Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

“This ballistic rocket launch drill… is the first step in military operations on the Pacific Ocean conducted by our troops and will be a meaningful prelude to containing Guam Island,” the North's official KCNA news agency quoted Kim as saying.

Pyongyang claimed the intermediate-range missile landed in a designated area and never posed any threat to neighboring countries. It also praised the test as proof of its full “combat performance” and “strategic capability.”

It was a missile fired towards Guam, if it traveled another 300km it would have hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

“This ballistic rocket launch drill… is the first step in military operations on the Pacific Ocean conducted by our troops and will be a meaningful prelude to containing Guam Island,” the North's official KCNA news agency quoted Kim as saying.

Pyongyang claimed the intermediate-range missile landed in a designated area and never posed any threat to neighboring countries. It also praised the test as proof of its full “combat performance” and “strategic capability.”

It was a missile fired towards Guam, if it traveled another 300km it would have hit.

Words of a madman. Korea is on the brink tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

it's a game of poker now, trump v un

god have mercy on our souls

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Words of a madman. Korea is on the brink tonight.

Below is hint they plan on more missiles tests beyond Japan!
    first step in military operations on the Pacific Ocean conducted by our troops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Thanks but i won't leave the faith of 20m people living in the greater Tokyo area to your trust, thankfully i doubt president Trump or the Japanese government will either.

Fat boy Kim is going down.

Going down in what way? Best way is for the Chinese to intervene and take him out. Any attack by America and Seoul gets incinerated by artillery strikes from the North.

• Advertisement

Trump was very reserved today i thought. I wonder if the decision to take Kim out has already been taken.

mezzz wrote: »
    it's a game of poker now, trump v un

god have mercy on our souls

I think we be fine Trump has other things on his mind, like the floods in Texas, to deal with. I just expecting an oil ban.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Going down in what way? Best way is for the Chinese to intervene and take him out. Any attack by America and Seoul gets incinerated by artillery strikes from the North.

I know. The options are bleak but Kim Fat will not be allowed threaten the planet any longer.

The Chinese may help the North if US forces attack first, this will be a global war.

The Chinese may help the North if US forces attack first, this will be a global war.

Thats why I think the Chinese should step in now. Its in there best interests.

• Advertisement

Thats why I think the Chinese should step in now. Its in there best interests.

Step in? Japan is considered an enemy by China. China prefers North Korea to be friendly. Trying to take Kim out would be a act of war.

Step in? Japan is considered an enemy by China. China prefers North Korea to be friendly. Trying to take Kim out would be a act of war.

He has to go either way. It will be alot messier if the US take him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sky news breaking news that Kim is calling for more missiles to be fired into Pacific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Mech1 wrote: »
    Sky news breaking news that Kim is calling for more missiles to be fired into Pacific.

He's definitely making a splash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'd consider it the kindly act of an elder brother towards the Korean people as a whole, not an act of war. Re the wording of the NK source announcement on what the glorious leader said about NK troops and the pacific floor, I assume that that is the direct and intended translation from Korean into English of his statement that he meant it to be, that there were no errors in translation. I can't imagine that China would like a Korean invasion of another country, it'd probably have flashbacks to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Would it? :confused:
    A quick look at a map shows that the missile was fired in a northeasterly direction towards Hokkaido, Guam lies thousands of kms to the southeast.
    Anyway the missile broke into three parts as it plunged into the ocean, does this suggest that NK has the capability of accurately delivering a warhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A quick look at a map shows that the missile was fired in a northeasterly direction towards Hokkaido, Guam lies thousands of kms to the southeast.
    Anyway the missile broke into three parts as it plunged into the ocean, does this suggest that NK has the capability of accurately delivering a warhead?

eh, it was meant to do that. yeah, that's it. causes 3 times as much damage you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

That statement is all bluster and sabre rattling. This is a consistent trend with North Korea. All they are doing is firing missiles with no intention of hitting any targets. They even say that it never posed any threat to their neighbours. It's all attention seeking dick waving. They won't start any war; they are only launching missiles with no intention of causing a war.

Furthermore, the Sky News report of Kim calling for more missiles to be fired into the sea further reinforces my belief that he has no intention of starting a war. All he's doing is trying to spread fear and panic, in an attempt to gain respect

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fxotoole wrote: »
    Furthermore, the Sky News report of Kim calling for more missiles to be fired into the sea further reinforces my belief that he has no intention of starting a war. All he's doing is trying to spread fear and panic, in an attempt to gain respect

aaa9053346fd4b42154e88e29c55ad1b14c0fbf5420d3bdac530d41a1fc24a32.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The problem is respect has to be earned not given. He's playing a high stakes game of poker and his opponent is a Presidential Troll who unlike is predecessors is the kind of person to push the big red button. As much as people will keep him back he does have that itchy finger and could one of these days go feck it and hit that button.

Looking at one report and its possible the reason hes pushing the missiles so hard is possibly because the squeeze is starting to hit home and its down to keeping a lid on things in his own back yard. If they target their oil next which I could see happening if he pushes another nuke test it could be the beginning of the endgame. China isn't stupid they'll stall for their own reasons as long as they can as they dont want the boat shaken too much but if kim miscalculates like say launching another missile that malfunctions and falls on Japan killing people he's basically dead to right's and on his own.

And dont get me started on firing over Japan. Seriously you mess with Japan its not gonna end well they got gundams! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Orange beast has just tweeted that "talking is not the answer".

So it's war then?

So it's war then?

Sanctions is probably what he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So it's war then?

I'm sure they will be drawing up military plans ,
    Just takes one rocket to hit Japan or elsewhere even if by accident it will result in war

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

fxotoole wrote: »

And to gain leverage with the South, to get concessions and to keep the country in a state of constant emergency and perpetual preparedness for war - which helps keep the little tyke and his extended family in power

You're right, the dynasty and elite have absolutely no intention of actual war - that would be detrimental to their very luxurious and comfortable lifestyles

The missile flew passed Japan and landed in the Pacific. They can fire the missile at Guam too, the only difference is aiming the missile differently It only 300km off direction either way. And North Korea likely blew up the missile themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Sacrifice of free speech and clean air you mean?
    Social development is equally as important as industrial development.

If you prefer to be lead by authoritarian regime, rather than an freely, democratically elected representative, guess it may suit you.

US has some big issues, but also has potential to spearhead the 4th Industrial Revelation, and social development - but only if it pulls it's sock up quickly.

Whoa there horsey. I asked you whether China deserve to be a superpower or "top dog" to use your phrase. The people of China have suffered a lot and worked hard for their recent supremacy.

I did not ask you whether you wanted to be ruled by China or live in China or whether you agreed with their internet restrictions (they ban Facebook which can only be a good thing!) or political systems.

The USA have had their day. All empires come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good article here on the military options open to the US. Most of them arent great and are unlikely to avoid big losses of life. While Kim can be taken out he also has the ability to cause major damage to the South before that happens.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41095772

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

The way to deal with KJY is for Trump to say, "launch one more missile and we're gonna take you out, that's it, YOU! We have the intelligence from the ground and the satellites and the drones in place to do it, so it isn't gonna be thousands killed next time you launch a missile, it's gonna be you and whoever is unlucky enough to be in the motorcade with you."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The missile flew passed Japan and landed in the Pacific. They can fire the missile at Guam too, the only difference is aiming the missile differently It only 300km off direction either way. And North Korea likely blew up the missile themselves.

You seem to be confusing 'direct-line distances' with 'total air travel distances', (which includes the trajectory and elevation/altitude travel).

The recent test was 1180km from 'point to point'.
    Guam's 3500km (2100miles) as the (non-high altitude) bird would fly.

So it isn't 300km is it?

Advertisement