Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with Banking 365 and realtime balances?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ally Dick wrote: »
    At the moment a load of transactions are appearing twice on my account, meaning I was refused a transaction in a shop today because I didn't have enough funds. But I do, or at least I should.

Why is this happening? What's the fix, other than to move banks?
    What you are seeing at the moment is normal shadow processing. It is like this every night. Is your balance correct or wrong? The balance is correct, even though there are double transactions, and then the second transaction drops off overnight
    It's bizarre and tbh quite embarassing when you're refused a transaction at 7pm because basically your bank has taken the money out twice. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

At the moment a load of transactions are appearing twice on my account, meaning I was refused a transaction in a shop today because I didn't have enough funds. But I do, or at least I should.

What you are seeing at the moment is normal shadow processing. It is like this every night. Is your balance correct or wrong? The balance is correct, even though there are double transactions, and then the second transaction drops off overnight
    It's bizarre and tbh quite embarassing when you're refused a transaction at 7pm because basically your bank has taken the money out twice. 
    Has the balance been double debited for sure?

Has the balance been double debited for sure?
    It was. It's now back up the amount that it was down yesterday, without any further transactions being made. If you can't have confidence in your money being there as and when you need it what's the point of having a bank? 

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I paid my car tax with my boi visa debit yesterday, I checked 365 and the payment showed. Today when I look at my 365 the payment has disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

My issue is when the balances are incorrect and somebody overspends on their account unknowingly how can BOI charge them for unauthorised transactions?

• Advertisement

paul64 wrote: »
    My issue is when the balances are incorrect and somebody overspends on their account unknowingly how can BOI charge them for unauthorised transactions?
    They get away with it because it is hard to prove

But you can only spend what your balance even if it has an overdraft. That means it was authorised surely? 

But you can only spend what your balance even if it has an overdraft. That means it was authorised surely? 
    Most transactions nowadays are authorised at point of sale and force paid on presentation e.g you do a visa debit when your balance is artificially high...and that transaction is force paid when the retailer sends it through even if you don't have the money. So you are forced overdrawn with charges applied if other transactions go missing temporarily

Most transactions nowadays are authorised at point of sale and force paid on presentation e.g you do a visa debit when your balance is artificially high...and that transaction is force paid when the retailer sends it through even if you don't have the money. So you are forced overdrawn with charges applied if other transactions go missing temporarily

That's what I have such a problem with. Technically you have the money, but because of the double charging and whatever it is, it looks like you don't. We've been stung with charges for this reason in recent times. It's embarrassing and annoying. 

That's what I have such a problem with. Technically you have the money, but because of the double charging and whatever it is, it looks like you don't. We've been stung with charges for this reason in recent times. It's embarrassing and annoying. 
    You should be entitled to a fair up to date balance at all times, so you can plan your finances. The bank is not deliberately doing this to gouge charges, but is guilty of not fixing it! The Indian offshore should be giving it their top priority!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, noticed this too. Payments that have been made disappear of the account overnight and can take two or three days to reappear.

BOI should not be allowed charge people for unauthorised payments if they are not keeping the bank balance correct. Isnt that their job? The whole system seems to be very poor and not 1 BOI rep on here will comment on it. 

BOI should not be allowed charge people for unauthorised payments if they are not keeping the bank balance correct. Isnt that their job? The whole system seems to be very poor and not 1 BOI rep on here will comment on it. 
    Not one BOI Rep understands it. I fail to see why it hasn't been escalated to the offshore technical team  I'd wager they don't understand it either  BOI and AIB let a lot of their experienced people go, in favour of an offshore model

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Constant problem with BOI and has been for a long time. Balance never correct. I was told last Christmas after being left for a week without funds to keep a reconciliation!! Like in the dark ages with cheque books. Absolutely ridiculous. And it's only their system because I've never had this problem with AIB.

