Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dublin Bay Cruises is ahead of you... but they've only one boat alas!
    http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/

You might even be able to bring bikes onboard...
    Prices are on the high side though for a transport option and the frequency is not high enough.

It would be an interesting park and ride option from select north and south of the city into the city. Wonder what the insurance costs would be like for a service operator. Probably couldn't be run all year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,524 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Prices are on the high side though for a transport option and the frequency is not high enough.
    It would be an interesting park and ride option from select north and south of the city into the city. Wonder what the insurance costs would be like for a service operator. Probably couldn't be run all year either.

Dublin Bay Cruises I think operates only from May - September, and their website says that "Force 7/8 easterly may force cancellation" ... in fairness, it wouldn't be a fun trip in Force 5/6 either...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dublin Bay Cruises I think operates only from May - September, and their website says that "Force 7/8 easterly may force cancellation" ... in fairness, it wouldn't be a fun trip in Force 5/6 either...
    I was thinking that after I posted above. I remember making a very bad ferry crossing to Liverpool years ago. I swore never again. Wouldn't like going to work after a bad boat trip. And there's always the risk of vomit, etc.

Are there commuter boats on the liffey?

I was thinking that after I posted above. I remember making a very bad ferry crossing to Liverpool years ago. I swore never again. Wouldn't like going to work after a bad boat trip. And there's always the risk of vomit, etc. Are there commuter boats on the liffey?

All the ones I know of are sightseeing rather than commuter. Maybe if the canal didnt have so many locks?

Some sort of hybrid bike / pedal boat perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wouldn't think so. Low bridges and high tides don't really permit it AFAIK.

I tried the Dublin Bay Cruise from Sir John Rogerson's Quay to Howth a couple of years ago. Not the fastest mode of transport, but I wasn't in any hurry. It was nice seeing parts of the city and Howth from a different angle for a change. The fact that they've to lift the Tom Clarke Bridge to allow the cruise through is also fun :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much commuter traffic is there along the navigable length of the liffey anyway? most of it is already catered for with the luas anyway. point depot to heuston; and you can't go much further upstream anyway without running out of population centres, or running into weirs.

one thing the luas has going for it too is that it's not stymied by a low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Anyone know can you bring a bicycle on the boat?

Anyone know can you bring a bicycle on the boat?

It says you can here, but there's a €5 fee... I'd recommend phoning them if there'll be a lot of bikes in case they've a limit.
    http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/ticket-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

I think there used to be a commuter boat from grand canal dock up to the IFSC dock before the Samuel Beckett bridge opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thud wrote: »
    I think there used to be a commuter boat from grand canal dock up to the IFSC dock before the Samuel Beckett bridge opened...

Didn't it just cross where the bridge is from the convention centre to sit john Roger sons quay? Both sides have steps down to the river.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Didn't it just cross where the bridge is from the convention centre to sit john Roger sons quay? Both sides have steps down to the river.

It used to go up the Liffey as well to a point further up but I don't remember where too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There was a ferry fro outside what's now the new central bank building to the other side of the liffey. This was in about 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I was thinking that after I posted above. I remember making a very bad ferry crossing to Liverpool years ago. I swore never again. Wouldn't like going to work after a bad boat trip. And there's always the risk of vomit, etc.

Splash Tours type amphibious ducks, with bikes all around the edges, and commuters in Viking helmets, maybe?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Splash Tours type amphibious ducks, with bikes all around the edges, and commuters in Viking helmets, maybe?
    Going to work in a viking helmet does have an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Going to work in a viking helmet does have an appeal.
    Well that explains this happiness index then.
    ...work forces from the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden) show the highest levels of satisfaction with their current jobs...

Advertisement