Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

I think I read somewhere that the US is technically still at war with N.Korea, the 1953 agreement was a ceasefire agreement, there was no peace treaty so effectively the war never ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Huh????

Argentina invaded the Falklands!
    What else could she do??

Give the Argintinians their islands back?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

RustyNut wrote: »

But they don't belong to Argentina

Gatling wrote: »

Hence why they should be given back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Do the Falklands have some huge cultural, hostorical, or economic link to good old Britainia? Seems to me they'd have closer ties to Argentina than they would the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I think it's highly unlikely Trump would every go to war in order to gain some popularity because he knows that he'll be ridiculed one way or another, if he goes to war it will be only Trump's fault, if NK launch some form of attack on U.S soil Trump will be ridiculed for not stopping it and if he goes to war after an attack it will be the ( poor NK people being killed ) Everything he says and does he will be ridiculed the hatred of him is so powerful and the Media scum just won't let up.

He's a populist who flies by the seat of his pants and flips on issues if the wind changes.

If he think going to war would give him legitimacy or improve his rep, I think there's a high probability that he'll head that direction.

I think you have to realise he isn't s politican, he isn't really a republic or s democrat, he's just himself and to him this is exactly like reality TV. It's all about the plot twists, the keeping you on the edge of your seat and ultimately : the ratings.

It's a very different presidency to anything we've ever seen before and hopefully they we will ever see again.

If he has a conscience and a sense of what's involved in going to war, maybe he will take a more sane decision but I really don't have any confidence in him at all.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Do the Falklands have some huge cultural, hostorical, or economic link to good old Britainia?

Yes the population of the Islands are British ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Colonization complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Colonization complete.

The Patagonian people of Southern Argentina (like many other Native American groups) tell a similar story - will we be shuttling the Argentines back to Europe any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it's highly unlikely Trump would every go to war in order to gain some popularity because he knows that he'll be ridiculed one way or another, if he goes to war it will be only Trump's fault, if NK launch some form of attack on U.S soil Trump will be ridiculed for not stopping it and if he goes to war after an attack it will be the ( poor NK people being killed ) Everything he says and does he will be ridiculed the hatred of him is so powerful and the Media scum just won't let up.

I don't think this is accurate. Regardless of what your opinions of Trump are, people ridicule him because he is a terrible president, and a nasty individual who cares more about himself than anyone else or the people he is supposed to be governing, and I'm not talking about the media's portrayal of Trump here because it's largely irrelevant. I agree to a certain extent that he doesn't get fair treatment from the media. But I (and the majority of the world) don't need a biased media to give us a negative impression of Trump. All I have to do is read his twitter feed or his speeches or watch his interviews to see what a horrible, self inflated idiot he is. So this idea that's it's always the media painting Trump in a negative light and that Trump is somehow the victim is nonsense. Trump does a perfectly good job of ruining his own image himself, no media necessary, it's just who he is and he can't hide it. Except from those who don't want to see it.

I think if NK attacks the US or an ally of theirs Trump would be justified in hitting back, because that wouldn't be him starting a war. It would be NK starting the war and Trump defending his country. Which is fair enough. I think congress would approve retaliation and the general public would also support it, to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Colonization complete.

I thought the islands were entirely uninhabited when they were discovered, no? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

That's not the point. The poster said that Thatcher entered the Falklands War to improve her popularity. That's nonsense. She did increase her popularity but she had no choice but to resist a force of invasion. What British PM would have let the Argentina take the Falklands by force?

Now the sinking of the Belgrano was another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭SeanW

bilston wrote: »
    If the US sits down and thinks about it for a moment they will realise they do not need to solve this militarily. North Korea will never strike first, they know if they do they will cease to exist in minutes. Sure no one wants North Korea to have a nuclear capability, but better that and there being no conflict than there being a conflict in which at least hundreds of thousands will be killed, possibly millions, and not to mention a significantly damaged global economy.
    Yeah, sure. Because allowing a murderous, evil psychopath an increased ability to annihilate the civilised world while assuming "they'll never do it" has worked out so well in the past. Like in 1938 when Neville Chamberlain stepped off a plane with a piece of paper and pronounced "Peace in our time!" ... after all, the Nazis would never invade Poland ... it would be suicide!

It's important at this point to remember that North Korea does not need nuclear weapons for its own defense. NK borders both Red China and the Russian Federation. Neither country wants the U.S. military or another Washington Consensus country on this border, so the US is necessarily hesitant to attack it. There would be major geopolitical implications. A regime that is only acquiring such weapons "as a last resort" does not bomb civilian airliners, invade other nations and kidnap their people, assassinate other nations politicians, or any of the other acts of aggression committed by NK. It also sends a very bad message that every psycho a-hole on the planet will be allowed to build a nuclear arsenal to terrorise civilians in the civilised world.

This is bad news all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Maggie gave the green light on that one, a UK sub did the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You just want to keep your thread going! :D:D:D

Sure i make the North Korean news? I just listen to Trump and he don't seem interested in solving this crisis by peaceful means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I wonder what thought process is going on among the NK government at the moment?:
    Should we chance another missile test across northern Japan or South Korea?
    What if they shoot it down over international waters?
    How should we react?
    Jump up and down screaming about foreign aggression, or escalate to the next level?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's not the point. The poster said that Thatcher entered the Falklands War to improve her popularity. That's nonsense. She did increase her popularity but she had no choice but to resist a force of invasion. What British PM would have let the Argentina take the Falklands by force?