Has anyone ever got anywhere speaking to them about this? It seems totally unfair and they play dumb about it all. No reps on here have an explaination

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

I paid my electricity bill at the post office recently with my BOI debit card....noticed a couple of days later that my account had been credited with said amount and not adjusted correctly for FOUR days...not the first time my true balance has been misrepresented when making an enquiry either.Do BOI intend to solve this issue or just continue to scam charges off its customers.What a poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Got my fee statement today, together with a separate invoice for the two €3.50 charges that were applied when I inadvertently went overdrawn due to incorrect balances given by b365. Pretty cross today, started this thread with a question that has never been adequately addressed by CSA's on phone service or here....

Can we please get some answers and explanations from Bank of Ireland representatives? This is obviously a widespread problem.

I have been on the phone there for over half an hour finally getting through to a rep who basically said BOI have no control over visa debit transactions which basically says they have no control over your bank balance

I have been on the phone there for over half an hour finally getting through to a rep who basically said BOI have no control over visa debit transactions which basically says they have no control over your bank balance
    They do not have control over when the retailer puts through their file, but this is a cop out. They are only telling half truths. The system was designed in such a way that a retailer could put through their transaction WITHIN FIVE DAYS of the point of sale, and the system was able to handle this, by shadowing the transaction until the permanent posting was received. The only quirk was that on the night that the transaction was received, it would appear that there were duplicates on the system, but this was just a temporary situation, and the balance was always correct. By morning, the transaction count was back to normal. Now what is happening is that shadow transactions are dropping off the system before the permanent transaction is applied. This is pushing the customer balance back up, as the system is acting like the transaction never existed. Then the retailer transaction is being accepted, and the customer is being gazumped into running up overlimit charges when the transaction is being applied.
    This is a technical issue that needs to be looked at by the IT team. It is too technical for phone reps to know what is going on. The stock answer of saying that BOI don't have control over visa debit transactions is just a cheap excuse. Visa debit point of sale transactions have always been randomly received....up to five working days from the date of the sale...some come in after 1 day, some after 2 etc etc. The system was always able to handle each of these scenarios. Now something has changed, and it needs to be sorted pronto!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

But Ally this is not just happening in retail, this problem is also happening with direct debits and other payments,I seen your understanding why it might happen just with card payments but a good number of people have experienced problems with other payment methods..I have had direct debits payments reappear in my account anything up to five days after the other party has verified they got my money..
    For instance a direct debit taken last Thursday and confirmed by the other company as payed , left my account on Thursday only for money to reappear Saturday and to finally leave my account today Tuesday

Yes this is what's happening in my opinion BOI wrongfully charging customers and it's totally unfair and something needs to be done about it

harr wrote: »
    But Ally this is not just happening in retail, this problem is also happening with direct debits and other payments,I seen your understanding why it might happen just with card payments but a good number of people have experienced problems with other payment methods..I have had direct debits payments reappear in my account anything up to five days after the other party has verified they got my money..
    For instance a direct debit taken last Thursday and confirmed by the other company as payed , left my account on Thursday  only for money to reappear Saturday and to finally leave my account today Tuesday
    Thanks. Even worse than I thought so. Direct Debits shouldn't disappear and reappear. They are SEPA payments. They should stay in the account once they are paid

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Now BOI will not count cold, hard cash at 100 branches. Do they not trust them to be able to count correctly?

They can't count at all. They can't keep a persons balance correct and expect people to pay for this shoddy service

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Any transactions i have made since Monday are not showing up yet. This is an absolute joke tbh. I've no idea what i have left in my account at the moment.

And still no response from BOI, after 117 posts on this subject.

They don't understand it, but they need to get their IT staff in India to solve it

They understand how to charge people who have went over their limit because they have no idea what their true balance is. They are hitting the people that cannot afford to pay these harsh fees that the bank themselves have instigated.

• Advertisement

Do anyone think people would get anywhere making an official complaint to BOI on the fact they are charging people for overdrawing on accounts where they are not providing the customers with the correct balances?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement