Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Really. It's baffling that someone would complain about cyclists when the village is choked with cars every weekend.

Villages always complain. They complain about the congestion when people show up. They complain about local businesses closing when people don't show up.

You can't win with villagers!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mental illness is no joke tbh. The kind of person who goes out of their way to anonymously print and erect posters over an incredibly niche issue, usually has some form of mental illness or disorder, even if it's just some form of ASD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a hell of a difference between being mentally ill and just being a grumpy crank.

however, those posters looked commissioned. they didn't look like something that someone did at home on ms publisher and an inkjet printer.

someone needs to put a few of these up.

picture-49855-1449777745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

For me the big issue here is the quality of the posters, they are really good and well executed. I work and have 3 kids and fit some cycling in when i have time. The idea of having that much time to organise posters like that is alien to me. I wouldn't want to start/engage in an arguement with anyone that has that much time, so i plan to ignore and enjoy the spins up the hill as normal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd think they'd have out up signs warning about the danger of decapitation when cycling in Howth to put people off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

picture-49855-1449777745.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p

I suppose you could (though I wouldn't) put up signs saying "Selfish swine! Dragging your great belly around in two tons of metal and using the world's last precious drops of fossil fuel to do it! Get a bike!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've only ever climbed from the village side, and only ever descended on the other side.

Same as myself, don't recall ever doing it from the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Have they gone? I want to grab one to hang up (purely for the irony of course) but they do look like someone has invested a lot of money/time into em

Any idea on the size? Fit in a pannier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

It may turn out to be a stealth marketing campaign or viral effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As a cyclist and motorist Howth Head is becoming a bit of a pain.

Cyclists on a road bike for about two weeks without the required fitness or knowledge of gears are on expensive bikes trying to tackle the hill cycling side by side at a snail's pace wobbling all over the road.

Coming downhill some are going to be hurt and sometimes look like loosing control.

This so such a ridiculous attitude to have. Were you ever a beginner or did you pop out on a bike?

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    It may turn out to be a stealth marketing campaign or viral effort.

Aye, they look too good to just be put up by some disgruntled road user.

Still though...I wants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'd need to double check but is the speed limit into the village coming down not 50kmh? I'd prefer a bike going 50 than a car, but I guess to the offended howth resident the bike probably appears to drive faster.

No speed limit for bicycles, though years ago a not so wise mate of mine decided to overtake a coach coming around the bend where the first set of traffic lights on the descent is... and was closely followed by a motorcycle Garda to give him a ticking off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

endacl wrote: »
    Villages always complain. They complain about the congestion when people show up. They complain about local businesses closing when people don't show up.

You can't win with villagers!

Remember the Threatened Garda Strike?

That week a meeting was held in Roundwood with the Gardai.
    A local man who cycles around the area talked to me the day after the meeting. He told me the no.1 concern was not rural crime or the chance the Gardai might strike, or traffic safety. No, it was the cyclists. There is a gathering attitude that we do not belong on the roads and imo there is also a gathering subset of cyclists who could do with a dose of cop on.

So, are they still up or will the trip with my hammer be in vain???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Chuchote wrote: »

And it took 2 comments before Godwin was invoked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Parchment wrote: »
    This so such a ridiculous attitude to have. Were you ever a beginner or did you pop out on a bike?

Beginners shouldn't really be going down throigh the village at 60kpmh+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Parchment wrote: »

Beginners shouldn't really be going down throigh the village at 60kpmh+

I'd be quite sure that a beginner cyclist would crap themselves doing that speed. I'd have no fear of your worst nightmare happening unless of brake failure.

Now beginner motorists are a different story ðŸ˜

Chuchote wrote: »
    Indo piece has hateful troglodyte comments

Never ever read the Indo comments section if you value your sanity... makes the Dailymail comments section look like the weekly Church pamphlet! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'd be quite sure that a beginner cyclist would crap themselves doing that speed. I'd have no fear of your worst nightmare happening unless of brake failure.

Now beginner motorists are a different story ðŸ˜

I'm not a motorist though. I cycle or dart to work. I've seen cyclists flying down through howth village. No sure if they were beginners or not but they didnt really use their brakes.

Seriously, if the villagers want to stop cyclists and drivers going too fast through, would it be a good idea to redesign the roads in such a way as to force cyclists and drivers to slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

The posters were taken down the day they went up. I'm pretty much local and my other local cycling buddies alerted me on Thursday having seen a white car with 3 blokes putting them up.

I too rarely cycle down through the village but go up various ways and down by the graveyard. The graveyard is a death trap ;) with mourners parking badly and doing u turns so I don't think either side is appropriate for practicing fast descents.

I used to live on the harbour front and the bike was and still is the only rational form of transport in and out of Howth at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Now available! The Caption Your Own series, for all your guerilla postering needs!

It's not a caption competition, unless you want it to be.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, nor boards.ie take any responsibility for these appearing in place of pre-existing posters of a similar style in the vicinity of Howth and Sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

3 individuals might be the reason the messages are so mixed. They probably couldn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I saw the posters on stickybottle but not in the flesh. I occasionally head that way for a change of scenery if I have more time than my usual 2 hours and would normally climb the village side and descend the Sutton side

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I really think the issue locals, both in Howth and Wicklow, are having is the numbers of cyclists now compared to a number of years age. Personally I can understand how they may be frustrated as the current numbers on any given must have an impact on their day-to-day life, more so in the hills of Wicklow I would think. That said, there's not really anything they can do except learn to live with it.

Doeshedare wrote: »
    I too rarely cycle down through the village but go up various ways and down by the graveyard. The graveyard is a death trap ;) with mourners parking badly and doing u turns so I don't think either side is appropriate for practicing fast descents..

Ah no, the descent into the harbour requires the most caution for someone on a bicycle..

For starters the council need to remove the parking bays on the main road just past the church, stupid to have people reversing out of them and into the line of traffic is just nuts...

Also the turn from St. Lawrences road to go up the hill is basically almost a blind turn... I recall two of my training buddies being brought to Beaumont hospital after a old codger with a few brandies in him pulled out in his big old Merc and onto the road in front of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I was up that side today and no posters sadly. It was around 12.30, and while there was a steady flow of cyclists (I was passed out by I think 4 people), there were way more cars and pedestrians. The final stretch up to the summit was ridiculously busy.

One very irate motorist passed us though. I was on the inside (busting myself!) and a guy from our club who happened to be there was cycling in front of me but very slightly to my right. We were absolutely blasted off the road by a motorist who was on his way down (on the incorrect side of the white line).

On the upside, a PB on the Sutton side climb, and a delicious coffee in the village!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

a lot of cyclists out there today. i was there at 9.30am. it was magic. all shapes and sizes riding their hearts out getting all the health benefits in the glorious sunshine. long may it continue.

I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but the great thing about howth is there are quite a few routes to get to the top.
    End of the harbour up the road then up the lane and out to the main road and to the summit
    Up right at the church and then right up windgates and down by poor Celine Cawleys old home and out just beyond the convent.
    up from sutton theu st fintans then up by Ms Cawleys old house to the top and descend by the haggard int the harbour or come out at the convent and then take the right hand road to the summit
    or just straight up from both sides....

Thanks to the lad who helped me out at the summit with an air cannister.

Advertisement