Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This has me very worried. Seriously want to leave and go back home now

It seems that the briefing will be given by th Nat Sec Adviser, the Joint Chief/s of Staff (military) and some other people. Apparently Don himself will not be there which quite literally makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've a feeling we might see something occur on Bank Holiday Monday, or the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You have to give credit to the South Koreans threat of impending war and basket case next door is developing Nuclear weapons ,but yet no sign of panic ,no queues for gas , food , emergency supplies ,
    Just life going on as normal imagine that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

seiphil wrote: »
    I'm not sure of that.?
    It seems to be the biggest military showing of all time I have seen reported.?
    I seen some videos of it earlier and it didn't look like they were toning it down.

He could be right about them toning down- although holding a big military parade might seem the opposite of that, i thought they were set to launch another missile on Tuesday. Perhaps China's influence is having an effect. The Parade could well be just chest beating/posturing for the masses so as not to lose face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Gatling wrote: »
    You have to give credit to the South Koreans threat of impending war and basket case next door is developing Nuclear weapons ,but yet no sign of panic ,no queues for gas , food , emergency supplies ,
    Just life going on as normal imagine that

North Korean threats of war are so common, it's hard for them to worry. The North threatened to attack the week I moved there and everyone at home was terrified but the South Koreans were carrying on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

but yet no sign of panic ,no queues for gas , food , emergency supplies.

The other part of it is that the ROK folks already have them, so there's no reason for them to queue for food, emergency supplies, etc. A commonly heard sentiment (especially amongst those of military age) is "The North caught our country unprepared once before. We will not let it happen again." So, until something happens to change the situation, they may as well continue.

Due to the lack of any reasonable threats or natural concerns, Irish folks are very un-inclined to consider emergency supplies until something is staring them in the face, like a snowcopalypse. Around here, emergency supplies are commonly held. I've several days of food and water in my garage and always keep it 'valid', the threat in my neck of the woods is earthquakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For me in what sense exactly? In terms of interpretation or in terms of material implications on myself? I dare say the argument that the US is the least bad power is not simply subjective but objective.

A bit of both, as i suspect the US reflects/mirrors your political values and your economic viewpoint. Others might counter your argument by stating there is no moral distinction to be made between Russian and US war crimes over the years.
    I suppose the argument is an objective viewpoint if you fall on the right side of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Entire Senate meeting at the White House this morning for a briefing on NK.
    Cannot remember this ever happening before( pre Afghan or Iraqi invasions) or was it just not as widely reported?
    Is this a rubber stamping exercise for Trump to begin war preparations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've a feeling we might see something occur on Bank Holiday Monday, or the day after.

Why? I don't think it's observed in the US and I'd be pretty certain North Korea don't observe such a western concept as a Bank Holiday

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39720696

The US military's top commander in the Pacific has said an advanced missile defence system in South Korea aims to bring North Korean leader Kim Jong-un "to his senses, not to his knees".
    Adm Harry Harris, head of US Pacific Command, told Congress the US would be ready "with the best technology" to defeat any North Korean missile threat.
    The US has also deployed warships and a submarine to the Korean peninsula.
    Sounds like the possibility of limited military action, didn't they try that in Iraq during the "liberation" of Kuwait. All it did was to leave a job half done and a revisit a few years later.

• Advertisement

didn't they try that in Iraq during the "liberation" of Kuwait. All it did was to leave a job half done and a revisit a few years later.

Technically correct they literally drove from Kuwait to the outskirts of Baghdad before realising the job was done and they hadn't planned to remove Saddam ,but as we all know now bush jr decided he'd finish what Daddy started ,
    Dealing with Kim is a whole different asylum ward ,
    Any limited strikes on the North will be met with retaliation against the south and essentially all out war ,again

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

All this stuff saying Kim will retaliate, is crazy etc is based on what? American media? What happens if Kim is not as crazy as people believe? Those artillery shells cant be blown from the sky and could cause a lot of damage. If a war breaks out it wont be a short one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

tbayers wrote: »
    All this stuff saying Kim will retaliate, is crazy etc is based on what? American media? What happens if Kim is not as crazy as people believe? Those artillery shells cant be blown from the sky and could cause a lot of damage. If a war breaks out it wont be a short one

He's exactly as crazy as people believe.

