Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭SeanW

BoatMad wrote: »
    Aggressive commies , wow , are we back in the era of McCarthyism and " unamerican activities "

All I see in China is the rise of a huge middle class and the desire of a superpower To " stretch " it's sphere of influence , god knows the US has been at it since the 1900s.
    Right. No aggressive Commies then. Tell that to the Tibetans. No cultural genocide there? Or the people of East Turkestan. Or the Falun Gong practitioners.

Or, for that matter, every country that has China trying to steal their land or water (Japan, The Philippines, India, Bhutan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, maybe one or two others).

Oh and not to mention they are directly responsible for North Korea.

Nothing to see here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

BoatMad wrote: »
    All I see in China is the rise of a huge middle class and the desire of a superpower To " stretch " it's sphere of influence.

"Lebensraum" is I believe what the appeasers referred to it

Move along... nothing to see here... damn those dastardly democracies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Japan’s Abe is set for landslide win (estimate:311/465), as Japan votes under North Korea threats.

A "super-majority" would allow Abe to ‘propose changes’ to the current pacifist constitution, that forces it to ‘renounce war’ and currently limits its military to a self-defense role.

A more equitable balance of power in that area between Japan and China might be a good idea?
    Who's for Japan having their own nuclear arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A more equitable balance of power in that area between Japan and China might be a good idea?
    Who's for Japan having their own nuclear arsenal?

Think it's not an if, but a when (along with SK). One Seer I follow reckoned some time ago this will happen on a leasehold basis (not cheap), he also thinks big Kim will be pushed from power between Dec-Jan.

Can't help thinking China's stance has backfired somewhat: not only have they got x3 carriers in the West Pacific, subs, new deep radar and now probably shortly two additional newly n-armed neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It seems a tunnel at the North Korean nuclear test site has collapsed, killing up to 200 people.

http://in.reuters.com/article/north-korea-missiles-tunnel/tunnel-collapse-may-have-killed-200-after-n-korea-nuclear-test-japanese-broadcaster-idINKBN1D01A0

I wonder if this might be someone putting them out of business - E.g. maybe China?

Although, it is dangerous technology and there were predictions from China that the region was seismically unstable and unsuitable for this kind of activity and that exactly this could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What a lovely regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

flaneur wrote: »
    It seems a tunnel at the North Korean nuclear test site has collapsed, killing up to 200 people.

http://in.reuters.com/article/north-korea-missiles-tunnel/tunnel-collapse-may-have-killed-200-after-n-korea-nuclear-test-japanese-broadcaster-idINKBN1D01A0

I wonder if this might be someone putting them out of business - E.g. maybe China?

Although, it is dangerous technology and there were predictions from China that the region was seismically unstable and unsuitable for this kind of activity and that exactly this could happen.

As if this wasn't bad enough, there's radiation leaking from the collapsed mountainside, which is sure to cause decades of health and environmental issues for the people in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Looks like they don't have a cheerful spring ahead of them.

fxotoole wrote: »
    As if this wasn't bad enough, there's radiation leaking from the collapsed mountainside, which is sure to cause decades of health and environmental issues for the people in the area.

Which is precisely what China warned was a risk a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

... and this country is a "threat" to US security?
    If it wasn't so tragic it would be laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Which is precisely what China warned was a risk a few weeks ago.

And did the square root of dick about it. The Chinese had the power and ability to end this years ago and stood by and even encouraged it because of the big overall power play with the US.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

South Korea has seen activity that may indicate a possible new missile test?

http://nypost.com/2017/11/02/north-korean-missile-site-active-ahead-of-trump-visit-to-south/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

... and this country is a "threat" to US security?
    If it wasn't so tragic it would be laughable.

North Korea denied this report and said it was false. Could be true still, but i not putting any money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

North Korea denied this report and said it was false. Could be true still, but i not putting any money on it.

Of course they have denied it! Are you saying it hasnt happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Things should be interesting with Don visiting South Korea on the 7th & 8th. It'll be a godsend for N/K propoganda.

CNN quoting a U.S official: North Korea working on "advanced" ICBM carrying a miniaturized warhead capable of reaching the US. No more detail is provided in the report. Also Japanese fighter jets flying over the peninsula, nothing really unusual with Sth Korean & US fighters doing the same, given their alliance.

Sure it'll be grand. John Halligan TD is going to sort this whole mess out:

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-halligan-north-korea-visits-3677756-Nov2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Is there any chance of the US implementing that first strike when our three idiots are there?

Jesus wept. Who's paying for this trip?
    Halligan and Ross are utter wasters.

Halligan says they'll pay for it themselves out of their own pockets, and that they'll be going there in their capacity as private citizens.

Here's the thing though - by definition, as elected representatives, they are taxpayer funded and government representatives. So they can't claim to be doing this off their own bat.

Then there's the fact that they are essentially subverting the Dept of Foreign Affairs and deciding govt policy without consulting with the Minister for Foreign Affairs or the Taoiseach. I can't see Varadkar or Coveney being the least bit impressed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Halligan says they'll pay for it themselves out of their own pockets, and that they'll be going there in their capacity as private citizens.

Here's the thing though - by definition, as elected representatives, they are taxpayer funded and government representatives. So they can't claim to be doing this off their own bat.

Then there's the fact that they are essentially subverting the Dept of Foreign Affairs and deciding govt policy without consulting with the Minister for Foreign Affairs or the Taoiseach. I can't see Varadkar or Coveney being the least bit impressed by this.

they said they would go during their holidays. It'll be grand :)

Sure it'll be grand. John Halligan TD is going to sort this whole mess out:

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-halligan-north-korea-visits-3677756-Nov2017/

Jesus Christ, i'd pay our politicians to stop making fools out of us.

There literally is no Father Ted gif, image or meme that goes far enough with this one.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, i'd pay our politicians to stop making fools out of us.

There literally is no Father Ted gif, image or meme that goes far enough with this one.

"Ride then sideways was another one" but I don't think that would work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sometimes the work camps don't sound so bad.

South Korean Intel agency has detected activity at a site in the North consistent with a coming missile launch...

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/04/trump-asia-trip-north-korea-244541

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One hopes that if a missile is test-launched by N/K over the next few days it isn't over Japanese territory, though I reckon N/K would want that to be in peoples minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

With Trump at the helm I believe its a possibility.
    This one could be devastating if it happens.
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/ground-invasion-only-way-to-tackle-north-koreas-nuclear-weapons-program-pentagon-36290767.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Kim Jong's unfortunate habit of trying to skip the queue in the barbers is really going to cause something to kick off one of these days. He'll start sh1t but someone else will finish it.

My concern is that Trump's domestic political problems could cause him to push towards a war to deflect attention.

Already a big thread on this, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It could happen

Advertisement