Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I really think the issue locals, both in Howth and Wicklow, are having is the numbers of cyclists now compared to a number of years age. Personally I can understand how they may be frustrated as the current numbers on any given must have an impact on their day-to-day life, more so in the hills of Wicklow I would think. That said, there's not really anything they can do except learn to live with it.

Naw. It's the speed through the village. The distance from the summit Inn to main Street is about 1.9km. To sutton cross it's 5.4 km. (Both according to Google maps).

The steepest part of the incline is pretty much through the village and just above it. And that's just past a fairly blind turn. someone not used to the route will speed through the village putting himself and pedestrians at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3 individuals might be the reason the messages are so mixed. They probably couldn't agree.
    At least they car pooled, nothing worse than single occupancy metal boxes clogging up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

i suppose they wont do that criterium up there again. Start at the summit down to the first left, then left again and back out at the summit
    could you imagine!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Naw. It's the speed through the village. The distance from the summit Inn to main Street is about 1.9km. To sutton cross it's 5.4 km. (Both according to Google maps).

The steepest part of the incline is pretty much through the village and just above it. And that's just past a fairly blind turn. someone not used to the route will speed through the village putting himself and pedestrians at risk.

Are there "SLOW - Caution" signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah no, the descent into the harbour requires the most caution for someone on a bicycle..

For starters the council need to remove the parking bays on the main road just past the church, stupid to have people reversing out of them and into the line of traffic is just nuts...

Also the turn from St. Lawrences road to go up the hill is basically almost a blind turn... I recall two of my training buddies being brought to Beaumont hospital after a old codger with a few brandies in him pulled out in his big old Merc and onto the road in front of them...

As parking is already very limited in Howth I don't see why spaces should be removed. These type of spaces are common in many countries and are used without issue.

When descending on a bike it is easy to end up going a lot faster then you realize, I've often done it myself. I have witnessed two accidents over the years in Howth and in both cases the cyclists were absolutely hammering it down into the village.

As far as I can see it is up to both cyclists and motorists to take more responsibility for keeping all safe on the roads.

As for your second point, that's another issue entirely.

Anyway, hope all enjoyed their spins today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As parking is already very limited in Howth I don't see why spaces should be removed. These type of spaces are common in many countries and are used without issue.

Howth village/harbour will turn into a carpark soon if it's not careful, i'd like to see how the residents association would react then to a gridlocked village...which generally happens on warm/holiday weekends..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No sure if they were beginners or not but they didnt really use their brakes.
    Must have been some splash when they hit the harbour?
    Doeshedare wrote: »
    the bike was and still is the only rational form of transport in and out of Howth at weekends.
    There is a decent train service too.
    I really think the issue locals, both in Howth and Wicklow, are having is the numbers of cyclists now compared to a number of years age. Personally I can understand how they may be frustrated as the current numbers on any given must have an impact on their day-to-day life, more so in the hills of Wicklow I would think. That said, there's not really anything they can do except learn to live with it.

I've had this problem with the number of cars around Dublin compared to a number of years ago. I hope you can understand how frustrated I am as the current numbers on any given day have an impact on my day-to-day life. That said, there's not really anything I can do except learn to live with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was out there with OH myself this afternoon. Due to darts not running at she drove, even if I'd always prefer to cycle out. but plenty of cyclists out and all got one grand

Did have 2 however cycling on the cliff walk and ordering people out of their way. That's out of order and it's eejit like them who make it a misery for the rest when defending i think.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did have 2 however cycling on the cliff walk and ordering people out of their way. That's out of order and it's eejit like them who make it a misery for the rest when defending i think.

Well that sounds pretty shi... only time to cycle that cliff walk is weekday mornings, or Very early at weekends.. Holiday weekends.. afternoon.. crazy!

Must have been some splash when they hit the harbour?

They didn't use their brakes through the village, I think that was clear from my post. I'm sure they look after themselves however.

• Advertisement

They didn't use their brakes through the village, I think that was clear from my post. I'm sure they look after themselves however.

Sorry man, you have no way to know that, cycles have no brake lights!

It's little anecdotes like this which paints cycle users in a poor light

Well that sounds pretty shi... only time to cycle that cliff walk is weekday mornings, or Very early at weekends.. Holiday weekends.. afternoon.. crazy!

Precisely my thinking. I was walking it thinking, could bring the CX bike and do the upper cliff some day, but would want to be at the crack of dawn. There were far too many people there this afternoon for that

Weepsie wrote: »
    Precisely my thinking. I was walking it thinking, could bring the CX bike and do the upper cliff some day, but would want to be at the crack of dawn. There were far too many people there this afternoon for that

Did it one evening when it just went dark, fun on the CX'er for sure.. only encountered a couple of people who must have been caught out by the darkness..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Anyone up for a mass cycle up howth head at the weekend in solidarity ?