It's not even a propeganda thing, he's just mental like his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The other part of it is that the ROK folks already have them, so there's no reason for them to queue for food, emergency supplies, etc. A commonly heard sentiment (especially amongst those of military age) is "The North caught our country unprepared once before. We will not let it happen again." So, until something happens to change the situation, they may as well continue.

Due to the lack of any reasonable threats or natural concerns, Irish folks are very un-inclined to consider emergency supplies until something is staring them in the face, like a snowcopalypse. Around here, emergency supplies are commonly held. I've several days of food and water in my garage and always keep it 'valid', the threat in my neck of the woods is earthquakes.

Why are quoting something I never said?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Sonics2k wrote: »

He's exactly as crazy as people believe.

It's not even a propeganda thing, he's just mental like his father.
    Thats what im saying, we know this through rose tinted media glasses. Until someone comes out with actual personal experience dealing with Kim we actually don't know what mindset he has. It is all hear say, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Why are quoting something I never said?

He's manic. He does stuff like that. Nod wisely and walk away slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

A bit of both, as i suspect the US reflects/mirrors your political values and your economic viewpoint. Others might counter your argument by stating there is no moral distinction to be made between Russian and US war crimes over the years.
    I suppose the argument is an objective viewpoint if you fall on the right side of the spectrum.

I suspect the question of ones political and economic viewpoint is simply a further detachment from the objective realities. If we restrict ourselves to dealing with the objective facts, areas that have come under US influence/occupation in previous decades have by in large done far better than those under Russian/Soviet influence/occupation. If we return to our Korean example, I fail to see how one can make an argument that it was somehow more moral for the US to abandon South Korea (and as such preclude itself from the bloody business of conducting a war) to the Communist North, which would from where we stand today, mean nothing but a poorer, less free South.

Again this is the salient question 'compared to what' - it might have been far more peaceful if the Western powers had simply consigned Poland to Germany's sphere of influence and stand back to watch the Soviets end up crushed - but would it have been more moral? Is someone dying quietly at the hands of a death squad more moral than someone who dies to a stray bomb?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Entire Senate meeting at the White House this morning for a briefing on NK.
    Cannot remember this ever happening before( pre Afghan or Iraqi invasions) or was it just not as widely reported?
    Is this a rubber stamping exercise for Trump to begin war preparations?

Prepare for a war.

Prepare for a war.

Not necessarily true ,it seems they are planning a diplomatic route first and foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Thats what im saying, we know this through rose tinted media glasses. Until someone comes out with actual personal experience dealing with Kim we actually don't know what mindset he has. It is all hear say, is it not?

I'd say that we wouldn't be too far wrong if we supposed him to be an extreme sociopath and likely narcissistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not necessarily true ,it seems they are planning a diplomatic route first and foremost

Bit like "strategic patience" you mean.

Breaking now is a story of a failed ICBM launch from inside NK.

Edit: It's an intermediate ballistic missile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Breaking now is a story of a failed ICBM launch from inside NK.

Ah good auld Kim, at it again, the rascal.

Looks like china will have to sell him a few more

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKBN17U2XB?il=0

Not good. Only a day after Trump warned of possible conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm skeptical about their nuclear capability. Nuclear weapons are very hard to build, yet they cannot even get their missiles right?

Surely a medium to long range missile with GPS accuracy is easier to build that a nuclear warhead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

North korea is best korea

I'm skeptical about their nuclear capability. Nuclear weapons are very hard to build, yet they cannot even get their missiles right?

Surely a medium to long range missile with GPS accuracy is easier to build that a nuclear warhead?

They are using for most part china made missles of less than reputable quality going by their failure rates ,
    Building​ a missle is relatively easy if you the know how both scientifically and technical knowledge to do it ,
    Shrinking a nuclear warhead to mount on said rocket or missle with a very accurate guidance system is a hell of a lot more difficult than is been made out by some.

They are using for most part china made missles of less than reputable quality going by their failure rates ,
    Building​ a missle is relatively easy if you the know how both scientifically and technical knowledge to do it ,
    Shrinking a nuclear warhead to mount on said rocket or missle with a very accurate guidance system is a hell of a lot more difficult than is been made out by some.

Who said it wasn't difficult. Who are these "some"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Indeed...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Missle

Advertisement