Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with Banking 365 and realtime balances?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    So 150 euro I withdrew from an ATM on Thursday AND SPENT has now been credited back to my account today. It's a joint account so I have to go through the hassle of telling my husband not to spend it as it will vanish from the account at a time unbeknownst to us and probably affect a direct debit with another 12.70 charge.
    This is ridiculous.
    Can anyone from BOI explain this? It came out again today - 6 days later. After cash was spent. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

mel.b wrote: »
    I have noticed this now with my BoI business account. A transaction from last week was pending, then disappeared altogether. Then it was back pending. Now it has it as processed, but also pending! I wish I had looked and read a bit more before opening my business account as it certainly seems like there are more reliable options out there.
    Hi Mel B,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

This can occur if the retailer takes some time to fully process the transaction. The transaction will appear on your account as a pending transaction until the retailer processes the transaction fully.

Thanks,

Tara C
    Hi Tara,

I have no problem with transactions posting as pending. If you'd read my post properly you would have seen this is what happened:

1. Transaction posted as pending - account minus the amount.
    2. Transaction disappeared altogether - account balance increased by the same amount.
    3. Transaction reposted as Pending - account minus this amount
    4. Transaction posted as finalized AND as pending - account minus double the amount.
    5. Transaction finally posted properly - account minus the correct amount.

I have had (and have) accounts with National Irish/Danske, PTSB & Ulster bank as well as now my business account with BoI. With no other bank have I had this issue of transactions disappearing and reappearing and double posting. It is clearly not the vendors issue as I am not the only one with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

I've noticed these issues too recently, for example a phone payment to Bord Gais recently showed as pending twice on my account - so double the amount, leaving me with about an extra €150 inaccessible to me until it cleared, one of the transactions then showed as finalised and pending, until the pending one finally disappeared and I had access to my funds again...
    I've been with BOI for years and these seem to be a new problem that needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi All,

We’ve gone into as much detail in relation to this as we can here.

If you have a query on a particular Visa debit card transaction on your account please send your query via the service desk on Banking 365 Online ‘Ask a question’ and an advisor will investigate for you.

Alternatively you can call BOI Direct on 0818365365/014044000 and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8am-Midnight, 9am-6pm weekends and bank holidays.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hi Mel B,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

This can occur if the retailer takes some time to fully process the transaction. The transaction will appear on your account as a pending transaction until the retailer processes the transaction fully.

Thanks,

Tara C

Rubbish. When I use my card from a different bank, it sends a notification to my phone via the app and updates my balance, usually before I've put the card back in my wallet. The retailer isn't the party to blame here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I'm going cash only at weekends from now on. Balances on account cannot be trusted to be valid until such time as BOI invests properly on its payments infrastructure.

No point in ringing the direct channels. The buck here has to stop with Group Manufacturing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

€750 debit yesterday morning from my account with my Visa Debit Card appeared in transactions in progress reducing my balance accordingly, now this morning this transaction has completely disappeared from in progress and my balance is increased back by €750. The retailer receiving the €750 payment has successfully received and processed my payment to them. 

I know for a fact your IT infrastructure throughout your organisation is a total sham so will BOI ever admit to your customers that this is your responsibility to provide correct updated live-balances instead of blaming retailers for your own internal problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Ohmeha wrote: »
    €750 debit yesterday morning from my account with my Visa Debit Card appeared in transactions in progress reducing my balance accordingly, now this morning this transaction has completely disappeared from in progress and my balance is increased back by €750. The retailer receiving the €750 payment has successfully received and processed my payment to them. 

I know for a fact your IT infrastructure throughout your organisation is a total sham so will BOI ever admit to your customers that this is your responsibility to provide correct updated live-balances instead of blaming retailers for your own internal problems?
    Same for me two direct debits taken yesterday and gone from my account and same as ever money reappearing today and won't leave my account till Tuesday...I have confirmed with both that they have received the money..
    BOI refuses to acknowledge it's happening....I have saved a screen shot of my balance yesterday and again this morning showing the difference in my balance...so now I have €400 in my account that should not be there...
    How many people are getting caught with this each weekend....how many people are BOI charging for unauthorised overdrafts

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

harr wrote: »
    Same for me two direct debits taken yesterday and gone from my account and same as ever money reappearing today and won't leave my account till Tuesday...I have confirmed with both that they have received the money..
    BOI refuses to acknowledge it's happening....I have saved a screen shot of my balance yesterday and again this morning showing the difference in my balance...so now I have €400 in my account that should not be there...
    How many people are getting caught with this each weekend....how many people are BOI charging for unauthorised overdrafts

Snap same here and I have enough of it now . Large payment made Thursday evening debited and received by other person now completely missing off my account and looks like I have a lot more in my account than I should . This is not acceptable at all . I have been looking into changing to AIB as I have free banking now with them as my mortgage is with them so this have made up my mind . 35 years as a BOI customer but enough is enough . Blaming this on retailers when it's obviously a BOI issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Sounds like a shadow reapplies issue. Items should stay visible until the retailer puts through the transaction, or the time lapses and it drops off. If it is disappearing and reappearing, it is dropping off shadow earlier than posting. Could ir be a change to posting cycle somewhere?

• Advertisement

Just logged onto my business account and there are duplicate transactions in Completed transactions and Pending Transactions. What is different about these however is that they are not debits, but rather credits to my account - and one is from another BoI account. So I think we can say that the issues with balances is not due to the vendors not processing or reconciling transactions at the end of the day, but rather the BoI system itself.

Just logged onto my business account and there are duplicate transactions in Completed transactions and Pending Transactions. What is different about these however is that they are not debits, but rather credits to my account - and one is from another BoI account. So I think we can say that the issues with balances is not due to the vendors not processing or reconciling transactions at the end of the day, but rather the BoI system itself.
    Something needs to done ...my account is only getting back to normal today after the bank holiday weekend...the transaction that came out late last week was taken and returned to my account..,,it's still pending and the 400?is still in my account even though I have Proof vender received the payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

This really is crazy.

A PayPal payment I made on the 16th of April that I thought I could safely assume was well and truly dealt with reappeared today and put my account in negative balance.

Their IT department must have changed something. If it is shadow reapplied, it is probably too technical for the people here to answer....still they need to escalate the matter to the offshore people to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have to say I bank with AIB and have never had any online issues.
    It's actually quite worrying. For example the person who said they have a transaction pending AND posted and as a result has no access to the amount value that's pending. Unless the retailer inadvertently put the amount through twice which I would follow up on with them just so you have all the facts for BOI.
    How are the staff in the customer service call centre supposed to answer a technical IT query?
    This is actually scandalous. I'd be furious.
    Keep screen shots guys!
    And if ye get fobbed off.. 1850 715 815.

To thine own self be true

Don't worry I have plenty of screen shots after a rep told me it doesn't happen,so last weekend after the €400 was taken out I took screenshots and again this week when money reappeared and didn't come out till Thursday, so I have screenshot of money in account last week and then the transaction of it leaving my account with balance and suddenly reapers Tuesday only to leave my account again on Thursday...and the reps here and on phone blame retailers and saying it doesn't happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Something very strange going on with my banking 365 my direct debits are showing wrong amounts and the balances are all over the place . One is showing at 9.99 and when I add up my own calculations the balance completely different. Anyone else having issues again

There's definitely something up with the way the shadow transactions are being reapplied until the permanent posting appears. Are the retailers being given longer to process their files? The shadow seems to reapply for three working days, and then the permanent transaction SHOULD appear on the statement. Overnight (on the last night before posting), if you were checking your account, you may see a double posting. This would be the last night that the shadow is on the account, and also the permanent transaction;s debut appearance. The shadow transaction should fall off at this point, leaving the permanent transaction.
    If there is a problem with transactions disappearing and reappearing, it tells me that the shadow has dropped off, but the permanent transaction is being applied later than advertised. Somewhere in the rules, if the shadow transaction has disappeared off the system, it should be tough sh1t on the retailer e.g. too late.
    Has this changed?

Did anybody get any results when queried with the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

This has been happening to me for months and its especially bad at weekends when the balance suddenly jumps up as previously listed transactions vanish. Whats especially annoying is that when all the transactions update correctly after a few days, I often end up in unintentional deficits (as I spent based on the balance on screen) - for which I am charged on a per transaction-basis.

Someone in the shop told me that the solution would be to use Chip and Pin instead of contactless payments. I tried that but Im pretty sure Chip and Pin transactions are affected too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Someone in the shop told me that the solution would be to use Chip and Pin instead of contactless payments. I tried that but Im pretty sure Chip and Pin transactions are affected too.

They are. So are online transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I'm so glad to see this thread. Thought I was going mad. Amounts being debited from my account only to reappear a few days later! Impossible to keep tabs on any true balance. Was them charged SIX overlimit charges last month because I thought I had money left in my account and took out ONE lump sum, only for 6 previously debited amounts to reappear and disappear again after the lump sum was withdrew. So unfair. After 2 emails no joy. So I've a query in now with the ombudsman and a new account with ulster bank!

And BOI still adamant it doesn't happen and we are all imagining it... even after sending in screenshots and paperwork to prove it happens they still are blaming retailers even though my issues were Direct debits and standing orders..

It's the shadow reapplies process that is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Close the accounts, they don't give a flying about you clearly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Same with me. And if I log in on website as opposed to app, it's different.

I've been using an app for Apple Pay and instantly balance updates. Plus, recently I was away and got a pre-paid card app thing and the minute i use the card it updates, I get a notification on my device and it's able to tell me how much I spend on entertainment. dining, groceries etc 

They need to put more effort into this side of things imo.

There was talk on her about tap POS being the issue.
    Just to let you know, I'm an AIB customer and my tap POS seems to appear as they should be. Ie-straight after the tap, the transaction is pending with the amount of transaction minused from balance and funds available immidiately and a few days later appear as a transaction and gone from pending.
    So I don't see why BOI should be different?

Whether it be AIB or BOI, or any other bank running legacy systems, the process is the same. For point of sale transactions (laser or ATM) post the transaction to a shadow database straight away, and formalise the transaction after a few days, once the retailer puts through their transaction. Behind the scenes, the shadow transaction is applied on a nightly basis, until the retailer has put through the formal transaction. This normally takes two to three days to happen. If a transaction is disappearing, it is being removed from the shadow prematurely by the bank. Once it appears again, it is the permanent posting that the retailer has put through, and the shadow transaction has dropped off.  Has anyone noticed a transaction disappearing and reappearing more than once? 

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Whether it be AIB or BOI, or any other bank running legacy systems, the process is the same. For point of sale transactions (laser or ATM) post the transaction to a shadow database straight away, and formalise the transaction after a few days, once the retailer puts through their transaction. Behind the scenes, the shadow transaction is applied on a nightly basis, until the retailer has put through the formal transaction. This normally takes two to three days to happen. If a transaction is disappearing, it is being removed from the shadow prematurely by the bank. Once it appears again, it is the permanent posting that the retailer has put through, and the shadow transaction has dropped off.  Has anyone noticed a transaction disappearing and reappearing more than once? 
    This is one example of what has happened with my account:
    2. Transaction disappeared altogether - account balance increased by the same amount.
    4. Transaction posted as finalized AND as pending - account minus double the amount.

However it's not just POS transactions as I have had people transfer money into my account (from both BoI and other banks) and that money has also posted twice.

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    This is one example of what has happened with my account:

However it's not just POS transactions as I have had people transfer money into my account (from both BoI and other banks) and that money has also posted twice.
    Thanks for that. Regarding no. 4 above, is that only when you check the account late at night or in the period say between around 9 and 12?
    This is a normal process overnight e.g. late PM, when shadow and permanent posting co-exist on an account temporarily, until the shadow drops off for the final time.
    This happens every night.
    Are you sure the balance is minus double the amount?

Shadowing is not just POS. It is also a factor of SEPA transfers too, so I would expect this 

From my experience, point no's 2 and 3 are the ones that shouldn't be happening. Point 4 is correct processing, as long as the balance is not minus double!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement