Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Oil Tank Uses

Options
  • 14-04-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I have an old plastic oil tank at back of my property and i was looking to see if it could be used to store rainwater that i could use for power washing cars etc. It looks like a 1000l plastic tank and was thinking it i put it at back of the garage, add gutters to the garage and collect the rainwater from them.
    Question is, how to clean it? It was used for heating oil, and would it ever get clean to where i can use it on cars.
    Carbery%201250%20Oil%20Tank%20Gallery%20Image%201.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a quick read at this document

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think you'd be better sell it cheap as an oil tank and then maybe pick up an IBC for €50 from donedeal to gather rainwater in, black one preferably as that stops algi growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

it may not be a fully sealed tank, well i presume thats why it was replaced, anyway i might try those IBC tanks, quick look on dondeal they seem cheap. I see car washes use these so must be good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

it may not be a fully sealed tank, well i presume thats why it was replaced, anyway i might try those IBC tanks, quick look on dondeal they seem cheap. I see car washes use these so must be good

Just remember if your water consumption isn't high out of the white ones algi growth can be a problem as light gets in. Black ones solve this problem.
    I have some collection water last ten years or more and no problem with them even during frost they are very strong.

Advertisement