Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Perhaps another example of cycling being a victim of its own success. I know people from my own club do hill repeats there on occasion and equally there are many others using the hill to challenge themselves. I guess some locals might be getting a bit frustrated if they are finding cyclists getting in their way and it yet again highlights the importance of everyone observing all relevant traffic laws (as I'm guessing there's someone around there who may be all too prepared to report any transgressors).

George Hook did mention these posters earlier, but he did claim not to be responsible for them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Saw this on Facebook earlier. When cycling up Howth Head over the years I have from time to time been blown off the road by motorists, this was when cycling solo and close enough to the kerb. I'm not surprised to see these signs.

Maybe some of the residents don't want to share their scenic locality with cyclists never mind the road. They'll be looking to put gates at Sutton Cross next.

As for George Hook isn't he the fella that likes wearing women's underwear but slags off cyclists for wearing lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

As a cyclist and motorist Howth Head is becoming a bit of a pain.

Cyclists on a road bike for about two weeks without the required fitness or knowledge of gears are on expensive bikes trying to tackle the hill cycling side by side at a snail's pace wobbling all over the road.

Coming downhill some are going to be hurt and sometimes look like loosing control.

As a cyclist and motorist Howth Head is becoming a bit of a pain.

Cyclists on a road bike for about two weeks without the required fitness or knowledge of gears are on expensive bikes trying to tackle the hill cycling side by side at a snail's pace wobbling all over the road.

Coming downhill some are going to be hurt and sometimes look like loosing control.

As someone who travels up Howth Head as both a cyclist and motorist a lot over the years I can't say I have noticed this. I wouldn't think its a route for only experienced riders on cheap bikes either. As we all know side by side and cycling in pairs is totally within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Saw this on Stickybottle too.

Some of the signs say slow down. Some of them say speed up/move out of the way. And some of them have Donald Trump on them and fail to use the plural for cyclist correctly.

#Fakenews :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

When I read about these I thought 'it's been ages since I've been over to Howth - I must cycle over'. I'm not sure that was the intention of the person who put the posters up :D

I personally think that x2 abreast whilst climbing and particularly on that stretch of road is poor manners. I think there's probably a place for some warning signs on the decent too, it's steep on both sides. I'm always waiting on a granny coming out of the cemetery to t-bone me when I'm coming down.

It's a pity that we can't as a society have a more mature argument about this sort of thing instead of offensive posters. Or mouthy George Hook sticking his ancient oar in. I mean almost every cyclist is a motorist so we get their pain. Every driver knows a cyclist etc. We should be able to get along a little better. I guess the problem is that we're all a bit too selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

AmberGold wrote: »
    As someone who travels up Howth Head as both a cyclist and motorist a lot over the years I can't say I have noticed this. I wouldn't think its a route for only experienced riders on cheap bikes either. As we all know side by side and cycling in pairs is totally within the law.

Within the law but very dangerous especially when wobbling out in front of cars as their legs give way or swerving past grannies from the cemetary at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Within the law but very dangerous especially when wobbling out in front of cars as their legs give way or swerving past grannies from the cemetary at speed
    A cyclist does not "wobble out in front of cars". The cars are approaching a cyclist who may or may not wobble or adjust road position in front of them.

That's why it is recommended to give 1.5m passing room whilst overtaking, which is usually as easy to do whether the cyclists are single file or two abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

The sheer crapness of the posters aside - Howth is pretty clogged up of a weekend with cyclists of all types.

I've never really understood the appeal tbh. If it's on your doorstep fair enough but for me heading out that way on a training spin always seemed pointless - far too much hassle stopping and starting, negotiating traffic etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

daragh_ wrote: »
    The sheer crapness of the posters aside - Howth is pretty clogged up of a weekend with cyclists of all types.

I've never really understood the appeal tbh. If it's on your doorstep fair enough but for me heading out that way on a training spin always seemed pointless - far too much hassle stopping and starting, negotiating traffic etc.

It's clogged up with far more cars though. I had the displeasure of being driven out there recently. It crawls along while bikes and even pedestrians at times waltz by at a good pace.

An awful lot of these cyclists spend money in a lot of the local cafes too so they'd want to be careful what they wish for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Coming from sutton cross, if you want you can swing right at the bottom and go up thru st fintans estate go a few hundred metres and left up to the top and avoid the main road.

If you see those 2 elephants out there tomorrow thats me and my mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's clogged up with far more cars though. I had the displeasure of being driven out there recently. It crawls along while bikes and even pedestrians at times waltz by at a good pace.

Really. It's baffling that someone would complain about cyclists when the village is choked with cars every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Who cares how many cyclists ride in Howth or how fast or slow they are? The roads are public roads and as such open to all. Provided no laws are being broken I cannot see how anyone can have cause for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Anyone up for a mass cycle up howth head at the weekend in solidarity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Playing Devils Advocate for a minute ... the speed that some people descend into the village from the summit can be really crazy! Far too many driveways and side roads for my liking! Funny but it's usually the people that you've just cycled straight past on the climb ....!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

C3PO wrote: »
    Playing Devils Advocate for a minute ... the speed that some people descend into the village from the summit can be really crazy! Far too many driveways and side roads for my liking! Funny but it's usually the people that you've just cycled straight past on the climb ....!

The set of lights before you hit the village on that descent is a pain but don't try and break it . I've seen a near miss there and it wasn't pretty

I'd agree on the speed of cyclists on the way into / through the village. Doing ourselves no favours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Especially if they have those old rim clamping brakes on the bike! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Who cares how many cyclists ride in Howth or how fast or slow they are? The roads are public roads and as such open to all. ....
    Tibradden Lane and Kilmashogue Lane are also public roads but, because they are cul de sacs, some of the locals tell us we have no business being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lots of irate posts under The Bike Comes First's facebook post with regard to these posters. One by a young lady who reckoned all cyclists were "pricks" and "we should run over them with our cars".
    The same lady's own profile is adorned with photos of her own young baby, who presumably therefore ain't never gonna get a bike for Christmas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Weepsie wrote: »
    An awful lot of these cyclists spend money in a lot of the local cafes too so they'd want to be careful what they wish for

No disrespect but that's kind of a weird inversion of the 'I pay road tax therefore I'm more entitled than you' argument. But based on Flat Whites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fat bloke wrote:
    Lots of irate posts under The Bike Comes First's facebook post with regard to these posters. One by a young lady who reckoned all cyclists were "pricks" and "we should run over them with our cars". The same lady's own profile is adorned with photos of her own young baby, who presumably therefore ain't never gonna get a bike for Christmas...

Or maybe she will teach him/her not to cycle in a way that pisses people off.

Give and take. It's not a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd need to double check but is the speed limit into the village coming down not 50kmh? I'd prefer a bike going 50 than a car, but I guess to the offended howth resident the bike probably appears to drive faster.

Regularly see cars breaking the speed limit up and down hill. Parking on the footpath by the cemetery and on both sides of the road. Parking on yellow lines at il panorama. Not to mention those car parks are a hideous eye sore on what is a lovely sea front.

Ever seen the traffic during the prawn festival? Where are the posters then.

It's the same old thing, cyclists are an easy target for the irate motorist. Get out of my way or I'll run you down or threaten you with "be careful or you might have an accident".

I love cycling around howth, I can't ever say I've showed traffic down and the only near miss I had was at the church when a woman and her dog stepped out in front of me as she went to cross on a red pedestrian light. She stopped, her uncontrolled dog kept going and I just managed to Dodge him. I probably would have been blamed judging by the posters. My dog is rarely off the lead and never when traffic is around, but it's easier to blame the cyclists, right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Especially if they have those old rim clamping brakes on the bike! :pac:

They'd be no help for elephants, that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Those talking about the descent into the village need to realise that they are climbing up Howth from the wrong side and htfu!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'd rarely go into the village due to the amount of traffic and pedestrians. I'd usually just go from Sutton to the summit and back. The descent into or climb out of the village aren't that pleasent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I'd agree on the speed of cyclists on the way into / through the village. Doing ourselves no favours here.

There is no 'ourselves' in this sense. I am not responsible for people who cycle stupidly, any more than I am responsible for people who drive stupidly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've only ever climbed from the village side, and only ever descended on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Think I'll take a cycle over to Howth to see these posters today,and I'll more than likely go back to see them tomorrow and Bank Holiday Monday too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chuchote wrote: »

There is no 'ourselves' in this sense. I am not responsible for people who cycle stupidly, any more than I am responsible for people who drive stupidly.
    Which is fine in you opinion, but we are tarred with the same brush.

Advertisement