Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with Banking 365 and realtime balances?

Options
  • 14-04-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I can no longer trust the B365 on line or telephone services for an accurate balance.

For the last two days I have received 6 different balances each time on log on, transactions that were fully posted to the account have now dropped off the account altogether. The transactions include POS tap debits, chip and PIN purchases, and most worrying of all, ATM transactions.

At start of day today my balance was €404, now I look at it tells me that it is €470. I know myself that both balances are incorrect, as it does not include two POS transactions which were included in the balance figure given to me yesterday, and now have disappeared off the transactions screen. I have been charged €3.50 over-limit fees twice this month due to unauthorised overdrawn balances, on both occasions, the balance at the beginning of the day showed sufficient credit balances.

What is going on? Are shadow postings not being processed properly or is this a deliberate policy by BOI to harvest overlimit fees? I am worried that if I use my card today that adequate funds are not there to meet the transaction when it is posted to the account. If I take out cash at a non-AIB ATM, when will this be debited to my account? THis is a long weekend as well, and if there is a backlog of data to be processed on Monday night, where will that leave us? If there are not clear batch processing times for electronic transactions, we might as well go back to writing cheques at this rate....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

It's mad - I have had 4 different balances this weekend too. My Leap Auto-Up was rejected with a charge of 12.70 (and the necessity to post it back to Leap to get unblocked) as my balance read 29.70 (and wouldn't accept a 30.00 topup), earlier that day it read over 2000 euro and later that day the balance returned. Still had to pay the 12.70 fee. Stuff disappearing all the time and reappearing days later. 
    Then I get the quarterly 'notified fees' and have to laugh... seriously thinking about putting in the effort to change direct debits etc and switch current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

This is happening constantly. Transactions occurring immediately and then disappearing and coming back again leaving false balances and can leave people running up unnecessary bank fees. BOI are very bad for this something needs to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

It's driving me crazy. Checked my balance last Friday morning. Got my husband to put 25 euro in for me so that my car insurance could come out. Checked that night and BOI had charged me 12:70 cause they took other stuff outta my account that I didn't know about so my car insurance wasn't paid. Car insurance will charge me 15 for it not being paid added with the 12:70 from bank it's sickening considering the insurance is about 43. Wouldn't mind if I hadn't checked to see how much I needed to go in. Can't wait to leave BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

This keeps happening on my Ulster bank account too, bought a pair of headphones last week, money was taken out, then money sent back later that day, 5 days later the money disappears from my account again.

When you have a few transactions like this it can completely mess with your head and leave you all over the place with your true balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi all, 

Thanks for your posts here. 

We're sorry to hear that the balance or transactions on your accounts are not showing as up to date. Please note that contactless transactions you have made with a Visa Debit card may take some time to show on your account so please make sure to account for this if you are using your card. When transactions appear on your 365 Online as "In Progress" when you are logged in through the website, these will be debited from your balance and update your account with your new available balance. When the pending transactions update they will appear in your completed transactions. Transactions appear as completed once retailer fully processes the transaction, we do not have any control over when the retailer does this.

Without viewing your accounts here we would be unable to clarify what may be causing this delay. For clarification on your transactions, we would advise you to query this by sending a message on 365 Online through the Ask a Question option on the Service Desk. A representative with account access can go through your transactions and advise you further. Alternatively you can call our BOI Direct team on 0818 365 365 between 8am and midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Time to Talk to Joe.  There's no-one going to look at this in Cabinteely until at least Wednesday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Time to Talk to Joe.  There's no-one going to look at this in Cabinteely until at least Wednesday.....
    Cabinteely? You mean Noida New Delhi India

But why are we penalised the 12.70 if you know this is going on?! Is there no way to set up an overdraft for, I don't know, 50 quid, for things like this happening?

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    But why are we penalised the 12.70 if you know this is going on?! Is there no way to set up an overdraft for, I don't know, 50 quid, for things like this happening?

Should be no need for an overdraft. All I want is a trustworthy, realtime balance of POS and ATM transactions, with batchrun standing orders and direct debits processed overnight....

