Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    A tactical masterplan (if they had continued it) during a war, aimed at a military area. There's a difference.

I've heard Pearl Harbour called many things, a tactical master plan wasn't one of them. They caught the 'sleeping giant' off guard, while negotiations were going on - and I don't think war was declared.

How could they have followed up on this tactical master plan to secure victory in the Pacific? If that was not possible a surprise attack could not be considered any sort of master plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

archer22 wrote: »
    A bit like saying the TET offensive was the reason America went into Vietnam.

Not exactly...

" there has never been a single Asian warplane bombing our countries" - that's just plainly incorrect, by any definition. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm supposing the actuality of fallout [in the atomic way] from a US response to an NK launch of missiles into US territory might help guide neighbourly attitude towards NK, even if they would be very annoyed at the US for responding in a tit for tat way towards a 1st strike from NK. I'm supposing that that would also factor into how neighbours of NK view it's baiting of Don, not baiting of the US. It has been obvious for months now that Don responds to stimuli in an erratic way and that the NK leadership has been pushing his buttons for the past few weeks. The notion that China is unaware of Don's thought and reaction process by now is stupid, it has to be aware that too much pushing may end badly for all, resulting in a woeful summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Amirani wrote: »
    Not exactly...

" there has never been a single Asian warplane bombing our countries" - that's just plainly incorrect, by any definition. :D

Was Hawaii our country ?....are its people white?...or is it a foreign nation in the Pacific taken by force?.

So unless you can show me how Hawaii was rightfully our country and it's skies were rightfully our skies..I stand by my statement and dispute your claim that it is "plainly incorrect".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Any missile NK fires at Guam will have to pass over Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Any missile NK fires at Guam will have to pass over Japan.

Agree, so it may well be Shinzō Abe who'll be making initial decisions, as to what to do and not DT.

Kim gets plan blueprints tomorrow according to the news, but no one has seen him for 2weeks now, maybe he's locked himself inside a fast-foot outlet?

All this pans out well for the US's partners there, who may well decide to start to arm themselves to the teeth before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I wonder would it be possible for the Yanks to assassinate Mr Un and make it look like an accident?

This is good news for the stock markets tomorrow, and generally as expected:

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un says he will watch the actions of the United States a while longer before making a decision on firing a missile towards Guam. Source: AAP

SSr0 wrote: »
    I wonder would it be possible for the Yanks to assassinate Mr Un and make it look like an accident?

Or Mr Un assassinate Mr Trump and make it look like a hidden camera show ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I've heard Pearl Harbour called many things, a tactical master plan wasn't one of them. They caught the 'sleeping giant' off guard, while negotiations were going on - and I don't think war was declared.

How could they have followed up on this tactical master plan to secure victory in the Pacific? If that was not possible a surprise attack could not be considered any sort of master plan.

That's the exact reason why it was a tactical master plan. The Americans had absolutely no idea it would happen. Their plan was to completely prevent the US from entering in the Pacific theater and that is what I meant with 'following up'. If they had bothered to launch a third attack, which would have targeted fuel and weapon depots the US would have lost about an extra year to try and rebuild it's navy, this was later confirmed by Nimitz himself.

The attack was supposed to happen 30mins after Japan had official declared war on the US, but due to miscommunication that happened a few hours after the attack. That's why PH was different than for example attacks by the US on certain other countries.

• Advertisement

The latest statement sounds like NK are changing their tune, obviously realising they'll be quickly outmatched.

The United States, which was the first to bring numerous strategic nuclear equipment near us, should first make the right decision and show through actions if they wish to ease tensions on the Korean peninsula and prevent a dangerous military clash," Kim was cited as saying in the report by KCNA on Tuesday..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was Hawaii our country ?..

Might have a few Irish bars but it's definitely not ours

Meanwhile half a million people infected with Cholera now in Yemen...thanks to us ally Saudi Arabia using its American and British supplied WMD's.
    And western media ignores it ...but tells its sheeple how bad the North Korean leader is for dropping rockets into the sea and possibly killing a few Mackerel :rolleyes:

Meanwhile half a million people infected with Cholera now in Yemen...thanks to us ally Saudi Arabia using its American and British supplied WMD's.
    And western media ignores it ...but tells its sheeple how bad the North Korean leader is for dropping rockets into the sea and possibly killing a few Mackerel :rolleyes:

They can both be bad, you realize that right ?

This is good news for the stock markets tomorrow, and generally as expected:

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un says he will watch the actions of the United States a while longer before making a decision on firing a missile towards Guam. Source: AAP

Kim realising that he could be in spot of bother with his rein ,
    Apparently he hasn't been seen much in public for two weeks now ,
    Could be something be happening ?

They can both be bad, you realize that right ?

Yeah agree with you actually...whats the bloody point in killing Mackerel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

SPY satellites have observed North Korea moving a missile into position for a possible launch, with the US saying its forces are on high alert.
    Officials have told US media that spy satellites have observed DPRK mobile missile launcher movement, indicating an intermediate-ballistic missile may be being prepared.

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/897191010731556864

Looks like another ICBM test not firing of missiles towards Guam, maybe? Where is the missile going to be fired to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Trump moves to crack down on China trade practices

Trump signed a memorandum Monday that directs U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to determine whether an investigation is needed into alleged unfair Chinese trade practices. Shortly after Trump signed the directive, Lighthizer said his office will launch a probe and, "if needed, take action to preserve the future of U.S. industry."
    The move represents the first step in a process that could allow Trump to impose tariffs on Chinese imports or other punishing trade actions.
    "This is just the beginning," Trump said at the White House Monday. "We will defend our workers."#

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/news/trump-trade-china-ip/index.html

Trump is an idiot. I would not be surprised if China gave the North a green light to test another missile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

SSr0 wrote: »

What would be the point? What would happen next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

That's the exact reason why it was a tactical master plan.

Which ultimately led the US declaring war on it and nuking two of its cities. As strategies go attacking the US could hardly be called a master plan. I also refer you to those publicly behind the 911 attacks.

Without it being officially at war PH was more like what we'd consider a terrorist attack now. Unless you'd consider the surprise 911 attacks a Master plan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0815/897410-north_korea/

Strong leadership from president Trump has forced the big Fat Korean windbag to wind his neck in, bigly. Well done Mr. President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Auld KIm is backing down.

Leaves room for negotiations now.

Well I suppose he had to back down, it's nearly near the end of August. I suppose all this will start up again in March-April?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Auld KIm is backing down.

Leaves room for negotiations now.

Something we never witnessed under Barack "talk show" Obama is standing up to this Fat bas tard Kim. Trump has planted the seed that he would be crazy to even think of launching any more missile tests near Guam. Strong leadership goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0815/897410-north_korea/

Strong leadership from president Trump...
    ..Strong leadership goes a long way.

BillyBob, are you genuine?

Something we never witnessed under Barack "talk show" Obama is standing up to this Fat bas tard Kim. Trump has planted the seed that he would be crazy to even think of launching any more missile tests near Guam. Strong leadership goes a long way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/us-developing-missile-shield-to-guard-against-nuclear-attack-fro/

Same message, calmer tone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35828831
    "US President Barack Obama has issued an executive order imposing new sanctions on North Korea, after its "illicit" nuclear test and satellite launch.
    It freezes North Korean government property in America and bans US exports to, or investment in, North Korea.
    The order also greatly expands powers to blacklist anyone, including non-Americans, dealing with North Korea.
    The 6 January nuclear test and 7 February satellite launch were violations of existing UNsanctions.
    President Obama 's order includes measures from the recently agreed UN Security Council sanctions - the toughest sanctions in decades against North Korea."

If you genuinely think NK will 'back off' you have absolutely zero idea about the issue. They'll just wait until Trump is focused on something else and then go at it again. It's what they do.

An hour or so before this news dropped there was another claim by the US that they had noticed NK moving missiles and saw a lot of activity on these missile sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/us-developing-missile-shield-to-guard-against-nuclear-attack-fro/

Same message, calmer tone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35828831

If you genuinely think NK will 'back off' you have absolutely zero idea about the issue. They'll just wait until Trump is focused on something else and then go at it again. It's what they do.

An hour or so before this news dropped there was another claim by the US that they had noticed NK moving missiles and saw a lot of activity on these missile sites.

They really are like the ADHD child in the classroom.

Reminds me of this:

Well done Kim lad you got balls of steel....you and your little nation has got half the world ****ting in their pants :D

Well done Kim lad you got balls of steel....you and your little nation has got half the world ****ting in their pants :D

Just when you think it can't get any worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oh look, it was just a war of words. Some of us were right. And life goes on as normal...

• Advertisement

Trump is an idiot.
    And then..
    I would not be surprised if China gave the North a green light to test another missile?
    You have an enviable lack of self-awareness thinking that China would greenlight a nuclear war because Trump is looking at trade.

Advertisement