Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Discodog wrote: »
    The USA could only bomb Hiroshima because they had a plane capable of carrying the bomb.
    One of my favourite Cold War stories is the about the May Day parade in Moscow in 1947. Three bombers that looked like B29's -the sort that dropped the nukes on Japan - flew past. The sort of thing that could fly from Russia to America.

A B29 has 105,000 parts, miles of wiring and the latest technology throughout. The US spent more on B29's than on the Manhattan project to develop the Atomic Bomb. The engines had major overheating problems. Jet fuel might not melt steel beams, but a magnesium crankcase fire could hit 3,100 degrees C higher than the boiling point of steel or aluminium and go though the wing's main spar in seconds. Tricky things to get right especially in a country that was playing catch up even before the Nazi's wiped out much of the industrial base.

Those Western observers in the know chucked because they knew that the Soviets hadn't returned the three B29's that had made emergency landings in Vladivostok during the war. The whole thing was a PR stunt because the Russians just didn't have the technology.

And then a fourth one flew past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Gatling wrote: »
    It's widely acknowledged he has ,i remember china cliamed he had 20 nuclear weapons ,but I and several others including yourself have said he doesn't have the ability to mount a nuclear warhead/s to any missles​,

Well if a poster on boards tells us he can't then it must be true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A Nuke that you can't use just becomes a target that you pray doesn't get hit. Every NK facility & base would be devastated. The presence of those Nukes & I wouldn't believe the Chinese, means that the US can be totally unrestrained. It also means that once it starts it has to continue to the end or to we are sure that he no longer has a nuclear capacity.
    WTF ?
    Israel had nukes during the Yom Kippur war in 1973. They didn't use them.
    They blackmailed the US into airlifting weapons to them instead.

A nuke is like a "fleet in being". Your opponents have to remember you have it. They can push you around , but only so far. But you can't use it first or you'll be annihilated.

I could see NK trying to sell a Nuke to ISIS
    Not a chance. It could be traced back by the isotope ratios. Look at the flimsy excuse the US used to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - "terrorists from a country near yours did 9/11"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

PREG1967 wrote: »
    thats BS, they always cared about about the threat of the US on their border which was their worst nightmare, an NK collapse leaves China exposed along their border with NK which is the main reason why the fought the korean war so viciously and covertly and lost so many soldiers

That was the 1950s. Times have changed. China need America to buy their products and pay back their debts ;)
    The new China cares about one thing and one thing only...what's good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

WTF ?
    Israel had nukes during the Yom Kippur war in 1973. They didn't use them.
    They blackmailed the US into airlifting weapons to them instead.

A nuke is like a "fleet in being". Your opponents have to remember you have it. They can push you around , but only so far. But you can't use it first or you'll be annihilated.

Not a chance. It could be traced back by the isotope ratios. Look at the flimsy excuse the US used to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - "terrorists from a country near yours did 9/11"

So what ? What would the World do about it ? Rather than WTF you have just backed up my point. NK knows what will happen if they use a nuke. Some in the US military would probably love them to. The US won't instigate the use of nukes but they could knowing that nothing is going to come back at them. China isn't going to start WW3.

• Advertisement

NK was reputed to be selling nuclear technology to Syria who were building a mystery facility. The Israelis bombed it and Syria never said a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

And then a fourth one flew past.
    :D Well-told!

Samaris wrote: »
    One of the three doing a second run??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Russians copied it TU-4 So number 4 was a copy. The US were pretty naive to allow B29's to fall into Soviet hands.

A Nuke that you can't use just becomes a target that you pray doesn't get hit. Every NK facility & base would be devastated. The presence of those Nukes & I wouldn't believe the Chinese, means that the US can be totally unrestrained. It also means that once it starts it has to continue to the end or to we are sure that he no longer has a nuclear capacity.

That wouldn't happen. If ISIS or any terrorist organisation used a nuclear weapon on any Western nation and the tests showed the plutonium was produced in a NK they'd be wiped off the face of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Imminent strike from the US fleet on the way? How do they respond I wonder.

Source/link or just your 2 cents worth??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

So what ? What would the World do about it ? Rather than WTF you have just backed up my point. NK knows what will happen if they use a nuke. Some in the US military would probably love them to. The US won't instigate the use of nukes but they could knowing that nothing is going to come back at them. China isn't going to start WW3.
    the problem for the US is the longer they let NK develop their capabilities the closer they get to the end game or the point of no return where NK are safe and cant be touched for fear of the nuclear devastation their functional nukes/missiles could cause, some estimate this point of no return will take place during the next 3/4 years, it will occur during trumptime, its not a question of if but when the US will attack

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well if a poster on boards tells us he can't then it must be true.

Maybe Gatling has access to classified material he can't disclose in the public domain. I now see why he is so sure Assad used chemical weapons recently without any investigation being needed as to the who the culprit was. Back to the topic, i see there is talk the Americans might have sabotaged recent North Korean missile launches through electronic interference.

If China really believes a threat of war is imminent, I think they will find a way to get rid of Kim, if they can't rein him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

kravmaga wrote: »
    Source/link or just your 2 cents worth??

