Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ten years from now we will probably be saying the time to nuke NK was ten years ago.

I'm not being smart about this but...

This is the type of language I notice creeping in from a generation that seem not to understand the consequences of using nuclear weapons.

Maybe that is because it is so far beyond the cold war. People who lived through the cold war know what the threat of nuclear attack feels like.

The world should not be flippant about using these weapons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kona wrote: »
    Amazing that it comes down to the us to sort this **** out again.
    How many nukes can nk have? You dont pull that sort of uranium out of your hole.

North Korea has large deposits of uranium ore. The country seems to be pretty much self-sufficient at this stage when it comes to the production of nuclear weapons.

They received a lot of techical assistance from Pakistan and the Soviet Union down through the years, but now they're going it alone. That is what is most concerning for the US and it's allies - they assumed North Korea lacked the 'in-house' expertise to get its nuclear program up and running to such an extent that it would threaten to alter the strategic balance in the region.

The same goes for its missile programme. However in recent years we've seen the nuclear and missile programmes accelerating rapidly. South Korea believes that North Korea has upwards to 60 nuclear weapons at the moment.

So yeah, a lot of people have dismissed the North Korean nuclear and missile programmes as a joke in recent years. However what they've achieved is pretty impressive considering they're essentially going it alone and they've now ensured that they are setting the agenda in the region.

They're also likely to try and export their expertise to other countries. We already know that Norh Korean experts were on the ground in Syria to aid its nuclear weapons programme in the 2000's and were heavily involved in the construction of the nuclear site in the Syrian desert which was bombed by Israel in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm not being smart about this but...

This is the type of language I notice creeping in from a generation that seem not to understand the consequences of using nuclear weapons.

The world should not be flippant about using these weapons.

The problem is some countries seem hell bent on making sure more and more countries get nuclear weapons .
    Sooner or later we will get a nuclear war caused by some rouge state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I think Kim is very clever in his operations, he is like a good chess player putting his opponent (US) in check with every second move.

He's to clever to start a war himself, only giving himself more leverage.

The problem is with trumps office in power ðŸ˜, I can see trump watching "Patton" the film and getting that good ol murican glory guts.

Interesting to see how much fath is in this missile defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

North Korea has large deposits of uranium ore. The country seems to be pretty much self-sufficient at this stage when it comes to the production of nuclear weapons.

Still it takes quite a bit to get uranium 235 as opposed to the 238 that comes out of the ground. Even then it needs to.be processed.
    I reckon like you say that they are getting this stuff from other bogies. I wonder if alot of it could be ex ussr gear? Either way something needs to be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

kona wrote: »
    Still it takes quite a bit to get uranium 235 as opposed to the 238 that comes out of the ground. Even then it needs to.be processed.
    I reckon like you say that they are getting this stuff from other bogies. I wonder if alot of it could be ex ussr gear? Either way something needs to be done about it.

It began much the same way as Iran's program, by claiming they wanted the technology for non-military purposes, namely to establish nuclear power plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Are you concerned with President Trump?"

The hysteria is hilarious in here.

Are there any bookies taking bets so I can make some money of all ye who think war is imminent?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What would happen after a war is the real question.

Who would lay claim to NK if they were toppled? That's when it could get messy.

That's why I think it'll be resolved peacefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What would happen after a war is the real question.

Who would lay claim to NK if they were toppled? That's when it could get messy.

That's why I think it'll be resolved peacefully.

I genuinely believe China has a matter of weeks to end this. They want to be a world superpower but they don't want to solve the problem of a lunatic waving nukes at the world on their doorstep. They are making a massive miscalculation and they will suffer more than most when the US decides to end this fools ambitions.

• Advertisement

"Are you concerned with President Trump?"

A democrat bashing Trump :pac: who'd have thought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

bilston wrote: »
    In reality a 150KT bomb (while capable of causing untold damage to wherever it hits) is small compared to what the Americans have at their disposal. Basically the North Koreans cannot ever win any war with the US, with this in mind it is surely obvious that they will never strike first.

The only way a war starts is if the US strikes first. If they do I just hope they have all their bases covered. I also hope they have the full cooperation of China. Without it the threat from North Korea will suddenly become very incidental.

The Americans need to realise that once the genie is out of the bottle there is no way of knowing where it will end up. I can't really see any military action by the Americans that doesn't lead to tens of thousands of casualties at the very minimum. We could just as easily be talking about millions.

The time for military action was probably 10 years ago.

True but the North Koreans are making rapid advancements. Now they are saying the can produce nukes in mass. They probably can't, but leave them at it and in a few years they will have a couple hundred or maybe a thousand and some of them pretty powerful. Certainly enough to wipe most cities or countries off the map.

A what stage does the rest of the world say enough?

The Chinese have been completely and utterly useless in reigning in North Korea.

True but the North Koreans are making rapid advancements. Now they are saying the can produce nukes in mass. They probably can't, but leave them at it and in a few years they will have a couple hundred or maybe a thousand and some of them pretty powerful. Certainly enough to wipe most cities or countries off the map.

A what stage does the rest of the world say enough?

The Chinese have been completely and utterly useless in reigning in North Korea.

Obama did absolutely the square root of zip about NK during his 8 years in office. I am finally hearing some MSM question this policy despite it being the elephant in the room during his tenure. Make no mistake about it NK have the capability to wipe somewhere like Tokyo off the map at any time now collapsing the world economy in the process and kicking off WW3. The US are not going to let them get any closer to nuking somewhere like say LA or San Francisco.

I'm dumbfounded people don't seem to realise just how serious this is. NK aren't going to back down, America isn't going to back down and China seem to be the slow kid in the class thinking it's all a game.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Obama did absolutely the square root of zip about NK during his 8 years in office. I am finally hearing some MSM question this policy despite it being the elephant in the room during his tenure. Make no mistake about it NK have the capability to wipe somewhere like Tokyo off the map at any time now collapsing the world economy in the process and kicking off WW3. The US are not going to let them get any closer to nuking somewhere like say LA or San Francisco.

I'm dumbfounded people don't seem to realise just how serious this is. NK aren't going to back down, America isn't going to back down and China seem to be the slow kid in the class thinking it's all a game.

You seem to be missing the point of the entire "let's get nukes" plan by NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We need to appease this man

You seem to be missing the point of the entire "let's get nukes" plan by NK.

Don't tell me comrade it's to stop the big bad old USA from invading or something :rolleyes:

You people just aren't getting it are you. A madman dictator who starves his own people, has death camps and has publicly called for the destruction of America should not and will not be allowed to continue in power.

Don't tell me comrade it's to stop the big bad old USA from invading or something :rolleyes:

How can you just dismiss the only logical reason, just because you're absolutely mad for war?

Everything Kim has done has been an effort at self-preservation but you want to believe he's just going to get himself and his country destroyed within a few weeks by starting a war he can't win. Look at what happened Hussein or Gaddafi.. He's avoiding that.

You sound crazier than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

North Korea preparing more missile launches, says South - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41144356

I hope to fcuk the US have some of their missiles prepped to fire before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

We need to appease this man

Appeasement is a perfect description of what has happened with NK for the last 20 or so years. Give into them each time and hope they go away. Problem is the more they kick up a fuss, the more the rest of the world gives in.

Appeasing regimes like this always backfires in the long run.

China bear a large degree of responsibility for this mess.

North Korea preparing more missile launches, says South - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41144356

I hope to fcuk the US have some of their missiles prepped to fire before it's too late.

What does that even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

What does that even mean?

It means what is one of those NK missiles have a nuclear warhead on it. I wouldn't like to see innocent people in Tokyo or San Fran or LA die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I think this music video by Billy Joel in 1989 should explain exactly what's going on and help people chill. Especially 0:23 to 0:26.

So true Billy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

You people just aren't getting it are you. A madman dictator who starves his own people, has death camps and has publicly called for the destruction of America should not and will not be allowed to continue in power.

I think its time the hard men here on Boards got together and sent Kim a strongly worded e-mail.
    And make it clear that if he ignores it he will be "taken out".

Paddy McGuinness will be hired to arrange the fine details :cool:

It means what is one of those NK missiles have a nuclear warhead on it. I wouldn't like to see innocent people in Tokyo or San Fran or LA die.

Well then I guess you'd be talking about some sort of missile defense system, which they didn't use when it flew over Japan, and almost certainly won't use this time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

archer22 wrote: »
    I think its time the hard men here on Boards got together and sent Kim a strongly worded e-mail.
    And make it clear that if he ignores it he will be "taken out".

Paddy McGuinness will be hired to arrange the fine details :cool:

I thought it was P O'Neill who usually took care of this kind of stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think that the states have no choice but to strike first. North Korea are like a little scobe being refused into a nightclub. They are just standing there telling the bouncer he has a bag full of knives and is going to throw one at the bouncer. Instead the scum bag throws a couple of knives closer and closer to the feet of the bouncer. What should the bouncer do? He already asked the scum bags friend to bring him away. The friend says his buddy is in the wrong but can't actually do anything about it. All the while those knives are getting closer.

The bouncer needs to knock the scobe the f*** out.

This isn't about being pro or anti trump. This is about how to stop north Korea. Obama did nothing and all the while this scut had his own whole family killed and his power even more established. He wants to be remembered as the guy who stood up to America's influence. While his reasoning is all well and good, his method is dangerous and will get himself killed along with half the world.

War is the only solution when diplomacy is bot an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

josip wrote: »
    I thought it was P O'Neill who usually took care of this kind of stuff?

"Take me out" the TV dating show I was thinking of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mr.H wrote: »
    I think that the states have no choice but to strike first. North Korea are like a little scobe being refused into a nightclub. They are just standing there telling the bouncer he has a bag full of knives and is going to throw one at the bouncer. Instead the scum bag throws a couple of knives closer and closer to the feet of the bouncer. What should the bouncer do? He already asked the scum bags friend to bring him away. The friend says his buddy is in the wrong but can't actually do anything about it. All the while those knives are getting closer.

The bouncer needs to knock the scobe the f*** out.

This isn't about being pro or anti trump. This is about how to stop north Korea. Obama did nothing and all the while this scut had his own whole family killed and his power even more established. He wants to be remembered as the guy who stood up to America's influence. While his reasoning is all well and good, his method is dangerous and will get himself killed along with half the world.

War is the only solution when diplomacy is bot an option

Good analogy. I would have been completely against war but based on the latest test I think your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Live UN discussion on TV now.Things seem to be taking a step nearer to military action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

zerks wrote: »
    Live UN discussion on TV now.Things seem to be taking a step nearer to military action.

What channel are you watching?

edit: no matter, sky are showing the british ambassador, as if they matter in the slightest.

Advertisement