Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Source??

Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Reports suggest the (mobile based) launch traveled for 50 minutes, (on a very, very, high {x10 height of the Intl' Space Station} trajectory), reaching 4,500 km ceiling, and 1,000km distance.

Thus possible normal range of 13,000 km, That's into Eastern Standard Time zones. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Time to start stocking up on Campbell's soup methinks..gonna be a lonnnnng winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia tried to claim some glory here ,

Russia’s Foreign Minister, Igor Morgulov, met with his South Korean counterpart in Seoul on Monday, where he warned that the situation with North Korea could grow to become “apocalyptic,” because of American influence. The top Russian diplomat also seemed to take credit for the recent lull in North Korean ballistic missile tests.

“We greatly value that North Korea preserves the regime of silence for two months already, and Russia actively works to make sure that the current regime continues as long as possible,” Morgulov said, going on to claim that he believes it must be the result of the “freeze for freeze” roadmap championed by China, though Morgulov was happy to share in the credit on behalf of his nation as well.

Geuss lil fat Kim didn't get the team putin memo and launched a missile ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Was any law broken here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

So this was a Hwasong-15 missile. I guess they can hit all of the continental US now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,226 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gatling wrote:
    Signs of desperation by kim

Sounds like normality to me, in north Korea, nothing like a good execution to keep people on their toes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

This stuff can never be verified and often it just propaganda. This information was given to the South Koreans by one person alleged defector.. So they are just taking one person word for it and writing news pieces about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This stuff can never be verified and often it just propaganda. This information was given to the South Koreans by one person alleged defector.. So they are just taking one person word for it and writing news pieces about it.

So how many defectors does it take?

cnocbui wrote: »
    So how many defectors does it take?
    Considering just how secretive NK is, I'd be very surprised that these defectors know anything of interest to foreign agencies. They will of course be able to tell what life is like for the ordinary soldier/sailor/shoemaker or whatever their trade was.

Unless the defector is a member of the inner circle or one of the key workers on a key project, they'll know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So, now the two infantile little brats are resorting to bragging about button sizes...

On a more positive note, high level talks are to take place between north and South Korea on 9th Jan.

So how exactly did NK get both nuclear weapons and ICBM technologies in a matter of a couple of years? Don't suppose they had any help. You are so naive. This is China's game.

Looks like we have a smoking gun indicating China's ongoing duplicity in this:
    January 2, 2018 5:00 am

China's Communist Party adopted a secret plan in September to bolster the North Korean government with increased aid and military support, including new missiles, if Pyongyang halts further nuclear tests, according to an internal party document.

The document, labeled "top secret" and dated Sept. 15—12 days after North Korea's latest underground nuclear blast—outlines China's plan for dealing with the North Korean nuclear issue. It states China will allow North Korea to keep its current arsenal of nuclear weapons, contrary to Beijing's public stance that it seeks a denuclearized Korean peninsula.

Chinese leaders also agreed to offer new assurances that the North Korean government will not be allowed to collapse, and that Beijing plans to apply sanctions "symbolically" to avoid punishing the regime of leader Kim Jong Un under a recent U.N. resolution requiring a halt to oil and gas shipments into North Korea.
    http://freebeacon.com/national-security/secret-document-reveals-china-covertly-offering-missiles-increased-aid-north-korea/

New missiles - as in new compared to the ones we already gave you.

On top of China disregarding sanctions, you also have the Russians reportedly supplying oil to NK secretly by transferring oil at sea:
    Russian tankers have supplied fuel to North Korea on at least three occasions in recent months by transferring cargoes at sea, according to two senior Western European security sources, providing an economic lifeline to the secretive Communist state.

The sales of oil or oil products from Russia, the world's second biggest oil exporter and a veto-wielding member of the United Nations Security Council, breach U.N. sanctions, the security sources said.

The transfers in October and November indicate that smuggling from Russia to North Korea has evolved to loading cargoes at sea since Reuters reported in September that North Korean ships were sailing directly from Russia to their homeland.

"Russian vessels have made ship-to-ship transfers of petrochemicals to North Korean vessels on several occasions this year in breach of sanctions," the first security source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.

Related: U.S. sanctions North Korea missile experts as Russia offers to mediate

A second source, who independently confirmed the existence of the Russian ship-to-ship fuel trade with North Korea, said there was no evidence of Russian state involvement in the latest transfers.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-tankers-have-smuggled-oil-north-korea-breach-u-n-n833531

What a time to have an imbecile in the Whitehouse.