No I didn't. Read it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

cnocbui wrote: »
    Maggie Thatcher was accused by some of entering into the Falklands war as a means of improving her popularity.

I think Trump may well see a war with North Korea as being something that might boost his. As you pointed out, nothing else he tries is likely to do that.

Name one person who accused Thatcher of entering into the Falklands war as a means of improving her popularity.

I only see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

SeanW wrote: »
    Yeah, sure. Because allowing a murderous, evil psychopath an increased ability to annihilate the civilised world while assuming "they'll never do it" has worked out so well in the past. Like in 1938 when Neville Chamberlain stepped off a plane with a piece of paper and pronounced "Peace in our time!" ... after all, the Nazis would never invade Poland ... it would be suicide!

It's important at this point to remember that North Korea does not need nuclear weapons for its own defense. NK borders both Red China and the Russian Federation. Neither country wants the U.S. military or another Washington Consensus country on this border, so the US is necessarily hesitant to attack it. There would be major geopolitical implications. A regime that is only acquiring such weapons "as a last resort" does not bomb civilian airliners, invade other nations and kidnap their people, assassinate other nations politicians, or any of the other acts of aggression committed by NK. It also sends a very bad message that every psycho a-hole on the planet will be allowed to build a nuclear arsenal to terrorise civilians in the civilised world.

This is bad news all around.

irrespective, just like in WW2, for the US to act, NK must act first, and NK will not so act

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Huh????

Argentina invaded the Falklands!
    What else could she do??

kept the forces at home where they belong.
    the falklands were not worth the bother. they contribute nothing to the british economy. those who died in that conflict died for nothing. poor sods.
    she could have not cut the defences in the first place but there we are.
    i would suggest the idea of the conflict being engineered to happen to boost her popularity is not so far fetched.
    they do.

no they aren't. they have british ancestry alright but aren't british themselves but argentine.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kept the forces at home where they belong.
    the falklands were not worth the bother. they contribute nothing to the british economy. those who died in that conflict died for nothing. poor sods.
    she could have not cut the defences in the first place but there we are.
    i would suggest the idea of the conflict being engineered to happen to boost her popularity is not so far fetched.

they do.

no they aren't. they have british ancestry alright but aren't british themselves but argentine.

The only one that truly benefited from that farce was Jimmy Mansfield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Newsflash. Warship of a country in a state of armed conflict sunk by warship of country the armed conflict is with.
    I'm not sure I see the problem (for the record, neither did Cpt Hector Bonzo)

Oddly, the Falklands arguably is something you can blame the Americans for. The Argentinians were in control, the British had abandoned their colony on West Falkland in a deal with the Argentinians. The problem was that 'control' is a relative term, the locals were really more acting the pirate and being a nuisance to everyone, including US persons and ships. So the US Navy basically kicked everyone off, declared the islands "free of all government", and then the British came back and filled in the gap. They've been there ever since.

they have british ancestry alright but aren't british .

Run along

So no missle test from NK ,

But we got another Bombing excerise in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Name one person who accused Thatcher of entering into the Falklands war as a means of improving her popularity.

I only see you.
    Argentina had a rabid military dictator with a failing regime. He needed popularity. Wars are popular, so he started one. Thought the UK were too weak an far away to do anything.

Margaret Thatcher, the first woman Prime Minister of the UK, was a rabid dictator with a failing regime. She needed popularity. Wars are popular, so she happily joined in.

Ther's one. Definitely echoed in the press at the time. Not quite so common on todays filtered internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

So no missle test from NK ,

But we got another Bombing excerise in the south

Good to see Kim is learning his place. The tough talk from president Trump has him worried. He should be the little fat loser.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Good to see Kim is learning his place. The tough talk from president Trump has him worried. He should be the little fat loser.

He is not worried in the least. He will test his missiles (which he has every right to) whenever he wishes.

He is not worried in the least. He will test his missiles (which he has every right to) whenever he wishes.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Newsflash. Warship of a country in a state of armed conflict sunk by warship of country the armed conflict is with.
    I'm not sure I see the problem (for the record, neither did Cpt Hector Bonzo)

Oddly, the Falklands arguably is something you can blame the Americans for. The Argentinians were in control, the British had abandoned their colony on West Falkland in a deal with the Argentinians. The problem was that 'control' is a relative term, the locals were really more acting the pirate and being a nuisance to everyone, including US persons and ships. So the US Navy basically kicked everyone off, declared the islands "free of all government", and then the British came back and filled in the gap. They've been there ever since.

the ship wasn't in a state of conflict at the time. it was only sunk out of revenge. i wouldn't be surprised if other non-conflict related "reasons" were involved in the decisian to sink it as well given who we are talking about.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

the ship wasn't in a state of conflict at the time. it was only sunk out of revenge. i wouldn't be surprised if other non-conflict related "reasons" were involved in the decisian to sink it as well given who we are talking about.

The thread is about the situation on the Korean peninsula not the Falklands.

Advertisement