It was a question at the time in response to the breaking news of a failed missile test. There was uncertainty on what the US response would be under the command of Trump. Thankfully nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe Gatling has access to classified material he can't disclose in the public domain.

Ohhhhhh dear .

Yaaaawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

"The nuclear weapon in our possession is not illusion; it is not a commodity that may be traded for American dollars - nor is it for sale. So it cannot be put on the negotiating table with the aim to rip it off,"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/north-korea-maximum-alert-threats-170417131518873.html

The latest from North Korea, interesting video at above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Has Trump made any noises as to what they plan to do with three carrier groups off the coast of NK? There's "sit and look threatening", but they were doing that with one carrier and that didn't work. I suppose a military blockade is also possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Has Trump made any noises as to what they plan to do with three carrier groups off the coast of NK? There's "sit and look threatening", but they were doing that with one carrier and that didn't work. I suppose a military blockade is also possible.

There is an annual training exercise held there every year, even though it could be used as a cover for an attack on NK.

WASHINGTON, March 3, 2017 -- U.S. and South Korean military members joined together March 1 to participate in exercise Foal Eagle 2017, Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis told reporters today.

About 3,600 U.S. service members were deployed to join the 28,000 U.S. troops already based in South Korea for the annual exercise, which will run through April 30, Davis said.

He described the exercise as a series of joint and combined ground, air, naval and special operations field exercises, adding that it is designed in the spirit of the U.S.-South Korean mutual defense treaty of 1953.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiaqfKZwK3TAhXBvRoKHZ3dDSoQFghiMA0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pacom.mil%2FMedia%2FNews%2FNews-Article-View%2FArticle%2F1104088%2Fus-south-korea-launch-annual-foal-eagle-exercise%2F&usg=AFQjCNGvA-vexmBcrWyIXA4O_YVUnevInA

. I suppose a military blockade is also possible.

Kim mightn't have an ICBM right now but he could put a bomb on one of his cargo ships.... so a naval blocade has a rationale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I love how these threads always bring out the worlds top military strategists. You find some information on the internet and somehow you become a nuclear warfare expert. All you have are assumptions, which are worthless.

This thread should really belong in the CT forum based on a lot of posts.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is claiming to be "a nuclear warfare expert", such a thing doesn't exist anyway because a nuclear war has never been fought (Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings don't count).
    As for the rest, well it's good speculation at best, no one really knows what the next step will be.
    Just history has shown that every previous year, it just goes quiet until next years round of sabre rattling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I love how these threads always bring out the worlds top military strategists. You find some information on the internet and somehow you become a nuclear warfare expert. All you have are assumptions, which are worthless.

This thread should really belong in the CT forum based on a lot of posts.

I am sure we all know we know nothing , but we discussing giving our own opinion's on what may/if/can happen, Is that not what boards is for ?

Don't understand posts like yours at all at all. Close your account I say & move on to the reality of the world...

I don't think anyone is claiming to be "a nuclear warfare expert", such a thing doesn't exist anyway because a nuclear war has never been fought (Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings don't count).
    As for the rest, well it's good speculation at best, no one really knows what the next step will be.
    Just history has shown that every previous year, it just goes quiet until next years round of sabre rattling.

I never remember it getting this bad tbh. NK put out a statement yesterday that they will be testing missiles "Every week, month and year" at a time of their liking. They've kind of talked themselves into a corner now and in if they don't test a missile within the next month or so they'll look very weak.

All it takes now is for Trump to announce the US will be firing upon any test missiles launched from NK silos and it will end in tears.

I never remember it getting this bad tbh. NK put out a statement yesterday that they will be testing missiles "Every week, month and year" at a time of their liking. They've kind of talked themselves into a corner now and in if they don't test a missile within the next month or so they'll look very weak.

All it takes now is for Trump to announce the US will be firing upon any test missiles launched from NK silos and it will end in tears.
    I agree, the rattling is much louder this year as NK test Trump.
    Most likely with the expectation that he'll back down like all previous US leaders who have chosen not to fight and make a minor strategic concession as has happened in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No mention in mainstream media reports of how the US absolutely destroyed NK in the Korean War.

Not much reporting on US military capabilities to destroy the world and US war crimes.

Selective reporting from the free media* as usual.

*Free as in free to indulge in biased reporting and indulge in selective amnesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can we go one day without​ Murica did this and Murica did that .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gatling wrote: »
    Can we go one day without​ Murica did this and Murica did that .

Highly unlikely given their bloodlust.

But I can understand many of their cheerleading gimps wanting us to ignore America's crimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

I think they are carrying the weight of the world on their decks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

North Korea will not shoot first. They are only building weapons for defense purposes.

If there is going to be a war it be started by the American's first. Testing missiles and nukes is not unusual countries have done this since 1945.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Its not really that bad. Kim and hes generals looked relaxed and smiling the other day watching the parade. They have seen this before. I don't think even North Korea believe's Trump is mad enough to start a war with them? I think they are wrong to think that, but i not surprised they not sweating yet.

Trump will be the cause of war or he find peace somehow.

Advertisement