Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

No joy when millions of people die. A nuclear war could bring in other players and end up as a global war.

This is the thing though. We are all aware of what the effects of a nuclear war would have on the world.

But you are shouting it from the rooftops as if the end is nigh, as some sort of narrative that we will wake up tomorrow and the world will not be what we once knew.

It's hard to have any sort of real discussion with you due to this.
    I merely made a comment about Trumps persona to which, a little further down the line you respond with.
    Not emotional, i just don't have time for Trump. If he starts a nuclear war don't say i did not warn you guys.

Despite this having little to nothing to do with my comments, your reply sounds like you can't wait for it all to unravel so you can use the "told you so" card.

You claim you are not letting your emotions run, but it comes across as if you are extremely worried of this happening very soon, or you just dislike Trump to that level that you label him as pure evil.

Either way I think it makes it difficult for us to move on with any constructive or progressive debate/conversation about the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

It would be one-sided war . NK don't have much support

Iran and Pakistan have friendly relations. China and Russia are friendly, but they fear economic sanctions so they play along with America. China knows war with America is highly likely in the next 5 to 10 years, so i am not confident they would not support NK.. They not be happy if nuclear weapons got used, near their border.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    This is the thing though. We are all aware of what the effects of a nuclear war would have on the world.

But you are shouting it from the rooftops as if the end is nigh, as some sort of narrative that we will wake up tomorrow and the world will not be what we once knew.

It's hard to have any sort of real discussion with you due to this.
    I merely made a comment about Trumps persona to which, a little further down the line you respond with.

Despite this having little to nothing to do with my comments, your reply sounds like you can't wait for it all to unravel so you can use the "told you so" card.

You claim you are not letting your emotions run, but it comes across as if you are extremely worried of this happening very soon, or you just dislike Trump to that level that you label him as pure evil.

Either way I think it makes it difficult for us to move on with any constructive or progressive debate/conversation about the matter.

What discussion you looking for? I can't stop war if it Happens, it happens. Trump should be removed from office before he can do damage that's the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What discussion you looking for? I can't stop war if it Happens, it happens. Trump should be removed from office before he can do damage that's the right move.

Successive presidents have ignored this man . Its way bigger than Trump.

bear1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile their citizens die from starvation.

Reality!
    North Korea is a secretive country - and, like most secretive countries, it is especially susceptible to cliche-ridden descriptions. Some such cliches are basically well-founded, while others are seriously misleading or outdated.

One of the most commonly cited cliches is that North Korea is a "destitute, starving country". Once upon a time, such a description was all too sadly correct: In the late 1990s, North Korea suffered a major famine that, according to the most recent research, led to between 500,000 and 600,000 deaths. However, starvation has long since ceased to be a fact of life in North Korea.

Admittedly, until quite recently, many major news outlets worldwide ran stories every autumn that cited international aid agencies saying that the country was on the brink of a massive famine once again. These perennially predicted famines never transpired, but the stories continued to be released at regular intervals, nonetheless.

In the last year or two, though, such predictions have disappeared. This year, North Korea enjoyed an exceptionally good harvest, which for the first time in more than two decades will be sufficient to feed the country's entire population. Indeed, according to the recent documents of the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations), North Korea's harvest totaled 5.03 million tonnes of grain this year, if converted to the cereal equivalent. To put things in perspective, in the famine years of the late 1990s, the average annual harvest was estimated (by the same FAO) to be below the 3 million tonne level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Retire kim and unite Korea as one Sovereign democratic republic /State ,

Move on to keeping the south China seas open

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Although the North Koreans have demonstrated that they can chuck them far, do we have any evidence that they can chuck them accurately?
    Even though Guam/Tokyo are in range, is their accuracy sufficient to hit them?

josip wrote: »
    Although the North Koreans have demonstrated that they can chuck them far, do we have any evidence that they can chuck them accurately?

Nothing one poster claimed they can hit with accuracy but nothing from experts ,
    One thing that was pointed out the middle fired towards Japan broke up on re-entry which would suggest a less than capable device than scare mongering are claiming

American media Kim is starving he's people.

Reality again. North Korea’s economy grew in 2016 at the fastest pace since 1999, helped by a recovery from a drought in 2015

Military spending, mining, manufacturing, and utilities such as electricity, gas, and water supplies.

Mining increased 8.4 percent on higher coal and lead production.
    Manufacturing expanded 4.8 percent.
    Utilities production jumped 22.3 percent, the biggest gain since the BOK started releasing data in 1990, due to increased water and thermal power output.

Smart move to not waste money, on tanks, airplanes. If you got nuclear weapons why bother?

Reality again. North Korea’s economy grew in 2016 at the fastest pace since 1999, helped by a recovery from a drought in 2015

According to NK figures ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

josip wrote: »
    Even though Guam/Tokyo are in range, is their accuracy sufficient to hit them?

I could be wrong but I think aiming a missile is one of the easier bits. They're fairly standard calculations that people have known about for a very long time.
    They might not get it bang on but they'd surely have enough accuracy to hit a target as big as Tokyo.

Gatling wrote: »
    Nothing one poster claimed they can hit with accuracy but nothing from experts ,
    One thing that was pointed out the middle fired towards Japan broke up on re-entry which would suggest a less than capable device than scare mongering are claiming

Experts that constantly get it wrong at every turn? North has already tested and flown ICBMs successfully towards Japan and brought them down in area they picked out. North Korea has 3 satellites in orbit that can be used in conjunction to navigate the missiles.

There is no evidence the missile broke up on reentry. The missile was not fired with a nuclear payload, so there was no need to protect the shroud.The North could self destructed the missile themselves before it hit either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

What is he talking about if it was not war? What we talking about right now?

You used the word "War" including it in Trumps speech. You made it up. Admit it and move on.

Experts that constantly get it wrong at every turn? North has already tested and flown ICBMs successfully towards Japan

There is no evidence the missile broke up on reentry.

Towards is easy it's a simple arc trajectory ,and yes the video evidence shows the missle falling in pieces which show it broke up ,

But your opinion which is what your going by is they can launch ,control and target without any evidence to back it up.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You used the word "War" including it in Trumps speech. You made it up. Admit it and move on.

He was talking about war. If you think he was talking about something else enlighten us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Military spending, mining, manufacturing, and utilities such as electricity, gas, and water supplies.

Mining increased 8.4 percent on higher coal and lead production.
    Manufacturing expanded 4.8 percent.
    Utilities production jumped 22.3 percent, the biggest gain since the BOK started releasing data in 1990, due to increased water and thermal power output.

Smart move to not waste money, on tanks, airplanes. If you got nuclear weapons why bother?

you managed to miss out this important piece
    The outlook for this year doesn’t look as good, with crop production hit by the worst drought since 2001, according to a report from the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization. Early season harvest was down by 30 percent and planting for the main crops was disrupted, the report said

Doesnt really tie into your "they're not starving" line.

Towards is easy it's a simple arc trajectory ,and yes the video evidence shows the missle falling in pieces which show it broke up ,

But your opinion which is what your going by is they can launch ,control and target without any evidence to back it up.

What video post it?

you managed to miss out this important piece

Doesnt really tie into your "they're not starving" line.

We blame North Korean for drought and bad weather now? Let's not forget America is trying to strangle them economically? If the shoe is on the other foot, America would have already attacked.

What video post it?

The video of the missle falling in pieces off the coast of Japan

• Advertisement

The video of the missle falling in pieces off the coast of Japan

The video, you saw, post it?

The video, you saw, post it?

Yes the video millions saw .

Maybe less of Twitter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

That's you trying to translate something that isn't there.

America doesn't need nuclear weapons to take north Korea.

Fact

True just a massive amount of body bags to send the boys back home in..Fact

archer22 wrote: »
    True just a massive amount of body bags to send

To North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Link?

Maybe less of Twitter ?

Found the video. So you can tell the missile broke up in the dark and it was the NK ICBM? And if it was the Missile, it came in near a city? I certain we got told it landed 200 miles+ away from the Japanese coastline. And from the video i watched the object went behind a mountain area so the light was no longer visible to camera or the naked eye.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

bananas what's going on. the last thing they should do is attack NK. I reckon they should appease fatty for the time being while hatching an assasination plan. I'm sure it will still lead to mass killings but at least it won't get the ordinary NK citizens back up. If they see their fellow country man being killed en mass in the form of collateral damage I fear they'll go for an all or nothing approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Iran and Pakistan have friendly relations. China and Russia are friendly, but they fear economic sanctions so they play along with America. China knows war with America is highly likely in the next 5 to 10 years, so i am not confident they would not support NK.. They not be happy if nuclear weapons got used, near their border.
    War between China and America is inevitable.The Chinese know this and America knows this

If you follow Chinese military development it's geared towards only one opponent.
    The amount of effort the Chinese are putting into weapons and means to destroy Aircraft Carriers is astounding...some even believe their own Carrier construction is largely to gain total understanding of Aircraft Carriers inside and out, which will be of vital importance in fine tuning weapons to destroy such machines.

The only nation in the world that depends on Aircraft Carriers is the United States.

The United States for their part has a policy of containment of China by surrounding it with as many military bases as possible.

And that reason alone even if no other is why China will never tolerate American friendly South Korea or any pro American regime in North Korea...and most certainly never American troops on its border!.

• Advertisement

This city fits the location where the object was seen. Where the object came down would be sea just behind the mountain. The object reentry looks successful to me, the object was only a few miles off the ground from taking out this city.

sapporo1-xl.jpg

Advertisement