Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpool. Is there a need?

Options
  • 14-04-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

The traffic congestion in the city is not getting any better these days, worse in my opinion. We have seen threads for carpooling before on this. What I would like to know is, is there an actual need from commuters?

The Parkmore and BallyBrit workers I would be most interested in feedback. If there was an technology (app) to find a carpool with someone who worked with you or in a workplace nearby would you use it?
    I don't believe we will see any "Gluas" or tram in the next few months in Galway so I would be interested how we can tackle this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

park a d ride with an excessive charge for driving into the city....say 10 just to enter

would be controversial but it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

park a d ride with an excessive charge for driving into the city....say 10 just to enter

would be controversial but it could work.
    Controversial is right except to cross the town, every car would have to go over the one bridge to avoid the charge.... Also have to pay 10er to go to the shops, the shop owners would love that...That'd work well

Controversial is right except to cross the town, every car would have to go over the one bridge to avoid the charge.... Also have to pay 10er to go to the shops, the shop owners would love that...That'd work well

Thered be a toll on every bridge. No avoiding it.

You'd have to use park and ride to do your shopping too. Or use ones outside the city centre. Or online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Massive traffic in to and out of all the park n ride locations then....

Massive traffic in to and out of all the park n ride locations then....

Well yeah that'd be the ideal. Numerous entrance and exit points. 2 and 3 lanes. Huge car parks. Available in all directions of the city.

Instead of 50 cars for 50 workers wed have 1 bus.

Then all the knocknacarra people go to knocknacarra, the bally brit to ballybrit etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do the city centre resudents do?

Pay a reduced rate.

Or take one of the many buses which would be passing their doors.

Buses will be in the city centre servicing all the major areas.

I've been giving a person at work a lift becuse of the bus strike and really miss both my time alone in the car in the morning and being tied to leaving the house in the morning at the agreed pick up time is a pain (rather than deciding to stay in bed longer etc if I'm tired). Also it's awkward if you want to wait late and you have someone there glancing over wondering will I decide to go home. Looking forward to getting back to normal now that the busses are back so no interest in car pooling for me.

Most people don't want to car pool.

It's why we have empty buses, 5000 cars with 1 person in each when we could have 100 buses.

For the record, I don't carpool. I'm one of the people alone in my car.

I'm just saying it's a valid solution to the problem. It would mean a little sacrifice from everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only way anything will work is if it somehow is better for each person than the current situation.
    No-one is going to make personal sacrifices to help anyone else.

traffic-cartoon.gif

If you for instance made the city bus free between 6am and 9am, and then again between 4pm and 6pm, it would give incentive to a lot of people to leave the car at home and travel to work gratis.

You could also have cars with 3 or more people be allowed to travel in buslanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know, what the insurance situation is re say injury when carpooling?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no difference than when driving with friends.
    A carpool is not for reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You'd have to use park and ride to do your shopping too. Or use ones outside the city centre. Or online shopping.

So, in other words, you'd solve the traffic issue but shut down many of the businesses in the City, some of which have been there for generations.

No.

People would still be in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

No.

People would still be in the city

But why? They're not there to buy as you suggest they can do that online, so are they all going to cafe's, restaurants etc. and the other currently viable businesses and their staff can just go to hell?

Advertisement