Is there anything to be said for another mass cycle?

Sorry man, you have no way to know that, cycles have no brake lights!

It's little anecdotes like this which paints cycle users in a poor light

I think I can tell if cyclists are speeding.

Example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxMdQFLiLPY

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Surely a car not used to the village will speed down there even faster though? I've often been passed on the descent when hitting 50+. Pedestrians will be very aware that traffic there needs to be looked out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I've had this problem with the number of cars around Dublin compared to a number of years ago. I hope you can understand how frustrated I am as the current numbers on any given day have an impact on my day-to-day life. That said, there's not really anything I can do except learn to live with it.

Our road has got much busier (during school times) because parents drop kids to school and sit idling their engines for ages during drop-off and pick-up times. More and more parents are cycling with their kids though - on the pavement, but that's fine with me as they don't go too fast. I tried to get the residents to push for a proper protected cycleway but they were all "Eeek, where could I park my car then???"
    jelutong wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another mass cycle?

Yes, and more than. We need agitprop. We need to get it home to Dubliners that safe cycling infrastructure is utterly and immediately necessary - and to drivers that junctions are places that may ruin their life and end another's.

Surely a car not used to the village will speed down there even faster though? I've often been passed on the descent when hitting 50+. Pedestrians will be very aware that traffic there needs to be looked out for.

Cars drivers tend to see speed limits. Most cyclists don't because they don't normally have to and because they generally don't have speedometers.

In that video watch the rear footage. A car catches up with the bike at 20 seconds, tries to overtake at 35 seconds but aborts as there is traffic but is left in the dust by the bike by the time it gets to the main village. By then the car is not really visible at all. And that bike is a bone shaker.

In fact in the comments he says he didn't know the route. Which is the issue. I think once you are just above the village where the incline is steepest you are committed to speed unless you have very good brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Cars drivers tend to see speed limits. Most cyclists don't because they don't normally have to and because they generally don't have speedometers.

In that video watch the rear footage. A car catches up with the bike at 20 seconds, tries to overtake at 35 seconds but aborts as there is traffic but is left in the dust by the bike by the time it gets to the main village. By then the car is not really visible at all. And that bike is a bone shaker.

In fact in the comments he says he didn't know the route. Which is the issue. I think once you are just above the village where the incline is steepest you are committed to speed unless you have very good brakeI

I would consider myself reserved if not downright timid when descending and I have watched that video twice - he is not going very fast? Seriously, I don't doubt that some eejits do bomb down that hill but that video isn't an example. IMO he is in control and and safe? Also you are off when you say most cyclists don't have speedometers. Most would have either electronic speedo or a gps.

I think I can tell if cyclists are speeding.

So that's not your video? And you're basing your knowledge of cycle speeding on a video of some dude on an oul' vintage boneshaker?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

In what sense do you mean speeding, as afaik the limits don't apply to pedal cycles.

So long as people have cop on and are keeping an eye on the road ahead this will never be a problem and it isn't any more a problem than drivers not looking ahead. There are just inattentive, careless people regardless of their made of transport

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I would consider myself reserved if not downright timid when descending and I have watched that video twice - he is not going very fast? Seriously, I don't doubt that some eejits do bomb down that hill but that video isn't an example. IMO he is in control and and safe? Also you are off when you say most cyclists don't have speedometers. Most would have either electronic speedo or a gps.

felt the same myself. The car was bit too close and he did well to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Chuchote wrote: »
    Yes, and more than. We need agitprop. We need to get it home to Dubliners that safe cycling infrastructure is utterly and immediately necessary - and to drivers that junctions are places that may ruin their life and end another's.

I think you mean all motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I can see the point regarding descending into the village at speed. IMO these's too much going on in the village (driveways, pedestrians and the like) to make a descent safe and, more importantly, fun.

cajonlardo wrote: »

I don't think he's going as fast as many cyclists would but he's clearly accelerating ahead of the car. Which indicates to me that the car is obeying limits and the cyclist isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I don't think he's going as fast as many cyclists would but he's clearly accelerating ahead of the car. Which indicates to me that the car is obeying limits and the cyclist isn't.

Limits don't apply to cycles, and even if they did it doesn't look like that cyclist was going faster than 50km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

If its 50kph, at no point do I see him exceeding that . I come to that conclusion by watching the broken lines and also the oncoming traffic.

So that's not your video? And you're basing your knowledge of cycle speeding on a video of some dude on an oul' vintage boneshaker?
    :confused:

Of course it's not my video. It's an example.

The car fell behind as it was probably obeying speed limits.

jiFfM.jpg

• Advertisement

are you a resident yourself?

Advertisement