Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dbagman wrote:
    my factual argument is ANY cycling thread results in the same bollocks. Cyclists V motorists. and theres never any other outcome than anything thats put to you lot is ridiculed. doesnt matter what it is youre always right. its a waste of time on both parts. I enjoy boards, but its slowly becoming a cars v bikes battle ground. why? cant we all just be a little more considerate on the roads and not waste our lives ranting on here about it?

I have my issues with some cyclists but most discussions here start off all the cyclists this & all cyclists that. The conversation goes downhill from there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have my issues with some cyclists but most discussions here start off all the cyclists this & all cyclists that. The conversation goes downhill from there

Dead right there. All is a term that gets everyone backs up. E.g. all guards, all teachers, all IT people etc.

I'm an individual. 95% of the time I cycle I am on my own. An odd time I cycle with at most one mate.

We don't think collectively or act collectively. There are idiots on bikes just as there are idiots doing a million different things right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

ThisRegard wrote:
    Keep an eye out for where I mentioned I had 2 cars here on the way, as do many cyclists. There is no "you lot".

But sadly there is. All you need to do is read any forum on here about cyclists and other road users. Like iv already pointed out from above, even the garda are "ignorant" to cyclists. It just seems to be a prevalent attitude on here. It always appears to be 'us versus them' in any thread involving cyclists and anyone else. A motorist suggests a cyclist is in the wrong. Rounded on. Pedestrian. Rounded on. Even the garda. Rounded on. How can everyone else be wrong all the time. Did I not read cyclists on this very forum admitting to speeding down this hill in howth ( not familiar with the area) all the while posting in a forum questioning why the locals have put up signs against them?? Bit rich if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Yea I don't like Tri-athlete cyclists! :pac:

What speed did it go downhill and did the cyclist break the posted speed limit? :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm closing this thread while I review recent posts following a spate of reports

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@dbagman
    I've had a look at your posting in the forum. You seem to have an anti-cycling/cyclist agenda. That is not what this forum is for. Please take time to read the forum charter. In particular I would draw your attention to the section on "relentless negativity"

If you wish to post in a constructive manner that's fine. If you wish to simply point out your perceptions of shortcomings in cyclists that's not fine and you can expect further action to be taken

And a general point to re-iterate for everyone's benefit. If you have a problem with a post or poster please report it and leave the mods to deal with it

Any questions please PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

EDIT: please do not respond to dbagman's earlier posts - this warning has dealt with them

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Most cyclists are motorists too. I drive much more than I cycle. I'm currently tearing strips out of myself here as I can't restrain the cyclist v motorist battle raging inside me.

I know the feeling - as I was whizzing down the Hill on my bike yesterday, I realised that if my alter ego had been driving right behind in the car, more than likely he would have been giving it socks about that 'oul fecker' on the bike trying to kill himself.

Tell you something though, it really was exhilarating, I recommend it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

07Lapierre wrote: »
    All my questions are relevant and the fact that you don't think they are says a lot.

Does the car have ABS/ESP?
    Is the driver experienced?
    Is the driver on the phone?
    Is the driver on any medication?

Do you know for a fact the answers to these questions?

Your questions are relevant, but it's a hypothetical situation - we can make up the answers. So I think they're unnecessary.

I was really only curious as to who can brake better (in a general sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

thejaguar wrote: »
    Your questions are relevant, but it's a hypothetical situation - we can make up the answers. So I think they're unnecessary.

A modern car driven by an alert driver will stop within 20-25m while travelling at 50kmh. It's something you don't have to put into practice regularly, so most of the time you'd be braking a lot more gently. General rule though is that 4 big wheels, and 4 sets of powerful brakes are going to stop you pretty quickly in an emergency.

On the bike, however, you often do find yourself in situations where maximum braking effort is suddenly required due to someone else's carelessness. I'd guess that if you could come to a dead stop from 50kmh within 40m you'd probably be doing well. However, you do have leeway to manoeuvre around the obstacle on a bike that you don't really have with the much larger wider car.

Reading the road ahead is critical in any form of transport. Reading people's minds too. This can definitely mitigate against getting into tricky situations. Too often other road users can assume that a bike = slow/not moving therefore it is alright to swing across their path in a manner they would never attempt in front of a bus going at the same speed. This makes things tricky when you are rolling along at 40kmh+ with a breeze at your back!

Overall, my rough guess would be that a bike would take twice as long to stop as a car from the same speed in an emergency braking situation. Generally a bike would be travelling slower so it's not so noticeable a problem. A little bit of consideration of this from other road users wouldn't go amiss though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that can be the next boardsie challenge - instead of who can go up a hill fastest, it can be 'who can stop fastest?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

'who can stop fastest?'

Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I can go from 30km/h to stopped in the space of my front fork. Unfortunately I had a face full of Yaris at the time.

How about "Who can stop safely fastest" :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, the old 'disc brakes vs. rim brakes. vs face brakes' debate. it never goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'd say the elephants in the poster would benefit from the air breaks by putting the ears out no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

thejaguar wrote: »

Which brakes better car or bike? I suspect a car, but a Bike isnt too bad either..

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Alek wrote: »
    Beasty.

Not sure using your head as a brake counts though ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Which brakes better car or bike? I suspect a car, but a Bike isnt too bad either..

Most shocking thing about that video is....

No Gloves!! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Most shocking thing about that video is....

No Gloves!! :D

Actually, Now that I look at it....what is going on with my left hand?? Looks like I have a nervous twitch or something! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just wondering why you didn't include the bit where you're doing 59kph passing the church. A genuine emergency stop there would certainly be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

hope you dont mind me saying this but you should consider hooking your thumbs under the bar in case you hit a pothole or stone to stop your hands flying off the bars.... #AntosProTips

• Advertisement

Just wondering why you didn't include the bit where you're doing 59kph passing the church. A genuine emergency stop there would certainly be worth looking at.

Because I truly believe you could say that about any part of the video. At what point does an emergency stop become unnecessary? What about the moment I rounded the left hand bend just above the church? What about the point in the video where I'm doing 49kph? How long did it take me to go from 47 kph to 10kph?

morana wrote: »
    hope you dont mind me saying this but you should consider hooking your thumbs under the bar in case you hit a pothole or stone to stop your hands flying off the bars.... #AntosProTips

I'm gripping the hoods? Earlier on I was holding the bars on the drops.

Edit; sorry I see what you mean..you mean putting thumbs under the bars when resting your hands on top of the bars! Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Because I truly believe you could say that about any part of the video. At what point does an emergency stop become unnecessary? What about the moment I rounded the left hand bend just above the church? What about the point in the video where I'm doing 49kph? How long did it take me to go from 47 kph to 10kph?

I didn't particularly want to personalise this but I do strongly believe that you have to anticipate the unexpected. This is what I was taught when I learned to drive a long time ago and I think it is even more critical on the bike. I am aware that it didn't do me much good when I crashed there last year but speeds of 50kph+, and even 80kph as recorded on Strava, must increase the risk of serious injury if someone walks out from behind a parked car such as here:
    1sxqvq.jpg

I didn't particularly want to personalise this but I do strongly believe that you have to anticipate the unexpected. This is what I was taught when I learned to drive a long time ago and I think it is even more critical on the bike. I am aware that it didn't do me much good when I crashed there last year but speeds of 50kph+, and even 80kph as recorded on Strava, must increase the risk of serious injury if someone walks out from behind a parked car such as here:

Would you believe me if I told you that I saw that guy as I was passing the church? I also saw the guy pushing the Pram, the lady pushing the pram, but Your right...things can go wrong when cycling/descending. What if the freehub siezed (which did happen to me coming down MtVentoux last year), what if I got a blowout at 59kph? What if....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

50kph is barely over 30mph. That used to be the lowest road speed limit when I was a kid, reserved for built up areas where there were parked cars and high probability of peds stepping out.

It's hardly Evel Knievel speed.

(yes, I know it's a limit not a target etc)

Lumen wrote: »
    50kph is barely over 30mph. That used to be the lowest road speed limit when I was a kid, reserved for built up areas where there were parked cars and high probability of peds stepping out.

It's hardly Evel Knievel speed.

(yes, I know it's a limit not a target etc)

Ok Ok...there was a headwind and I had to expect the unexpected you know! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Moflojo wrote: »
    Here's a visualisation of exactly what you're saying:

415264.jpg

Where did you find this image? I've been looking for it and can't find it anywhere (apart from here)...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd say the elephants in the poster would benefit from the air breaks by putting the ears out no?

Provided they weren't wearing earphones. I often see elephants wearing earphones in traffic. It's a recipe for disaster and a menace. I predict there well be several elephant earphone related fatalities this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Where did you find this image? I've been looking for it and can't find it anywhere (apart from here)...

https://jarche.com/2017/01/bike-friday/
    https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/834318239442280449

• Advertisement

Provided they weren't wearing earphones. I often see elephants wearing earphones in traffic. It's a recipe for disaster and a menace. I predict there well be several elephant earphone related fatalities this week.

I wear earbuds and listen to music on my commute. I'm not a menace to anyone and I fail to see how it's a "recipe for disaster"!

When I want to turn, I LOOK over my shoulder.
    I can still hear ambient noises (traffic, wind etc.)
    And to keep on topic, even the posters didn't mention earbuds as a problem.

Advertisement