Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bike Felt V BH

Options
  • 14-04-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,
    Looking for some opinions. I currently ride a 2009 Felt F1 with full dura ace 7900. I am toying with the option of buying a new BH ultralight with Ultegra 6800. Would the Ultegra 6800 be as good as the dura ace 7900. There is a few years between the two has the Ultegra stepped up to previous dura ace standard. Has anybody any experience with these two groupsets. I'm wondering the same with the frameset's would the BH be as nice a bike to ride as the Felt. With selling the Felt and cycle to work scheme I would be able to change with little or no cost to me this is really the only reason I'm considering this. All opinions would be greatly appreciated my head is wrecked trying to make a decision. Just in case people were wondering I will be using the bike for sportive's for the next few years then hopefully get back racing when the kids are a bit older

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No experience with either frame but the 6800 is probably better than 7900 imo I have 7900 on one of my bikes. The shifting is a lot smoother presumably because it's 11 speed with narrower gaps on cassette etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've ridden two BH's as hire bikes in Spain and neither would be anywhere nearly as nice as my Felt F1, though to be fair they wouldn't have been in the same price category.

The Ultralight does look nice and from my experience of 6800 it's a very sweet groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have ridden a Ridley Noah with full 7900 gs but it's not a patch on the 6800 I have on my Felt F5. 6800 is much smoother and slicker especially with front shifting. Rear shifting is much the same. The 6800 brakes are better although that could have been down to pads and/or wheels.

I had a spin on a BH Quartz (I think) last year with 5800 groupset, it was a nice bike but not a patch on my Felt although the two have very different geometries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fdmd

Thanks for all the replies looks like the groupset is a straight forward one the 6800 is better. Just need to find somebody now who has an ultralight. Don't think I'd be willing to sacrifice a nicer ride just for a smoother shifting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

F1 was the top of the tree and even today would hold its own against all manner of high end machinery, so that's a tough benchmark for any bike.

Wrt the groupsets - as long as they're oiled and minded and indexed correctly I honestly defy anyone to truthfully tell the difference between 105, ultegra and dura ace, they're all so competent. I certainly couldn't, and I've had em all (and a 2009 F1 as it happens!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

fat bloke wrote: »
    F1 was the top of the tree and even today would hold its own against all manner of high end machinery, so that's a tough benchmark for any bike.

Wrt the groupsets - as long as they're oiled and minded and indexed correctly I honestly defy anyone to truthfully tell the difference between 105, ultegra and dura ace, they're all so competent. I certainly couldn't, and I've had em all (and a 2009 F1 as it happens!) :)

There may not be such a big difference between 5700/6700/7900 but there is when you compare them to 5800/6800/9000 and most people will be able to tell the difference purely from how slick the FD is on the newer groupsets.

Advertisement