Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitor training without having a degree?

• 14-04-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

So to become a solicitor without having a degree you are required to sit preliminary exams, but surely this hurts your chances of obtaining a training contract down the road as most posts on boards.ie state that firms require a degree not only that a decent one?

Plus I am a mature student at 33 years of age but I have no real commitments and I work a well paid permanent weekend job so funding isn't really a problem during the training stage but what are my chances of even obtaining one?
    Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭dee75

allybabe84 wrote: »
    So to become a solicitor without having a degree you are required to sit preliminary exams, but surely this hurts your chances of obtaining a training contract down the road as most posts on boards.ie state that firms require a degree not only that a decent one?

Plus I am a mature student at 33 years of age but I have no real commitments and I work a well paid permanent weekend job so funding isn't really a problem during the training stage but what are my chances of even obtaining one?
    Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I qualified in 2008 without having any degree. The preliminary exam was actually tough enough and I did a prep course in Dublin for it. I can't remember how many people sit that exam but I recall being told that only half who sat it passed it.

I had a diploma in law only which I did at night whilst working full-time as legal secretary. By the time I had preliminary exam done and the the FE1's, I had 2 years experience in legal firms and lots of contacts which I was able to use to get a training contract.

This was all outside of Dublin. Also I was 32 when qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

dee75 wrote: »
    I qualified in 2008 without having any degree. The preliminary exam was actually tough enough and I did a prep course in Dublin for it. I can't remember how many people sit that exam but I recall being told that only half who sat it passed it.

I had a diploma in law only which I did at night whilst working full-time as legal secretary. By the time I had preliminary exam done and the the FE1's, I had 2 years experience in legal firms and lots of contacts which I was able to use to get a training contract.

This was all outside of Dublin. Also I was 32 when qualified.

Thanks for that, I am also taking a diploma in legal studies at night and I am giving myself a year to prepare for the prelims (I'm brushing up on my knowledge of politics as we speak).

Having no contacts will be my biggest set back but I'll worry about that when the time comes - I'm currently engaging with a solicitor for a personal matter so I may have to ask her if she can help me out when the times comes to train (I paid her fees nice and prompt so I should be on her good side..!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I wouldn't suggest approaching the solicitor you have a professional relationship with for more than a steer. Legal professions seem gregarious by nature most of the time and no contacts is not something anyone should worry about. If you start working/studying in the area and basically just chatting to people someone will always be willing to help, put you in contact with people and generally show you around. That's been my experience anyway and I'm a complete gobsh!te so if anyone was going to find it more difficult than most...

Advertisement