Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Both had them though but did a deal to give them up.

If NK did the same, it would be of enormous benefit to the people - few states care so utterly little about its own people as NK however.

It spends what, about a quarter of its GDP on military, most countries are 1 or 2 % - even ones with better equipped armies.

If everybody gave up there Nuclear weapons it would be an enormous benefit for the whole planet.

Yeah, you're probably right as eventually they will be used.

However I suspect WW3 would already have happened had it not been for nuclear weapons, in fact we would probably onto WW4 or WW5 by now. They definitely do work as a deterrent.

However it only takes one person to feck it up and take things too far...and unfortunately it will happen...whether that's next month, 10 years time, 100 years or 500 years time it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Democracy Murica style. Hows Saudi Arabian democracy treating there civilians or the civilians of Yemen?

we are talking about south korea not saudi arabia. You know the south korea with the elections and stuff? I'm not sure how you can describe saudi arabia as a democracy. You seem incredibly misinformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

So its ok for an American puppet government in Korea a country who is 10000km away but not for a Chinese or Russian one who they share a border with?

I think it would be better if Kim got taken out and replaced with a new open government. I still believe American foreign policy got us here, but we can't allow the North to take out major population centers worldwide. The war is lot closer now, we are at a tipping point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Japan really hasn't had much luck with the nuclear stuff.

The only country to have ever been actually nuked (twice) and then Fukushima and now North Korea throwing things in its general direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The ordinary North Korean people are the greatest actors and actresses on Earth, they have to be to survive.
    The Kim dynasty will fall at some stage, they rule with fear, and it is the fear keeping them in power.
    The fear the people live under is well justified. The UN in a report said human rights violations similar to what the Nazis did happen in North Korea.

Clinton, Bush and Obama failed to reign in North Korea, or get China to stop the country from developing nuclear weapons.
    The US sat by as they thought they had time to play with, now the US finds themselves with no time with a country making threats against them that includes a nuclear strike.
    This is a problem that was allowed to grow by both the US and China, to a point where something will happen.
    Xi Jinping has a big role to play here, Trump inherited this mess from the previous administrations and whether good or bad, it looks like his term as president is when some big decision will be made with the massive problem that is North Korea.
    The US, South Korea and Japan seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet on this.
    Maybe we are heading towards the end game for the Kim dynasty.

• Advertisement

flaneur wrote: »
    Japan really hasn't had much luck with the nuclear stuff.

The only country to have ever been actually nuked (twice) and then Fukushima and now North Korea throwing things in its general direction.

Imperial Japan was not nice. Japan was invading countries just like Nazi Germany.

She is the current UN ambassador for the United States.What does she mean by serious? There is a UN emergency meeting scheduled, later today.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Bizarre that the people of NK still haven't been told about the test. Also strange not a single word out of the white house yet about it don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
    Trump is thinking!!!!!

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    "firing a missile over Japan is outrageous"

Says the country who nuked it.

Twice.

Some irony.
    Not really, they fired a blank!

Trump is thinking!!!!!

US President Donald Trump says “all options are on the table for North Korea”.

We are getting close to military action of some kind. Going back and forward to the UN does not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Funny how the Russian puppet government in Ukraine never developed any Nuclear weapons nor there neighbours in todays Kazakhstan. If the Americans agreed not to base troops in a reunified Korea I am sure the Russians or Chinese wouldnt mind.

Ukraine became a nuclear power by default on independence (it actually was the third largest nuclear power for a short time) and subsequently renounced that status. In 1994 Ukraine agreed to destroy the weapons, and to join the Non-proliferation treaty. Some say it should have kept them considering what happened later.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

US President Donald Trump says “all options are on the table for North Korea”.

We are getting close to military action of some kind. Going back and forward to the UN does not work.

UN will just wave there finger 'naughty Kim' or write them a Niles Crane inspired strongly worded letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Ukraine became a nuclear power by default on independence (it actually was the third largest nuclear power for a short time) and subsequently renounced that status. In 1994 Ukraine agreed to destroy the weapons, and to join the Non-proliferation treaty. Some say it should have kept them considering what happened later.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

AFAIK, the Ukraine didn't have the launch codes for the nukes, nor did they have the maintenance equipment and personnel to maintain the arsenal.