Looks like we have a smoking gun indicating China's ongoing duplicity in this:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/secret-document-reveals-china-covertly-offering-missiles-increased-aid-north-korea/

New missiles - as in new compared to the ones we already gave you.

On top of China disregarding sanctions, you also have the Russians reportedly supplying oil to NK secretly by transferring oil at sea:

What a time to have an imbecile in the Whitehouse.

Why would China help the United States subdue an ally? Trump is a fool there was no agreement China would help the United States ever.

Russia and China are rivals to the United States and they are threatened by US foreign policies, and America politicians and media are not friendly to them. Who can say for sure if the document you posted was legitimate, but I would not be shocked if it was real.

The US , south Korea Japan and other allies should put a full naval blockcade off north Korea and forceably sieze vessels trying to break it ,
    China are playing a dangerous game here that could easily blow up in their faces ,

Why would China help the United States subdue an ally? Trump is a fool there was no agreement China would help the United States ever.

Russia and China are rivals to the United States and they are threatened by US foreign policies, and America politicians and media are not friendly to them. Who can say for sure if the document you posted was legitimate, but I would not be shocked if it was real.

Well of course China is not inclined to help the US, as I suspect they are the root cause of the current situation and seem to have been complicit in turning NK into a nuclear state.

I think the US can either wait until NK's nuclear capabilities are such they actually can wipe out US cities, and I think they will be prodded by China into doing just that, or the US can go to war now and sort this. I think the latter is the least costly option, ultimately.

• Advertisement

Well of course China is not inclined to help the US, as I suspect they are the root cause of the current situation and seem to have been complicit in turning NK into a nuclear state.

I think the US can either wait until NK's nuclear capabilities are such they actually can wipe out US cities, and I think they will be prodded by China into doing just that, or the US can go to war now and sort this. I think the latter is the least costly option, ultimately.

My take on the current situation is Trump will react negatively to a provocation. He's going to flip a switch if he believes a reaction is needed. North Korea is a ticking time bomb, its only matter of when he's going to take out Kim. There nothing good coming out of the White House regarding North Korea. Trump has a short window to react about 4 to 5 months. Will it be great to think this will be resolved peacefully? Trump is fully capable of launching a pre-emptive strike I guess we have to wait and see if they go that far to remove the nuclear threat. If it happens we just have to sit back and hope for the best and its limited war and US beats them easily. Worst case scenario we have talked about a lot on here and this will change the world we know right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, any minute now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

There will be no preemptive strike since Seoul and Tokyo are well within range of NKs conventional weapons, let alone it's nuclear ones.

Trump might be that stupid, but his Generals are not, thankfully.

Vronsky wrote: »
    There will be no preemptive strike since Seoul and Tokyo are well within range of NKs conventional weapons, let alone it's nuclear ones.

Trump might be that stupid, but his Generals are not, thankfully.

I don't think a US president is going to put the grief South Korea and Japan might experience over and above that of the prospect of the US losing a couple of cities full of people. I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I don't think a US president is going to put the grief South Korea and Japan might experience over and above that of the prospect of the US losing a couple of cities full of people. I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the threat.

North Korea wouldn’t be stupid enough to wipe out a couple of US cities. The US have the capability to incinerate their country several times over.

North Korea have no intention of using their nukes. They only wish to have them to fend off any attackers.

The only outcome of this is a stalemate.

fxotoole wrote: »
    North Korea wouldn’t be stupid enough to wipe out a couple of US cities. The US have the capability to incinerate their country several times over.

North Korea have no intention of using their nukes. They only wish to have them to fend off any attackers.

Currently it's more of a one-sided affair.

But in 5yrs time NK could well do some very serious wiping out, then actually it's stalemate.

The only change in their stance has been a new suit on Kim, can't foresee any softening on their outlook in 2023, if anything they'll be waving bigger stick(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

This thread should be renamed 'International Diplomacy for 5 year olds'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

100% correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This thread should be renamed 'International Diplomacy for 5 year olds'.

* With special needs, including ADHD & Oppositional defiant disorder.

Should suit Kim Jon very well

• Advertisement

You ignoring what the US generals in charge are saying. North Korea will be denuclearized by peaceful means or we will remove them by force. If we take it they are truthful the only real option will be war eventually. I don't see any way North Korea will give up nuclear weapons, do you?

Advertisement