Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Agreed, nothing will happen here. It's bluster on both sides by 2 spoilt brats.

You are genuinely in for a shock if you think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Since 1991, the world has had way too many wars involving America. Apart from Serbia, the other countries America went to war with over that period are a total mess....

Been here recently?
    You'll never guess who's running the country now...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thanks Skylinehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Rattle that sabre harder fat boy!

Just how hard are NK prepared to push the US?
    Is it really a battle of wills now and they hope the US will back down.

This all started when the Washington Post released a intelligence assessment that said the North had miniaturized small nukes. The America Media started talking about it. Next the Media asked Trump what is he going to do about it? Remember the North has said nothing since it's last missile test. Trump says i will attack North Korea with Fire, Fury and power ( Basically saying i use nuclear weapons)..

Did you expect the North to not respond? And by the way two bombers on Monday flew across the Korean Peninsula, near the DMZ, before all this, to provoke the North. Those bombers took off from Guam.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You are genuinely in for a shock if you think that.

I think war between China and India is more likely. Kim has nothing to gain from war just destruction. Kim would have to be losing power and control to start a war. Trump is a madman, but he's own cabinet are not willing yet to accept a Korean war. This can change quickly with a military incident, but right now war is unlikely.

• Advertisement

This all started when the Washington Post released a intelligence assessment that said the North had miniaturized small nukes. The America Media started talking about it. Next the Media asked Trump what is he going to do about it? Remember the North has said nothing since it's last missile test. Trump says i will attack North Korea with Fire, Fury and power ( Basically saying i use nuclear weapons)..

Did you expect the North to not respond? And by the way two bombers on Monday flew across the Korean Peninsula, near the DMZ, before all this, to provoke the North. Those bombers took off from Guam.

Trump didn't say Nuclear weapons , thats you saying you think ,he thinks .

Bombers have been flying back and forward and have done regularly for years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure if this has been mentioned but one interesting scenario is if NK tests a missile in the vicinity of Guam. Nobody seriously thinks they will attack the island but dropping a missile 20 or 30 miles off the coast may illicit a response fron the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Rattle that sabre harder fat boy!

Just how hard are NK prepared to push the US?
    Is it really a battle of wills now and they hope the US will back down.

Considering how North Korea normally are quite unpredictable in their actions announcing that they plan on firing missiles mid-August within that range shows some caution on their part, I know people might disagree and say how can firing missiles show caution.

In my opinion, they are concerned about America following through with their words. In their eyes they have to show some sort of power retaliation after the comments but they are making clear their actions so their attempt at a power show won't be mistaken as an actual attack and result in NK itself being targeted.

Maybe I've read the situation wrong, and others feel differently, but that's what I get from their statement today.

Trump seems to be trying to build this unpredictable unstable persona for himself in some attempt to make other countries act more careful or cautiously with him. I think someone described it well when they said it is as if he aims at creating a Nixonesque persona

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but one interesting scenario is if NK tests a missile in the vicinity of Guam. Nobody seriously thinks they will attack the island but dropping a missile 20 or 30 miles off the coast may illicit a response fron the Americans.

It would be stupid of them to actually fire missiles towards Guam. Regardless of their thinking that would definately illicit some sort of responce expecially since if they launch it would at the minimum trigger the navy to try and shoot them down. They fired into the sea of japan far enough away to not enter Japans actual territory up until now but firing that far would cross Japan itself and no doubt they would try and shoot them down themselves.

They're playing a dangerous game if they escalate its that sort of carryon that basically saying "whoops did I just accidentaly a war".

bilston wrote: »

The last one came down fairly close to Japan where it was picked up on phone videos ,
    If they want a response they might be going the wrong way about it

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Trump didn't say Nuclear weapons , thats you saying you think ,he thinks .

Bombers have been flying back and forward and have done regularly for years

Look at he's twitter much? The very next day he posted about improving and upgrading Americas nuclear arms.

He also said don't forget, we will experience a war the likes of which we have not seen before? Well the world experienced WW1 and WW2 he must be talking about the use of nuclear weapons!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Infini wrote: »
    It would be stupid of them to actually fire missiles towards Guam. Regardless of their thinking that would definately illicit some sort of responce expecially since if they launch it would at the minimum trigger the navy to try and shoot them down. They fired into the sea of japan far enough away to not enter Japans actual territory up until now but firing that far would cross Japan itself and no doubt they would try and shoot them down themselves.

They're playing a dangerous game if they escalate its that sort of carryon that basically saying "whoops did I just accidentaly a war".

Recent legislation also allows Japan not only to shoot down missiles in their territory but any that are aimed as an attack at America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 iByte

I really hope they don't do anything stupid, either of them. I live just west of North Korea, and I really don't want some idiot creating an unstable environment here. The way history has gone down before, a bomb can always hit the wrong target and then we have China involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Ipso wrote: »
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    When was the last time America had a democratic voting system?

Last i checked, the guy with fewer votes is in the white house...

Pity you didn't check the rules of the election.
    Indeed. Why some people still bang on about the popular vote as if it is relevant at all. Trump didn't give a damn about winning California or the leftist enclaves.

NK is not going to do anything. They said they going to fire 4 Hwasong 12 missiles? Please NK is not going to waste 4 missiles. NK will use those missiles for a real war., not a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

iByte wrote: »
    The way history has gone down before, a bomb can always hit the wrong target and then we have China involved.

In this modern era, they're now accurate to within around 10 meters.

Look at he's twitter much? The very next day he posted about improving and upgrading Americas nuclear arms.

No don't look at Twitter and the nuclear improvement program started under Obama,
    Again your taking one man's Twitter rants as some kind facts about military options based off you filling in blanks ,
    Oh that means this and that means something else

Gatling wrote: »
    No don't look at Twitter and the nuclear improvement program started under Obama,
    Again your taking one man's Twitter rants as some kind facts about military options based off you filling in blanks ,
    Oh that means this and that means something else

If you had commonsense and logic you realize he was talking about the use of nuclear weapons against another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the missiles cross Japan at an altitude greater than 80/100/160 km will they have actually entered Japan's territory?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace

If you had commonsense and logic you realize he was talking about the use of nuclear weapons against another country.

That's you trying to translate something that isn't there.

America doesn't need nuclear weapons to take north Korea.

Fact

• Advertisement

I think war between China and India is more likely. Kim has nothing to gain from war just destruction. Kim would have to be losing power and control to start a war. Trump is a madman, but he's own cabinet are not willing yet to accept a Korean war. This can change quickly with a military incident, but right now war is unlikely.

I hope you are right but i fear you are completely wrong. I don't think it even requires an incident to kick off. The US has said it won't accept a nuclear armed NK with missiles capable of hitting the mainland US. We have crossed that line...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he specifically mentioned a program to upgrade americas nuclear arsenal. You even used the word upgrading yourself. you repeated trumps claim that he was responsible for starting the program. the program was started under obamas presidency. Again you have been corrected on basic facts and you decide to go on the attack instead of just admitting you were wrong. a very immature way to respond.

he specifically mentioned a program to upgrade americas nuclear arsenal. You even used the word upgrading yourself. you repeated trumps claim that he was responsible for starting the program. the program was started under obamas presidency. Again you have been corrected on basic facts and you decide to go on the attack instead of just admitting you were wrong. a very immature way to respond.

Fire, Fury, Power, the world will experience a war the likes of which it has never seen before? Trump is not talking about nuclear weapons? Believe what you want to.

Fire, Fury, Power, the world will experience a war the likes of which it has never seen before?

Remember shock and awe ,
    Remember the first gulf war ,

Wars like the world didn't experience till then one of the worlds most dangerous and biggest in the world wiped out in weeks .

No Nuclear weapons required

Fire, Fury, Power, the world will experience a war the likes of which it has never seen before? Trump is not talking about nuclear weapons? Believe what you want to.

this is what people are responding to

you seem to be having trouble keeping track of what you post.

I hope you are right but i fear you are completely wrong. I don't think it even requires an incident to kick off. The US has said it won't accept a nuclear armed NK with missiles capable of hitting the mainland US. We have crossed that line...

That line was crossed in 2006, when NK tested a nuke.. Trump is unpredictable i will admit. But i don't see a war? The North can wipe out South Korea and Japan today. Potentially the North missiles can strike the United State, also.. Would China doing nothing?

this is what people are responding to

you seem to be having trouble keeping track of what you post.

I can't keep track of stupidity agreed. Trump was talking about nuclear weapons, he even, talked about nuclear weapons after he said fire, fury and power.

I can't keep track of stupidity agreed. Trump was talking about nuclear weapons, he even, talked about nuclear weapons after he said fire, fury and power.

Well it was your post we were referring to so you wont get any argument from me on that.

and he never mentioned nuclear weapons.

He never mentioned war anywhere in his statement.

• Advertisement

He never mentioned war anywhere in his statement.

False. Trump said the world will experience a war the likes of which has never been seen before. The world experienced global wars, the only war the world has never seen is a nuclear war. It's obvious he's talking about nuclear weapons, and the very next day he made sure to tweet about nuclear weapons and said hopefully i will not have to use them.

Advertisement