Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you got the warning in Ireland would you run to shelter or hit the hard booze and chillout until the missiles arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Run to shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

branie2 wrote: »
    Run to shelter

Ironically all the students ran out of their buildings and into the streets screaming and running. Not so bright there I guess, message was clear, stay indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cup of tea, then and improvised suit made from silverfoil and sellotape.
    On the plus side property prices would suddenly become very affordable.

It sounds exactly like what happened during the episode whereby Homer Simpson
    leant on the desk at the NuPlant and accidentally pressed the big button.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

My guess is that some part of the early warning system in Hawaii was hacked by the DPRK and the US don't want to admit it.

'Wrong button' sounds a bit too simplistic. Got to have fail-safes against that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

If you got the warning in Ireland would you run to shelter or hit the hard booze and chillout until the missiles arrived?

Are you kidding? The queues to the Off licences would be miles long all over Ireland.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Popeleo wrote: »
    My guess is that some part of the early warning system in Hawaii was hacked by the DPRK and the US don't want to admit it.

'Wrong button' sounds a bit too simplistic. Got to have fail-safes against that.

there is no way in this day and age that there isnt a safety net for pushing "THE WRONG BUTTON" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

there is no way in this day and age that there isnt a safety net for pushing "THE WRONG BUTTON" LOL

You would think that wouldn't you ,

But you get the feeling there really isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Should we build underground bunkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah, you'd think, but no, they don't. The whole nuclear hair trigger thing is a disaster waiting to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Tough talk from Tillerson, his basically said if the North refuses to negotiate over its Nuclear arsenal, this will trigger a military option. Good look with that, this is a slow process to a certain outcome war.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/tillerson-encourages-talks-north-korea-says-regime-could-trigger-option-n838256

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Trump was out on the golf course when the early warning system went off "accidentally". This made him look foolish, incompetent, indifferent, not fit for office, out of touch etc etc.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that it was an accident and human error when "someone" hit the wrong button. Without a doubt it was an accident, definitely human error!

Funny all of a sudden we get a unified korean Olympic team .
    Maybe it's time Kim's fly's off in his magic spaceship and let Korea become one single democratic state

Trump was out on the golf course when the early warning system went off "accidentally". This made him look foolish, incompetent, indifferent, not fit for office, out of touch etc etc.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that it was an accident and human error when "someone" hit the wrong button.

"Without a doubt it was an accident, definitely human error"

Unless trump personally activated it ,can't see how it made him look any different .

Got one thing right simple human error ,

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

It's incredible how far Korean relations have came on so soon into trumps presidency! Even the most optimistic could not have imagined things going so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    It's incredible how far Korean relations have came on so soon into trumps presidency! Even the most optimistic could not have imagined things going so well!

Now could be a good time to invest a few bob in North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

What I can't understand is this.

The US plants these missile interceptor systems all over the place, right? They are supposed to be in South Korea. So at the mere detection of a launch from North Korea these defensive systems should engage and shoot down the missile, YES?

How come none of them shot down any of the North Korean missiles that were launched last year?
    North Korea fires off a missile that climbs into outer space and then travels over Japan and then descends into the Pacific Ocean.

If NK is such a threat then why aren't these interceptor missiles deployed?

Does the US KNOW that they are just tests? And if so then who told them? Does Kim say "Right, guys, we're firing up another shot next wednesday. No threat to anyone just testing our booster rockets this time."

And if that's the case then why does the US come out all cock-a-hoop about NK threatening anyone? Surely they must know in advance about NK launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Chrongen wrote: »
    The US plants these missile interceptor systems all over the place, right? They are supposed to be in South Korea. So at the mere detection of a launch from North Korea these defensive systems should engage and shoot down the missile, YES?

How come none of them shot down any of the North Korean missiles that were launched last year?
    North Korea fires off a missile that climbs into outer space and then travels over Japan and then descends into the Pacific Ocean.

I was curious about this previously and read an explanation stating that there are two plausible reasons.

A) They are located strategically to protect specific targets. Hence there is no point firing them for missiles that are going down in the sea.
    B) once they are activated then how they work becomes known and leads to the possibility of counter measures being developed.

Trump in his galactic stupidity says Mexico are going to pay for his retarded idea of a wall that will take decades to build. Then He says South Korea owes him a billion for missiles defenses.

The guy's a cretin and those who support him are morons.

But it is funny watching this twit

• Advertisement

I was curious about this previously and read an explanation stating that there are two plausible reasons.

A) They are located strategically to protect specific targets. Hence there is no point firing them for missiles that are going down in the sea.
    B) once they are activated then how they work becomes known and leads to the possibility of
    counter measures being developed.

This is the exact reason ,

But I'm sure we will get an alternative view at some point

B) once they are activated then how they work becomes known and leads to the possibility of counter measures being developed.

Hmmmm.......once a missile is launched it is a threat to anywhere. How can the clowns who talk of these interceptor defensive systems know where it will go?

And if you think that anybody who develops a ballistic capability will just sit there and say "Oh well, once we launch it, only Isaac Newton can determine where it lands" then you are dreaming.

These aren't cannonballs or mortar that are subject to the physical laws of simple trajectories, i.e a 45 degree angle maximises range, etc.

These are programmable and re-programmable continuous propulsions devices with the capability of directional change, range spoofing AND multiple independent warhead including multiple decoys.

So why aren't these interceptor systems going after them?

That's question number one. The next question is why the hell was the entire population of Hawaiii led to believe they were under attack? How many bombers, missiles, fighter jets, evacuation vessels launched? Not a one.

Are the Americans retards, all asleep at the wheel or is this all just a crock?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The only conclusion I can come to is that it was an accident and human error when "someone" hit the wrong button. Without a doubt it was an accident, definitely human error!

You will be surprised how out-dated a lot of the US government's systems are.

It's a simple HTML page with links. Instead of a big red button that someone has to break glass and push, you just select from the list which alert you would like to send out today.

Latest addition "False Alarm" link.
    wrongbutton.jpg&w=1484

Gatling wrote: »
    This is the exact reason ,

But I'm sure we will get an alternative view at some point

Have you heard anyone ask the question?

I haven't. Then why do you assume we'll get an explanation as to why NK missiles haven't been intercepted and / or shot down?

The moment a missile is launced it is detected and tracked. At least that's what we're led to believe.

I mean, how effective are these supposed missile defense systems if one can fire off rockets willy-nilly and not a thing is done about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Trump in his galactic stupidity says Mexico are going to pay for his retarded idea of a wall that will take decades to build. Then He says South Korea owes him a billion for missiles defenses.

The guy's a cretin and those who support him are morons.

But it is funny watching this twit

He's doing a wonderful job. Get over it.

It's a simple HTML page with links. Instead of a big red button that someone has to break glass and push, you just select from the list which alert you would like to send out today.

wrongbutton.jpg&w=1484

That is laughable. $700 billion budget? :pac:

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    He's doing a wonderful job. Get over it.

Thanks for your valued and well researched input, Ivanka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's amazing what a bit of pressure can do. Obama sat back for 8 years thinking it more important to appear on late night chat shows than to address the NK situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Have you heard anyone ask the question?

I haven't. Then why do you assume we'll get an explanation as to why NK missiles haven't been intercepted and / or shot down?

The moment a missile is launced it is detected and tracked. At least that's what we're led to believe.

I mean, how effective are these supposed missile defense systems if one can fire off rockets willy-nilly and not a thing is done about it?

Plenty of reasons given in numerous articles specifically when Japan had one fly over them, they (Jap) established it was going over them not into them, so decided not to take it out, incase it lead to further (irreversible) provocation.

• Advertisement

Indeed, like the use of IBM series 1 computers and 8 inch floppy disks that Department of Defence systems used to co-ordinate intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft. This report is dated May 2016. Due to be replaced at the end of last year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839

Advertisement