Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with Banking 365 and realtime balances?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Why aren't you all just closing your accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

368100 wrote: »
    Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    You're quite right Eoghan... I guess these guys continue to get away with such a shoddy level of customer service because we are too lazy to change banks.. and feel that as small account holders our voices will be ignored. 

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I.have closed my account and written to the ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Conor Pope from the Irish Times has raised this again on Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/conor_pope/status/985864874235441155?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

In fairness, things have improved since I first raised this and there was no satisfactory explanation. Hopefully, it’s not going to be an issue again, but the results of Conor’s Twitter post do not give me confidence....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This issue was mentioned on Ray D'Arcy today on RTE.  Conor Pope did appear to get a refund for one aggrieved customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

if class action lawsuits existed in Ireland BOI would be in trouble, some of the stuff they are doing is very shady. they know about the problems but they refuse to fix them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Still happening but not as often..last weekend I did weekly shop on Friday the transaction showed on the app but didn’t leave my account till the following Thursday and again BOI claimed it was the retailer fault even though most weeks I shop in same place and money is taken instantly.
    They just don’t listen even after I sent them proof from a local retailer that they do end of day Banking every evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Still happening to me, anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Will keep happening until the system is redesigned. Will be fixed up in 3 years when the new system is in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Here's the thing, my account can't be overdrawn as I'm unable to do it. What happens if I move money out and the original transaction comes back?

moloner4 wrote: »
    Here's the thing, my account can't be overdrawn as I'm unable to do it. What happens if I move money out and the original transaction comes back?

Is it a deposit account? The transaction will reject on the bank side, and they'll chase you for the money. If it"s a current account, it will go overdrawn and you'll pay overlimit charges, interest and surcharges

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

This is still ongoing with boi balances incorrect payments disappearing and when they reappear people are being charged fees for being overdrawn. Has anyone complained and got anywhere with bank or ombudsman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

paul64 wrote: »
    This is still ongoing with boi balances incorrect payments disappearing and when they reappear people are being charged fees for being overdrawn. Has anyone complained and got anywhere with bank or ombudsman?

I got a refund for 2 transactions, 5 days for them to debit off account

You have to call to branch to get it and they blame the merchant as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

My OH is with BOI and in comparison to my PTSB account her account is an absolute mess. Never knows her correct balance and payments are always reversing and then taken out again. Pretty annoying while saving for a mortgage.
    Has to leave at least 50 in her account permanently. It’s amazing because with Revolut for example you buy something tap or pin and you get a notification on your phone and your balance is subtracted immediately. No messing.

7 euro refunded but they don't have any system for refunding customers for hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi Bigmac1euro,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

When you make a purchase, the retailer may take a pre-authorised payment which meant they will debit the account straight away to ensure there are enough funds to cover the payment, the pre-authorised transaction will then disappear from your account and readjust your balance.

Within 5 working days after the transaction is made the retailer will then take the funds out of your account successfully. If you have a certain amount of funds in your account then spend any funds in between this time it may leave you overdrawn.

I hope this helps clarifies things for you.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hi Bigmac1euro,

When you make a purchase, the retailer may take a pre-authorised payment which meant they will debit the account straight away to ensure there are enough funds to cover the payment, the pre-authorised transaction will then disappear from your account and readjust your balance.

Within 5 working days after the transaction is made the retailer will then take the funds out of your account successfully. If you have a certain amount of funds in your account then spend any funds in between this time it may leave you overdrawn.

Thanks Jen
    But this just appears to be a BOI issue, because your system isn't capable of having an actual service.
    Revolut, ulster bank, AIB, none of them seem to have this issue.

The fact this is an issue your more than aware of, and continue to charge customers for it, is despicable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

paul64 wrote: »
    I got a refund when I proved they were wrong in blaming merchants for my balances being all over the place. I have a friend who who owns a small shop and I bought something to see when the transaction might show up. My friends shop is only small and he does end of day banking so I know it was processed by the shop and when the bank used the same excuse I was able to prove it wasn’t the merchants doing. They didn’t have an answer and I was refunded two charges for missed direct debits. 
    Unfortunately it hasn’t stopped it happening since... most of my daily card purchases are now with revolt. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi Bigmac1euro,

Thanks Jen

With all due respect Jen that is BS. Your online facility is the worst around. What ill do is withdraw all my money before the transactions are processed and have my wages redirected to revolut. Best of luck getting it back. Jokeshop stuff at this stage.

• Advertisement

If you didn’t have the funds originally the bank would not allow the purchase to go through so when it does go through the funds were already there. The bank asking customers to have the money in the account on 2 different occasions is a joke and to then charge a fee for being overdrawn is an absolute joke and I don’t know how they haven’t being called out on this on a national scale yet

On Friday evening my bank account balance changed 4 times in the space of 20 minutes. Debits and credits disappeared and reappeared. Started out I wasn’t overdrawn. Then it went hugely overdrawn and back again. In the end I was charged 40 euro 4x10 for being overdrawn and when the balance settled down I ended up being 20 overdrawn after the charges so if I wasn’t charged I Wudnt have being overdrawn? So how can they possibly do this is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Hi Bigmac1euro,

Thanks Jen

But it doesn’t happen with PTSB which is who I bank with or any other bank for that matter, can you answer why this is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But it doesn’t happen with PTSB which is who I bank with or any other bank for that matter, can you answer why this is ?

It's never ever happened me with AIB.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.

Please be assured if you would like to query any transactions on your account, you can certainly send a Secure Message on your 365 online (on a laptop/computer) by following 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question'. One of our colleagues with account access will be more than happy to look in to this further for you.

If you wish to make a complaint on this, you can do so by following the link here to our Customer Feedback and Complaints process.

Thanks, Aisling.

You have to go to local branch to get a refund on 3-50, don't bother ringing

Customer complaints are not allowed to refund

I've been through the process lately

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.

Please be assured if you would like to query any transactions on your account, you can certainly send a Secure Message on your 365 online (on a laptop/computer) by following 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question'. One of our colleagues with account access will be more than happy to look in to this further for you.

If you wish to make a complaint on this, you can do so by following the link here to our Customer Feedback and Complaints process.

Thanks, Aisling.

Why should any customer need to make a complaint about this continued abject failure to supply the most basic of banking services?

Are you suggesting that BOI management are unaware of this issue after years of persistent failure to address it?

You are encouraging customers to waste their time making a complaint in the full knowledge it will achieve absolutely nothing.

If you read this article from April 2018 it will also sound only too familiar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

harr wrote: »
    I got a refund when I proved they were wrong in blaming merchants for my balances being all over the place. I have a friend who who owns a small shop and I bought something to see when the transaction might show up. My friends shop is only small and he does end of day banking so I know it was processed by the shop and when the bank used the same excuse I was able to prove it wasn’t the merchants doing. They didn’t have an answer and I was refunded two charges for missed direct debits. 
    Unfortunately it hasn’t stopped it happening since... most of my daily card purchases are now with revolt. 

It has long been their strategy to blame merchants on their failures.

Shameful behaviour.

The bank system should be able to react intelligently to inflight transactions. Other banks can do this. BOI cannot, as they won't allow inflight tramsactions, that have not been validated by the seller, to remain on the systen longer than a few days. Often times, the seller's items are processed outside the window, and the inflight versions have already been deleted. This causes the balance issues. This won't change until someone looks at their posting process. Their offshore people need to come up with something 

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod note: Please remember that this is a Talk To forum where representatives try to assist customers with issues and queries. Jennifer and Aisling have outlined how transactions are handled, and steps that can be taken to either make further queries or make a complaint/provide feedback to Bank of Ireland. 

If you would like a discussion, it would be best to utilise the Banking forum. Thanks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement