Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, he makes Putin look like an amateur.

au contraire! There is a difference between a skillful liar and an unskilled liar. People like ex-KGB agents and politicians (Putin is both) are the former.
    Trump is a useless liar because at this stage, we all assume anything he says is a lie by default.
    America troops never left Japan and that conflict ended 60 years ago. Unified Korea is great for business, but bad for China.

A united Korea without foreign bases would be good for business, and what's good for business is good for China.
    Beyondgone wrote: »
    Lucky them. They can copy the technology. :D

Unlikely. The seawater will degrade the rubber bands.
    Gatling wrote: »
    They have they own systems they also have aircraft it's hardly rocket science to figure out

Eh? Isn't this exacrly what it is?
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    No mention in mainstream media reports of how the US absolutely destroyed NK in the Korean War.

North Korea could have ended the war if it didn't want to be destroyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

PREG1967 wrote: »
    On the continuum that is human history 50 years is not much really, they will get there, the truth always comes out

Seriously. The North Korean regime will be lucky if they see another 50 weeks before China or the US hand them their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seriously. The North Korean regime will be lucky if they see another 50 weeks before China or the US hand them their arses.

You think China is gonna attack NK? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

As its AH I think a cartoon wouldn't go astray. :)

wuerker-madman-zmag0508.gif?w=720&h=414

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see russia vetoed​ the UN in comdeming the latest weapons test ,
    Been the odd ones out against The Us ,The EU and China who supported the move

• Advertisement

And post-1945 history shows that US usually attacks other countries, not the other way around.

Russia comes to mind ,

Selective history typical

Russia comes to mind ,

Selective history typical

The thread is about NK and the US.

If you wanna start an anti-Russia thread, fire away.

Even then, the US has attacked far more countries than Russia since 1945.

The thread is about NK

Finally we get back to topic ,

Took long enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Took long enough

NK- just do it swoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Unless the north Korean people decide not to follow their leadership the US and China would have awful trouble eradicating the old regime. Apparently the country is littered with underground bunkers and tunnels that a insurgent army could fight from making it very difficult to find and kill them.

Maybe if the west could control major population centres and show them the rest of the world isn't anything like they've been told they'll lose faith in their leader. But North Korea could put up a real defence that will be hard to break.

Previous wars have shown that if insurgents can hold up the American military with guerilla warfare they'll eventually give up and move onto another conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ScumLord wrote: »
    Unless the north Korean people decide not to follow their leadership the US and China would have awful trouble eradicating the old regime. Apparently the country is littered with underground bunkers and tunnels that a insurgent army could fight from making it very difficult to find and kill them.

Maybe if the west could control major population centres and show them the rest of the world isn't anything like they've been told they'll lose faith in their leader. But North Korea could put up a real defence that will be hard to break.

Previous wars have shown that if insurgents can hold up the American military with guerilla warfare they'll eventually give up and move onto another conflict.

Just drop food instead of bombs

Took long enough

Your selective quoting is as bad as you're inability to read the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

You think China is gonna attack NK? :confused:

No i think they are going to kill Kim and any number of his right hand men and then put in a regime that will cooperate with them. The Chinese will not let the USA take control of the region. Taking out Kim is the best option from a bad bunch of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Discodog wrote: »
    Just drop food instead of bombs

That could actually work, the only easy solutions are a coup, or some type of 'staged un-quantifiable alien type invasion'.

The idea of 'unexpected arrivals bearing gifts' worked for the Portuguese in what is now Brazil, but not so well for the Spanish invaders.

Maybe send in Daft Punk with a Bose PA, lazer show, Vegas showgirls and hand out plenty of finger food. The unknown quantity of the Dennis Rodman visit seemed to go down well last time, a good indicator.

It's not. If your country opposes US policies, your government will be overthrown or your country attacked.

I can think of a dozen countries off the top of my head that have opposed US policies and haven't been invaded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Discodog wrote: »
    I am no fan of America but someone will have to stop NK.
    Why ?

what has NK done outside Korea ?

It's not like they are going to invade Kuwait in morning.

They can't invade the neighbours, China or Russia, or South Korea and it's allies.

Why ?

what has NK done outside Korea ?

It's not like they are going to invade Kuwait in morning.

They can't invade the neighbours, China or Russia, or South Korea and it's allies.

but they are too pure, we cant corrupt them with our values

Why ?

what has NK done outside Korea ? They can't invade the neighbours, China or Russia, or South Korea and it's allies.

Are the South Koreans sure of that? Having seventy thousand guns pointed at their capital would make any country uneasy, not to mention having North Korean tunnels underneath you.

PREG1967 wrote: »
    North koreans will rise up to take back their freedoms
    That is highly unlikely, the regime has total control of the media and has complete control of the people. Any sniff of dissent, and it's life in the Gulag!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That is highly unlikely, the regime has total control of the media and has complete control of the people. Any sniff of dissent, and it's life in the Gulag!

The level of national brainwashing is unreal. People are born, raised and die in North Korea believing that the Kims are the next things to gods (and can read their minds, according to an account from someone who fled). At this stage, there are probably very very few people in North Korea who can remember a time before the Kims or who hasn't been raised with these ideas. Between that and that this lunatic is willing, able and happy to brutally execute dissenters, it is very hard to imagine how an uprising could gain traction unless starvation or something similar made the people desperate enough not to care about the huge power of the leader.

• Advertisement

The irish were in a similar state for hundreds of years under the crown u know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

The US would be mad to do that imho. NK is not a threat.It's a lot of bluster and always has been. Even the current KIM (unless he is totally out of touch with reality which I find hard to believe) will not shoot first as the response would literally flatten his country and make him an outlaw even in the eyes of the Chinese on which trade NK depends. But they are well entitled to defend themselves if attacked.And that they will.

The US would be mad to do that imho. NK is not a threat.It's a lot of bluster and always has been. Even the current KIM (unless he is totally out of touch with reality which I find hard to believe) will not shoot first as the response would literally flatten his country and make him an outlaw even in the eyes of the Chinese on which trade NK depends.
    It all depends on how much of his own rhetoric he believes. A person caught in a cocoon like he is could believe just about anything.

Just look at how the nazi generals followed Hitler until the bitter end even though towards the end they must have known he was making terrible decisions.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It all depends on how much of his own rhetoric he believes. A person caught in a cocoon like he is could believe just about anything.

Just look at how the nazi generals followed Hitler until the bitter end even though towards the end they must have known he was making terrible decisions.

I agree with that. However, NK hasn't attacked SK or Japan in the last 10 years and was well able to do that - Kim the 3rd is in power for a few years and hasn't done that either. I doubt very much he'll do anything unless provoked. Trump in my eyes is the wildcard here, the one who hasn't got a clu. His approval rates are in the dumps, he has to do something to unites the Americans behind, like Carter had to after Lewinsky - gate.So he picks a fight...

I agree with that. However, NK hasn't attacked SK or Japan in the last 10 years and was well able to do that - Kim the 3rd is in power for a few years and hasn't done that either. I doubt very much he'll do anything unless provoked.

Kim is the crazy one ,he a good chance to literally end the Korean war ,but no he's done the opposite and ramped up the retoric to dangerous levels now in the 3rd year of increasing tensions ,even China are seeing him as a danger to the point they are not siding with the US , Korea ,Japan in the UN ,
    All it will take is one accident weapon test to hit Korea or Japan or an American facility and war gets declared .

Cant blame Trump for the current situation

Kim is the crazy one ,he a good chance to literally end the Korean war ,but no he's done the opposite and ramped up the retoric to dangerous levels now in the 3rd year of increasing tensions ,even China are seeing him as a danger to the point they are not siding with the US , Korea ,Japan in the UN ,
    All it will take is one accident weapon test to hit Korea or Japan or an American facility and war gets declared .

Cant blame Trump for the current situation

I never said Kim wasn't crazy.But trump is the one who started stepping up the rethoric. But, as said, that's only my opinion. You have a different one anmd thats grand too.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm sure an "accident" could easily be arranged. ;)

I never said Kim wasn't crazy.But trump is the one who started stepping up the rethoric. But, as said, that's only my opinion. You have a different one anmd thats grand too.:-)
    I think Kim is always doing some sort of bluster, he needs to keep reminding his people that he's mixing it up with the big boys.

I could see most of these news reports being mainly for his own people, but you're right, the problem now is trump jumping into the argument. Most people know to take N.Korea with a pinch of salt, Trump is using N.Korea to promote himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Technically the war never ended so it would merely resume i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Technically the war never ended so it would merely resume i believe.

What's that famous quote?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

Advertisement