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

No idea of my balance at this stage as it's all over the place . Tranactions made last week still not showing etc . Just checked here to see if this was explained when I came across this thread .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

The only way i can keep track is by doing it myself manually

It's crazy altogether during long holiday periods ,you could be waiting a week to know your real balance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Also having this problem...huge fluctuations on my account and not always from contactless transactions....direct debits show as been taken out and money gone...
    A few hours later money back into my account...ATM and cash back transactions not showing up for days...impossible to know exactly what my balance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Things have really slackened on 365. I am particularly fed up with the delay in transactions appearing online. This used to be a lot more up to date. 

People are getting charged for unauthorised overdraft items when they wouldn't be able to overdraw only because the bank are not keeping the correct balances surely this is wrong and has to be reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I can no longer trust the B365 on line or telephone services for an accurate balance.

For the last two days I have received 6 different balances each time on log on, transactions that were fully posted to the account have now dropped off the account altogether. The transactions include POS tap debits, chip and PIN purchases, and most worrying of all, ATM transactions.

At start of day today my balance was €404, now I look at it tells me that it is €470. I know myself that both balances are incorrect, as it does not include two POS transactions which were included in the balance figure given to me yesterday, and now have disappeared off the transactions screen. I have been charged €3.50 over-limit fees twice this month due to unauthorised overdrawn balances, on both occasions, the balance at the beginning of the day showed sufficient credit balances.

What is going on? Are shadow postings not being processed properly or is this a deliberate policy by BOI to harvest overlimit fees? I am worried that if I use my card today that adequate funds are not there to meet the transaction when it is posted to the account. If I take out cash at a non-AIB ATM, when will this be debited to my account? THis is a long weekend as well, and if there is a backlog of data to be processed on Monday night, where will that leave us? If there are not clear batch processing times for electronic transactions, we might as well go back to writing cheques at this rate....
    well I'm with PTSB for over 30 years and husband with BOI 365. You could not compare the two accounts, I've never had an issue with mine, the most user friendly banking app ever
    So much one can do online, I never need to go into a bank. All pending transactions show up separately on the app and my balance is always correct. The BOI online account is pathetic. My account is free, have zero charges, this account is not available anymore but there is one which charges 4 euro fee per month and rewards you by giving a refund for every ATM, online transaction made.

paul64 wrote: »
    People are getting charged for unauthorised overdraft items when they wouldn't be able to overdraw only because the bank are not keeping the correct balances surely this is wrong and has to be reported?

Bank of Ireland is signed up with the European Payments Council through its membership of the Banking & Payments Federation of Ireland. Possibly both organisations need to be made aware of this issue of transparency at Ireland's largest clearing bank....

I logged on to my broadband provider and can see the credit for the online debit card payment I made to them on Thursday. There is no corresponding debit from my BOI account right now, even though it was debited to the account when I checked B365 after I made the payment on Thursday. Meanwhile the B365 pay-a-bill debit is included in my bank balance, but has not been received yet by ESB.

Same here with my eir bill...checked eir on Wednesday even rang them to double check and sure enough they got paid from my account..they emailed me confirmation it has yet to show up on my 365 page, so that's 70 Euro I would have taught was paid to eir but it's still available for me to spend.
    Happened me before with the unauthorised overdraft direct debit was paid but didn't leave my account for a further 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

This is constantly happening I've one debit that's taken out every Friday morning and come Saturday it's gone again and my balance is more and only for i know its not really there because a few times I've been caught and given boi 12.70 for noting as far as i can see...

Can anyone from BOI explain what's happening?
    So checked my account last night and my balance again was hugely inflated...with funds available that I knew for certain I didn't have.
    Checked my account again a number of minutes ago and every transaction from last week is showing up as been processed today the 18th ...even transactions that took place last Monday and Tuesday are showing up at today's date.
    I know it was Easter and no direct debits or other transactions were processed Friday or over weekends but why did all last weeks transactions disappear and money back into account only to reappear with new date and money taken again.
    Very confusing and I have now no idea what my real world balance is .

Where can someone complain both to BOI and elsewhere? Email address or something?

