years Threatening your neighbors isn't exactly while playing the victim and saying you need nukes as a deterrent is stupid ,
    NK should be stopped getting nukes at all costs

The Chinese will continue to prop up the Kim regime. If the shyt were to hit the fan in NK The Chineese know there would be a mass exodus of N Korea's into China and a massive humanitarian crisis. They will also keep Kim from crossing the line because they also don't want the US on their door step. NK is their buffer zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes its sabre rattling, but Marines tend to be rather biased as to their capabilities , History shows that they are sometimes over optimistic about their abilities

Anyway asking Jarheads about military strategy is about as useful as asking a dog about his views on veganism !
    Marines wouldn't be involved. Air force and navy would do the job. No need to invade. 90% of the job would be done in three days. All that would be left after that would be the runners and hiders.

• Advertisement

NK should be stopped getting nukes at all costs

why , there are worse crazies that already have Nuclear options

Advertisement