Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

bilston wrote: »

A relatively painless uprising inside N.Korea seems the best case solution.

How could something like this possibly work. When you live in a community where your children are taught to report on you, there is no potential for an uprising. Everybody is scared to say anything. This is Hitler Youth and some.

You will say what you are supposed to say, you will live as you are told to live OR ELSE..

So explain how you rise up against that when each day you are scared to simply live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

How could something like this possibly work. When you live in a community where your children are taught to report on you, there is no potential for an uprising. Everybody is scared to say anything. This is Hitler Youth and some.

You will say what you are supposed to say, you will live as you are told to live OR ELSE..

So explain how you rise up against that when each day you are scared to simply live?

Agree with this. Zero chance of an uprising. Maybe a coup from the generals to get rid of Fat Kim is an outside runner but i doubt we'll be seeing that either.

This sh itshow unfortunately could lead to WW3 and sooner than we all think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I think this is going to just end with him launching a live nuke at the sea, causing major pollution.

I don't think it will lead to WWIII, mostly because China isn't overly keen on chaos and economic suicide.

flaneur wrote: »
    I think this is going to just end with him launching a live nuke at the sea, causing major pollution.

I don't think it will lead to WWIII, mostly because China isn't overly keen on chaos and economic suicide.
    The only way this could lead to WWIII is if the US attacks NK and China or Russia retaliate, If the US just takes out the NK regime and (with tacit support from China & Russia) and then only the SK army invades, then we could have a short local war.

I would suspect that's likely.

China should really try to step in and manage the North Korea regime towards something less insane.

It's not in anyone's interests to have this blow up and cause a major mess. Even just from an environmental risk point of view should someone release nuclear or chemical material is not a very pleasant prospect in a highly populated region of the world.

• Advertisement

China should really try to step in and manage the North Korea regime towards something less insane.

China is likely hoping that NK will nuke Japan, and then, they can expand into NK for it's territory using conventional invasion/occupation. China & the Chinese people have still not forgotten/forgivene Japanese occupation during ww2.. and would love to see a few million japanese killed off. The recent documentary/movie on the rape of pregnant women has just reignited that popular anger towards Japan.
    It's not in anyone's interests to have this blow up and cause a major mess. Even just from an environmental risk point of view should someone release nuclear or chemical material is not a very pleasant prospect in a highly populated region of the world.

It's in China's interest. They can step in and gain much needed land for growing crops and expansion. They're facing a population boom with 2nd children outnumbering the 1st children.. and they've totally polluted large areas of their farming land.

China will also not allow anyone to nuke N.Korea. That's well known.. and nobody is going to cross them on that. China can step in and be seen as the 'good guy' by stopping the unreasonable western aggresssion.. state media has had decades working on this subject.

Bizarre that the people of NK still haven't been told about the test. Also strange not a single word out of the white house yet about it don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have seen better rockets built on Scrapheap Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Oh, they've tried...and tried. But Kim and his father wouldn't listen. Any opening of the economy risks loss of control. and that's a no-no for the regime.
    BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Agree with this. Zero chance of an uprising. Maybe a coup from the generals to get rid of Fat Kim is an outside runner but i doubt we'll be seeing that either.

It would be the optimal solution but North Korea is so tightly controlled, I doubt any plot has a chance of success. Who would the generals trust in this nest of snakes? I read somewhere-sorry, no link-that Hyon Yong Chol had been sounding out members of the Chinese government on a possible move against Kim jong Un. But one chinese official close to the Kim regime told Kim about the approach and Hyon was premptorily murdered. So if the Chinese government is be split on the issue, where's the opening for any anti-Kim faction to move?

It's also weird that the missile seems to have been launched from a civilian airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

they had rockets travelling 10,800 kph for 2,700 km?

Maybe that's an attempt at humour but I'm sure the people of Japan didn't find it funny when they got the texts and heard the sirens telling them a missile was incoming. I don't find the situation in any way amusing personally. North Korea have the technology, they have nuclear weapons and they have a madman with his finger on the button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's also weird that the missile seems to have been launched from a civilian airport.

Theres a civilian airport in North Korea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    This sh itshow unfortunately could lead to WW3 and sooner than we all think.

Zero chance. This is a very localised standoff, that may well lead to very brief localised action to resolve it. Nothing to do with anywhere else in the 'World'.

It may also drag out for another couple of decades of the same hyperbole. But the bigger danger with that is that in 15-20yrs, China would become the most serious force on the planet. The top dog.

It would have very little effect on the rest of the world (even in the worst case scenario). Action now would be largely contained and resolved within 20mins. This action would only ever involve four concerned parties NK, SK, Jap & US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"firing a missile over Japan is outrageous"

Says the country who nuked it.

Twice.

Some irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

But the bigger danger with that is that in 15-20yrs, China would become the most serious force on the planet. The top dog.

Why is this a danger? Don't China deserve their place considering all their hard work and sacrifice?

The top dog at the moment is a basket case of debt and are led my a crazy person. Their reign is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Why is this a danger? Don't China deserve their place considering all their hard work and sacrifice?

The top dog at the moment is a basket case of debt and are led my a crazy person. Their reign is over.

Sacrifice of free speech and clean air you mean?
    Social development is equally as important as industrial development.

If you prefer to be lead by authoritarian regime, rather than an freely, democratically elected representative, guess it may suit you.

US has some big issues, but also has potential to spearhead the 4th Industrial Revelation, and social development - but only if it pulls it's sock up quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Twice.

Some irony.

Did Japan declare war on North Korea recently and I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of the problems with NK is if kim is removed give it 12 months and we start all over again with another Chinese /Russian puppet who will only be too happy to carry on developing nukes ,
    And we start all over again ,

Reunification is probably the best bet but uncle jinping and putin would never allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Theres a civilian airport in North Korea?

They have at least one, as Denis Rodman will tell you.
    They also have nuclear weapons and ICBMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gatling wrote: »
    One of the problems with NK is if kim is removed give it 12 months and we start all over again with another Chinese /Russian puppet who will only be too happy to carry on developing nukes ,
    And we start all over again ,

Reunification is probably the best bet but uncle jinping and putin would never allow it

Funny how the Russian puppet government in Ukraine never developed any Nuclear weapons nor there neighbours in todays Kazakhstan. If the Americans agreed not to base troops in a reunified Korea I am sure the Russians or Chinese wouldnt mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Twice.

There's been a lot of water under the bridge since 1945. Do you think the Japanese care a jot about ancient (for it might as well be) history in the present circumstances?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Funny how the Russian puppet government in Ukraine never developed any Nuclear weapons .

No they had Nuclear weapons and russia then insisted they hand them to them and signed a non aggression treaty ,

What happened next russia invaded and occupied Crimea and east Ukraine ,

Moral of the story don't trust russia or their friends

A unified Korea wouldn't need american soldiers but with china claiming the whole south China sea I get the feelings a unified Korea would want US military forces on their sovereign territory

No they had Nuclear weapons and russia then insisted they hand them to them and signed a non aggression treaty ,

What happened next russia invaded and occupied Crimea and east Ukraine ,

Moral of the story don't trust russia or their friends

Just like Nato said they wouldnt go beyond East Germany. Trust nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Funny how the Russian puppet government in Ukraine never developed any Nuclear weapons nor there neighbours in todays Kazakhstan. If the Americans agreed not to base troops in a reunified Korea I am sure the Russians or Chinese wouldnt mind.

Both had them though but did a deal to give them up.

If NK did the same, it would be of enormous benefit to the people - few states care so utterly little about its own people as NK however.

It spends what, about a quarter of its GDP on military, most countries are 1 or 2 % - even ones with better equipped armies.

Just like Nato said they wouldnt go beyond East Germany .

But they didn't no new Nato bases have been built ,
    But hey

A unified Korea wouldn't need american soldiers but with china claiming the whole south China sea I get the feelings a unified Korea would want US military forces on their sovereign territory

So its ok for an American puppet government in Korea a country who is 10000km away but not for a Chinese or Russian one who they share a border with?

Both had them though but did a deal to give them up.

If NK did the same, it would be of enormous benefit to the people - few states care so utterly little about its own people as NK however.

It spends what, about a quarter of its GDP on military, most countries are 1 or 2 % - even ones with better equipped armies.

If everybody gave up there Nuclear weapons it would be an enormous benefit for the whole planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So its ok for an American puppet government in Korea a country who is 10000km away but not for a Chinese or Russian one who they share a border with?

Yeah, damn those south koreans who believe in democracy.

• Advertisement

Yeah, damn those south koreans who believe in democracy

Democracy Murica style. Hows Saudi Arabian democracy treating there civilians or the civilians of Yemen?

Advertisement