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    Can anyone from BOI explain what's happening?
    So checked my account last night and my balance again was hugely inflated...with funds available that I knew for certain I didn't have.
    Checked my account again a number of minutes ago and every transaction from last week is showing up as been processed today the 18th ...even transactions that took place last Monday and Tuesday are showing up at today's date.
    I know it was Easter and no direct debits or other transactions were processed Friday or over weekends but why did all last weeks transactions disappear and money back into account only to reappear with new date and money taken again.
    Very confusing and I have now no idea what my real world balance is .
    Hi harr, 

Thanks for your post. 

We're sorry to hear this. This can occur if the retailer takes some time to fully process the transaction. We would advise you to send this query on the Service Desk on 365 Online and a representative with account access can look into this further for you. 
    paul64 wrote: »
    Where can someone complain both to BOI and elsewhere? Email address or something?
    Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your post and we're sorry to hear that you wish to make a complaint. Please see our Complaints process at this link as we do not have an email address for complaints. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    Hi mrsmags16, 

Thanks for your post. 

We're sorry to hear you have been charged an unpaid fee on your account. If you feel you have been incorrectly charged this you can query it by calling BOI Direct on 0818 365365 or by sending a message on 365 Online Service Desk and the Ask a Question option. A representative can then investigate this for you. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

So 150 euro I withdrew from an ATM on Thursday AND SPENT has now been credited back to my account today. It's a joint account so I have to go through the hassle of telling my husband not to spend it as it will vanish from the account at a time unbeknownst to us and probably affect a direct debit with another 12.70 charge.
    This is ridiculous.

Hi harr, 

Thanks for your post. 

We're sorry to hear this. This can occur if the retailer takes some time to fully process the transaction. We would advise you to send this query on the Service Desk on 365 Online and a representative with account access can look into this further for you. 

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your post and we're sorry to hear that you wish to make a complaint. Please see our Complaints process at this link as we do not have an email address for complaints. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Its not shops delaying doing there banking , its all direct debits as well not just card transactions..money goes out and account looks fine then suddenly money reappears only to be taken out again a few days later...ATM transactions as well...BOI ATMs ...usually story blaming others business instead of looking into why it's happening.

harr wrote: »
    Hi harr, 

Thanks for your post. 

Hi Paul, 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Its not shops delaying doing there banking , its all direct debits as well not just card transactions..money goes out and account looks fine then suddenly money reappears only to be taken out again a few days later...ATM transactions as well...BOI ATMs ...usually story blaming others business instead of looking into why it's happening.
    I have googled the ATM I used on Thursday and lo and behold - BOI ATM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have noticed this now with my BoI business account. A transaction from last week was pending, then disappeared altogether. Then it was back pending. Now it has it as processed, but also pending! I wish I had looked and read a bit more before opening my business account as it certainly seems like there are more reliable options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

mel.b wrote: »
    I have noticed this now with my BoI business account. A transaction from last week was pending, then disappeared altogether. Then it was back pending. Now it has it as processed, but also pending! I wish I had looked and read a bit more before opening my business account as it certainly seems like there are more reliable options out there.
    Hi Mel B,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

This can occur if the retailer takes some time to fully process the transaction. The transaction will appear on your account as a pending transaction until the retailer processes the transaction fully.

Thanks,

Tara C

Can you stop blaming retailers for this problem...yes we know contactless payments take a few days but normal card payments are the problem...I asked a local shop owner who I know well as some payments I made in his shop were taking nearly a week to appear and he reassured me that he does end of day banking everyday and processes all card payments at the end of everyday as his shop is a small set up..
    So yes it might be that some larger shops only process card payments every few days,so your excuse that's it's automatically retailers fault doesn't add up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

That's one of the problems it's saying it's pending one minute, next it disappears, next it says it's taken, next it's gone again after saying ya have such a balance so ya spend some money somewhere and then it's there again taken...
    Next were all paying 12.70 in unpaid fees because we can't get real-time balances...

• Advertisement

Still awaiting a response to my OP.

Harr is correct, and retailers getting a bad rap from the clearing banks in this country . I made a payment to Vodafone on Thursday, my account was debited and the Vodafone account was credited. On Friday the debit on my BOI account was missing, and my balance had increased. My Vodafone account balance correct on Friday as th credit was properly processed by the retailer.

The Visa Debit payments system is held together by rubber bands and sticky tape due to the continued lack of investment by th clearing banks. I'm calling BOI out on this, same thing happening each weekend....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement