Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That clearance distance is mad impractical on Irish roads which are designed for horses and carts...

You're right! Clearly not designed for 2 tonnes of metal traveling at 80 km/hr.

Even more reason to exercise caution when overtaking. If you can't overtake safely and see crossing the white line as the danger in itself rather than what it represents, then you clearly shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

11l60rq.jpg
    Look. It happened. As we passed one another
    was this cyclist unusualy thin or something?

6inches is 0.15m, there are 5x0.15m in 0.75m. From the photo it seems the arrow is a little over 0.15m in width. You should have hit him.

So as I said before you might be exaggerating (aka lying), or using a totally different definition of clearance which you are keeping secret about -even though you already referenced the photo and its clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I had a mad idea
    Not your first.
    I wished I was holding my phone to take a photo of the big grin on the cyclists face
    If you fancied the guy, just offer to buy him a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Fingal council should install these around Howth:

irish-council-installs-signs-to-show-riders-the-start-and-finish-of-strava-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out in howth today, you could barely move with all the cars. i went noticeably faster up the hill than i went through the village.

• Advertisement

out in howth today, you could barely move with all the cars. i went noticeably faster up the hill than i went through the village.
    Howth is destroyed with cars when the weather is good. It has a DART station. Why don't more people get the bloody DART? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they may not live near a train station?

they may not live near a train station?
    Drive to the nearest train station?

The amount of cars makes Howth a pain in the hoop to even walk around on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the camper van **** on the pier dont help the parking situation either

well, take my parents for example - for them, going to howth on the train is a near 3 hour round trip - and they live ten minutes from the maynooth line. driving there is just over an hour round trip.

(FWIW, the national journey planner is showing 1h23 for the outbound leg on the train, and google maps is claiming 32 minutes in the car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Best time to go to Howth for a quiet cycle?

A bitter December night, 7pm, in -6c temperatures, no other cyclists around and very few cars! :pac:..... :D

well, take my parents for example - for them, going to howth on the train is a near 3 hour round trip - and they live ten minutes from the maynooth line. driving there is just over an hour round trip.
    Well, that's different. There's no problem with jamming Howth up with cars for the inconvenience of all if it makes it easier for daytripping yokels from the midlands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Well, that's different. There's no problem with jamming Howth up with cars for the inconvenience of all if it makes it easier for daytripping yokels from the midlands.

Mod warning: insulting the poster's parents does not help get your point across. That's enough of that.
    Any problems pm me do not respond in thread.

my parents live in blanchardstown. last i checked, it was not in the midlands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Drive to the nearest train station?

The amount of cars makes Howth a pain in the hoop to even walk around on a nice day.

Driving to the nearest station also serves to block up multiple areas. DART is a fixed line, great if on it but our various lines have the most basic of connectivity. Same with the phoenix park, depending on where you live it can be an age to get there by public transport

my parents live in blanchardstown. last i checked, it was not in the midlands.
    Bah! My fault. Read Maynooth and jumped to conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

(FWIW, the national journey planner is showing 1h23 for the outbound leg on the train, and google maps is claiming 32 minutes in the car).

On a sunny Sunday? It's probably an hour and a half to drive there. Probably less to escape out to be fair.

i think my folks are clever enough to know not to drive to howth on a sunday, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The normal spin from primary school to home used to be about 10-15 min. One sunday, coming home from a gaa match, it took 1h30 due to howth-bound traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The normal spin from primary school to home used to be about 10-15 min. One sunday, coming home from a gaa match, it took 1h30 due to howth-bound traffic...

But you can bet that there were plenty of motorists complaining about the number of cyclists on the road and how they were holding up the traffic!

• Advertisement

i think my folks are clever enough to know not to drive to howth on a sunday, thankfully.

I'd say there's generations of kids scarred by it though.

is howth one of these towns which charges for parking on weekdays, when parking is not an issue, but doesn't on sundays, when the place is black with cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Funny how we don't, like other Europeans, use the water to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

is howth one of these towns which charges for parking on weekdays, when parking is not an issue, but doesn't on sundays, when the place is black with cars?

No paid parking in howth any day of the week. One of the reason the pier looks a camp site. They have talked about bringing it in but ppl locally dont want it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Chuchote wrote: »

Like from where to where?

Sorry, that was supposed to come out funny rather than insulting. I can't explain the thought process behind it, beyond it being a complete failure.

Sorry, that was supposed to come out funny rather than insulting. I can't explain the thought process behind it, beyond it being a complete failure.

I laughed, never mind the haters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,524 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin Bay Cruises is ahead of you... but they've only one boat alas!
    http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/

You might even be able to bring bikes onboard...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

Dublin Bay Cruises is ahead of you... but they've only one boat alas!
    http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/

You might even be able to bring bikes onboard...

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I meant - wouldn't you think there 'd be launches and sailboats flocking to bring trippers to Howth - including with bikes

Advertisement