UN will just wave there finger 'naughty Kim' or write them a Niles Crane inspired strongly worded letter.

Personally i think all is left to do is to shoot down missiles fired by North Korea. North Korea will have to think is it really worth going to war over a missile test? The other option is attacking North Korea, the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'd reckon that China will have been aware of Kim's planned test, if they don't make some conciliatory move at tonight's UN meeting to rein in Kim and his madness of firing an ICBM over the city and town-filled territory of another nation not on the Korean peninsula, and the firing will be part of a long-term plan to demilitarize the southern end of the peninsula of foreign troops in return for "sensible" behaviour, until the next time......

Any mention that the missile broke up and was no real threat to Japan is an illegitimate and ridiculous sop. The residents of Japan, incl it's Govt and self-defence forces cannot have been aware of the missile's structure and limitations, just that another Asian country had deliberately infringed it's territorial integrity by launching a missile on a route and trajectory over it

I can just imagine the faux outrage from N/K and China et al if Japan's self-defence forces had fired counter missile weapons at the Korean missile, blaming the US for supplying the anti-missile batteries to Japan for exacerbating the situation.

U.S. & Japan are calling for international embargo on oil exports to North Korea.

This is big in my opinion. If North Korea has no oil reserves the country would grind to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

U.S. & Japan are calling for international embargo on oil exports to North Korea.

This is big in my opinion. If North Korea has no oil reserves the country would grind to a halt.

Tough sh!t. Fat Boy Kim is in charge, let him lead the country.

Ipso wrote: »
    Tough sh!t. Fat Boy Kim is in charge, let him lead the country.

Just waiting for the UN meeting see what is going to be said. Banning oil exports is a big move. Civilian transport and military transport, will be affected by this move. Kim will react to this if this is the plan.

How do they stop the oil coming in anyone know if it transported in on ships? oil Trunks?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

At one stage whale blubber was rendered to create oil. There should be enough blubber on kim jong un to keep the country going for a while

They don't need too much oil, they've got coal, they could make syncrude if they had to.

• Advertisement

They don't need too much oil, they've got coal, they could make syncrude if they had to.

I think it's a massive deal though still. Can you imagine the state of this country if we could not import oil in, the country would shut down. Kim military would have to ration oil. Tanks, trunks, ships all don't work with no oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How do they stop the oil coming in anyone know if it transported in on ships? oil Trunks?

If it's on ships a full naval blockade would stop ships Carrying oil ,
    But you get the feeling certain neighbours will keeps supplies flowing

Gatling wrote: »
    If it's on ships a full naval blockade would stop ships Carrying oil ,
    But you get the feeling certain neighbours will keeps supplies flowing

This proposal got leaked ahead of the UN meeting on North Korea. China and Russia may not agree to this? For me it's a big move as it will affect the morale of his army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Too little too late. NK has the weapons now to nuke Japan or the South, hell they might even be capable of hitting LA. These type of sanctions where necessary years ago and all Barrack "talk show" Obama did was scratch his arse.

Too little too late. NK has the weapons now to nuke Japan or the South, hell they might even be capable of hitting LA. These type of sanctions where necessary years ago and all Barrack "talk show" Obama did was scratch his arse.

Sanctions of this type increase the risk of war.

Sanctions of this type increase the risk of war.

They do. And it would have been better to impose them when NK couldn't nuke major metropolitan western cities.

Obama was too busy sipping Guinness in ballygobackwards than looking after real world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

They do. And it would have been better to impose them when NK couldn't nuke major metropolitan western cities.

Obama was too busy sipping Guinness in ballygobackwards than looking after real world problems.

They wont use nukes trust me. Fatchops may be mad but he isnt stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They wont use nukes trust me.

Unfortunately the world won't wait to trust your judgement ,
    If kim gets a nuclear weapon on to a missle he will have no choice but to fire it and detonate it somewhere to show he's serious about his new capabilities .

Thanks but i won't leave the faith of 20m people living in the greater Tokyo area to your trust, thankfully i doubt president Trump or the Japanese government will either.

Fat boy Kim is going down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ha!

Fatchops..... Love it

Advertisement