Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's smart because North Korea would be bombed heavily when the war starts. America can't continue it's bombing all day. They can outmaneuver the American army if they land just like the Viet Cong did. You overestimate the Americas ability to win wars. They lost to a peasant army in Vietnam and they were a superpower with a powerful army then also.

America couldn't win so they pulled out. America forces entered Vietnam around 1965, they left in 75.. They couldn't win. They retreated from Saigon and lost.

Ask the more reason why tactical nuke strikes will be the answer. There will be no conventional war.
    Drop the MOABs!!!

That just prolongs the situation leading to more deaths. They might work in the mountains of Afghanistan but when there are only 30k U.S. troops in SK, they're no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

North Korea say they are examining operational plans to attack Guam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh no, not Guam!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Oh no, not Guam!

Sure it worked out well for the Japanese attacking Hawaii.

It's just incredulous that NK would consider attacking the U.S., not only just the outskirts but knowing that they are minuscule but that the U.S. has for decades enough nukes to probably destroy the world ten times over.

At no time has the USSR nor China ever had the temerity to threaten the U.S. openly, knowing the outcome.

Kim might be playing this game thinking it can't happen because it's simply unthinkable. But all bets are off with Trump who could only become the greatest president ever by being seen as defending his country against the most open threat ever through a pre-emptive nuclear launch.

I'd think he would be right to do so...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Dream land. This is the same military that couldn't cope with commercial airliners for 2 hours on 9/11. American military power is a myth.

There are a number of former persons of note, to include the one which controlled the fourth largest military in the world, who could speak on the matter of American military power. At last, the ones still alive.

We are not very good at winning insurgencies, this is fully agreed. We occasionally show up late to the party. We often suffer reverses for the first part of the war, we've been dealing with that problem from the Revolutionary War through the Korean War. We tend, however, once motivated, to be very, very good at breaking militaries. I strongly suspect the North Korean military is aware of this detail, and what is doubtless giving them pause is that this time there is a US president who might well use it. That using it may or may not be a good idea is academic when the end result is its effect on the Korean Peninsula.

This isn't particularly Trump's fault either. Successive governments from various countries have been kicking the can down the road, but now they have run out of road. Clinton would have been faced with exactly the same situation and basically the same choices.

Of course, now my wife is freaking out because CNN keeps saying we are in missile range. I'm trying to reassure her that San Francisco is filled with peace loving hippies and is no threat so will not be attacked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I find it flabbergasting that Trump hands out an olive leaf to North Korea. 'Lads if ye want a chat I am all for it'. Does Kim Jong-Un look like the sort of person who wants a chat. The only thing in common Trump has with him is that they were very spoilt babies and they just want their way and they cry when they don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gatling wrote: »
    C- America has been flying the length and breadth of NK with reconnaissance flights for nearly 5 decades they know where and what to hit ,

Do you honestly believe that? They were actually in Afghanistan for over a decade and they still managed to flatten hospitals and many civilian areas.

Cant believe people are falling for North Korea will strike first. He is a bit of a loon but I dont think he wants the blood of millions of innocent people on his hands. If that was the case he would of set Seoul on fire long ago with barages of artillery fire.

The only country who will fire first is the Americans.

It's smart because North Korea would be bombed heavily when the war starts. America can't continue it's bombing all day. They can outmaneuver the American army if they land just like the Viet Cong did. You overestimate the Americas ability to win wars. They lost to a peasant army in Vietnam and they were a superpower with a powerful army then also.

Also sent out of Iraq and Afghanistan with there tails firmly between there legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Don't believe a word ...

Call me a sceptical old ostrich with my head in the sand, but I'm sorry to say "I don't believe a word" of all this media hype regarding North Korea's so called nuclear ballistic missile program (as a threat to the USA).

To my mind this whole ratcheting/escalation of tension is down to elements within the media (and behind the media) who want to create a 'no going back now' scenario, similar to the situation we had prior to the 2nd Gulf War and the totally spurious "45 minute strike" lie that we were all fed.

Look at the mess we (the west) left in Iraq & Libya. Is North Korea to be next on the list?

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a no win position to be in for Trump.

a) Do nothing, allow NK to build up their nuclear arsenal, continuing to threaten the US and it's allies and destabilising the region possibly leading to a NK nuclear attack and resulting in war and countless deaths.

b) Strike preemptivly disabling the NK nuclear program but triggering war, countless deaths and destabilising the region anyway.

It's easy to be an armchair diplomat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    I know Trump is no angel himself, but Kim is threating nuclear war for God's sake.

Kim is all talk, his bark is worse than his bite, he's being making threats for yonks. In fact Mr Kim is a big fan of american basketball. :pac:
    They could send Dennis Rodman to try and talk him down. Like the time Gazza dissolved the Raul Moat situation.

It's a no win position to be in for Trump.

a) Do nothing, allow NK to build up their nuclear arsenal, continuing to threaten the US and it's allies and destabilising the region possibly leading to a NK nuclear attack and resulting in war and countless deaths.

b) Strike preemptivly disabling the NK nuclear program but triggering war, countless deaths and destabilising the region anyway.

It's easy to be an armchair diplomat.

Mate I really think you need to get a grip. Kim Jon Un killed his own uncle to be where he is today. Trump just is a staggering indictment on US society.

In terms of preemptive, destabilizing, nuclear, these are just words to these people. You really have to dumb it down a lot for them to to understand. Try Daddy can I play ball. Then you might talking their language. Because it it is very obvious that neither father played ball with their sons. Hence the hapless idiots

Theres an agreement put in place already by the North Koreans and China that they would halt there Nuclear weapons programme if the U.S stop there military drills with the South on the border of the North. Seems resonable enough but it has been rebuffed by the Americans including Obama.

It wasnt too long ago that North Korea was completely flattened by the U.S airforce, and when there was literally nothing left to bomb the yanks comitted war crimes by blowing up all the Dams in the country.

When a countries existence is threatened they will try anything in its power to get a deterrent and in North Koreas opinion this is through Nuclear weapons. Just the same way Isreal say there existence is threatened by there neighbours and theyve been allowed to aquire the big bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

LordSutch wrote: »
    Don't believe a word ...

Call me a sceptical old ostrich with my head in the sand, but I'm sorry to say "I don't believe a word" of all this media hype regarding North Korea's so called nuclear ballistic missile program (as a threat to the USA).

To my mind this whole ratcheting/escalation of tension is down to elements within the media (and behind the media) who want to create a 'no going back now' scenario, similar to the situation we had prior to the 2nd Gulf War and the totally spurious "45 minute strike" lie that we were all fed.

Look at the mess we (the west) left in Iraq & Libya. Is North Korea to be next on the list?

Rant over.

Jeeze, the first time I have ever agreed with you on something. The miniture nuke thing sounds like absolute crap.Only last year I was reading they were decades away from developing a nuke and now they have 60. My god they must be so advanced that they can work so quickly!

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,” Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Strategic Air Command during the Korean War, told the Office of Air Force History in 1984. Dean Rusk, a supporter of the war and later secretary of state, said the United States bombed “everything that moved in North Korea, every brick standing on top of another.” After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops.

They also napalmed the country. Blatant war crimes.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Theres an agreement put in place already by the North Koreans and China that they would halt there Nuclear weapons programme if the U.S stop there military drills with the South on the border of the North. Seems resonable enough but it has been rebuffed by the Americans including Obama.

It wasnt too long ago that North Korea was completely flattened by the U.S airforce, and when there was literally nothing left to bomb the yanks comitted war crimes by blowing up all the Dams in the country.

When a countries existence is threatened they will try anything in its power to get a deterrent and in North Koreas opinion this is through Nuclear weapons. Just the same way Isreal say there existence is threatened by there neighbours and theyve been allowed to aquire the big bomb.
    That is such a warped viewpoint. The only folks who challenge North Korea are, well in truth I do not know. The existence of North Korea is purely to antagonize.Whom and for what reason I have no idea why.

If you want to flip the argument, what exactly does North Korea have that anybody would want. Absolutely nothing, as I see it, other than an impoverished nation following a dictatorship.

And the only reason anybody has any interest in North Korea is because they insist on being noticed for how **** they are. Grow up (in particular your glorious leader) and let us all move on. I have to admit I am not shivering in the the bed at the threat of North Korea.

That is such a warped viewpoint. The only folks who challenge North Korea are, well in truth I do not know. The existence of North Korea is purely to antagonize.Whom and for what reason I have no idea why.

If you want to flip the argument, what exactly does North Korea have that anybody would want. Absolutely nothing, as I see it, other than an impoverished nation following a dictatorship.

And the only reason anybody has any interest in North Korea is because they insist on being noticed for how **** they are. Grow up (in particular your glorious leader) and let us all move on. I have to admit I am not shivering in the the bed at the threat of North Korea.

Because I can see a different viewpoint to you I am defending the North Koreans? Everything I have said is fact. The agreement is on the table from the North and China. Stop the military drills on the Norths border in return they will halt there Nuclear programme. What country would tolerate agressive and intimidating military drills on there border? When the Russians tried it in Cuba the Americans where a few moments away from starting all out nuclear war.

Because I can see a different viewpoint to you I am defending the North Koreans? Everything I have said is fact. The agreement is on the table from the North and China. Stop the military drills on the Norths border in return they will halt there Nuclear programme. What country would tolerate agressive and intimidating military drills on there border? When the Russians tried it in Cuba the Americans where a few moments away from starting all out nuclear war.

I really cannot argue that point. North Korea has nothing. Absolutely nothing. It depends on friendly imports from Russia and China to feed their people. The US are considering blocking these supports. And the US has a point, God knows I don't normally agree with them. You simply cannot build a society based on aggression and base your supports on other countries. North Korea has nothing and depends on others to survive. As a nation they need to understand that they need to stand on their own two feet. Russia and China can not always be with them. And they need to get rid of that little vindictive murderous twerp

I really cannot argue that point. North Korea has nothing. Absolutely nothing. It depends on friendly imports from Russia and China to feed their people. The US are considering blocking these supports. And the US has a point, God knows I don't normally agree with them. You simply cannot build a society based on aggression and base your supports on other countries. North Korea has nothing and depends on others to survive. As a nation they need to understand that they need to stand on their own two feet. Russia and China can not always be with them. And they need to get rid of that little vindictive murderous twerp

How can it stand on its own two feet when its been hit with sanction after sanction. North Korea is a ****hole and Kim is a despot who needs to go but not when its going to bring down millions of innocent people with him. Trump needs jaw jaw and not war war. It worked for Obama with Iran until the war party came back into power. There is always a way to talk instead of all of this war rhetoric.

How can it stand on its own two feet when its been hit with sanction after sanction. North Korea is a ****hole and Kim is a despot who needs to go but not when its going to bring down millions of innocent people with him. Trump needs jaw jaw and not war war. It worked for Obama with Iran until the war party came back into power. There is always a way to talk instead of all of this war rhetoric.

So stupid comment on top of stupid comment. I am laughing but I could cry if you want me to. Answer is stop ****ing around and support your own people. Are other folks trying to blow up North Korea? Answer, NO. Question WHY? They have nothing. So let communities help North Korea to have a standard of life and get rid of childish spoilt despots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see Murica bad posts every one else good crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Gatling wrote: »
    I see Murica bad posts every one else good crap

Usual tripe tbh. Same people would state America "did nothing because NK had no oil man" if Kim Fat decided to nuke Japan, SK or the US mainland.

You can't win with this crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Really? You have millions of brainwashed humans, willing to die for a leader that has said that they are going to attack the US.

You must be Ok with Kim big pongs blood lust for killing his family and anyone that fecks up using AA guns.

Or what about the millions that are believed to be in death camps?

But that's fine.. Big bad USA.

Shall we make a list of crimes by NK and crimes by the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A Fat Man for the Fat man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Really? You have millions of brainwashed humans, willing to die for a leader that has said that they are going to attack the US.

You must be Ok with Kim big pongs blood lust for killing his family and anyone that fecks up using AA guns.

Or what about the millions that are believed to be in death camps?

But that's fine.. Big bad USA.

Your post is a great example of "brainwashed humans"...you quote a load of bull from the tabloids as if it was proven fact.
    "Millions believed to be in death camps"..."believed" my hole!!.
    "Killing his family using AA guns"...wasn't the first version of that "killing them with starved Dogs" :D

Here is tomorrows "believed to be" news, Kim Jong Un has a baby cooked for his breakfast every morning, he uses a recipe he got from president Assad of Syria :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

archer22 wrote: »
    Your post is a great example of "brainwashed humans"...you quote a load of bull from the tabloids as if it was proven fact.
    "Millions believed to be in death camps"..."believed" my hole!!.
    "Killing his family using AA guns"...wasn't the first version of that "killing them with starved Dogs" :D

Here is tomorrows "believed to be" news, Kim Jong Un has a baby cooked for his breakfast every morning, he uses a recipe he got from president Assad of Syria :)

*Facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

both of them are so suited to each other

they're like two lads who didn't get hugged enough as kids and now want to take out on everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

archer22 wrote: »
    It seems the North Koreans are going for the element of surprise by announcing to the world that they are going to hit Guam! :rolleyes:
    Imagine the Japanese in 1941 warning the Americans in advance of the attack on Pearl Harbour!
    This bit of "news" still makes me laugh one year on.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/18/whitehall-suspects-kremlin-links-to-russian-euro-2016-hooligans-vladimir-putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

• Advertisement

It seems the North Koreans are going for the element of surprise by announcing to the world that they are going to hit Guam! :rolleyes:
    Imagine the Japanese in 1941 warning the Americans in advance of the attack on Pearl Harbour!
    This bit of "news" still makes me laugh one year on.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/18/whitehall-suspects-kremlin-links-to-russian-euro-2016-hooligans-vladimir-putin

And still the sheeple fall for it.

Advertisement