Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think we should arrange a mass everesting attempt of howth hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think we should all climb up Howth Hill on kids tricycles. Lets see them moan about racers then!

On a serious note - it is genuinely getting to the point where cyclists are marked out as a distinct group that are fair game for ostracisation amongst society as a whole.

You get it in the media.
    You get it in every day behaviour.
    You get in stuff like these posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i think we should arrange a mass everesting attempt of howth hill.

Or to paraphrase, is there anything to be said for another mass everesting attempt of howth hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Lumen wrote: »
    A cyclist does not "wobble out in front of cars". The cars are approaching a cyclist who may or may not wobble or adjust road position in front of them.

That's why it is recommended to give 1.5m passing room whilst overtaking, which is usually as easy to do whether the cyclists are single file or two abreast.

Impossible to do on narrow roads sometimes unless you drive into the ditch

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think we should all climb up Howth Hill on kids tricycles. Lets see them moan about racers then!

On a serious note - it is genuinely getting to the point where cyclists are marked out as a distinct group that are fair game for ostracisation amongst society as a whole.

You get it in the media.
    You get it in every day behaviour.
    You get in stuff like these posters.

No just people who cause traffic jams and wobble up hills on narrow roads

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's actually very hard to cycle four, or even three, abreast. And very often people cycling two abreast in a group can appear to be taking up more of the road than they are.

414774.jpg

Note how one side of the road is completely blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

...and yet there is no traffic jam. Amazing.

Cyclists do not cause traffic jams in Howth. I have never, ever, had a car have to wait more than a few seconds to overtake me in Howth. I have never seen a queue of cars waiting behind a cyclist or a group of cyclists. I have seen cars jammed up, hardly moving as a result of the congestion caused by other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Did you miss the fact that they were moving out to turn right? Right arm extended gives it away! Motorists should notice that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You overtake on the other side. As already highlighted though these cyclists are turning right and so should not be overtaken regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Guys look like they're indicating to turn right, what kinda madman would want to try overtake in such a situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Did you miss the fact that they were moving out to turn right? Right arm extended gives it away! Motorists should notice that.

Exactly my thoughts too.

A car making the same turn would face no accusation of blocking the road then ? Quite an accetpable thing for a car to do when turning right...:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts too.

Apart from that, they are moving traffic. If a driver wants to pass them it shouldn't even enter his mind that he can do it and not cross the white line.

Apart from that, they are moving traffic. If a driver wants to pass them it shouldn't even enter his mind that he can do it and not cross the white line.

Agh but you are using clear and critical thinking, akin to a cyclist approaching a hazard, logically, a lot of motorists will think slow moving object on road = 'overtake'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

well at least he didnt mention hi-viz!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Impossible to do on narrow roads sometimes unless you drive into the ditch

Well if you can't overtake without going into a ditch it's obviously not safe to overtake.

There is so much inept understanding of how to read road conditions, i worry how people actually function outside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What's that saying again? It's better to stay quiet and let people think you're wrong, than it is to open your mouth and confirm it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

See , this is the rank ignorance that actually scares me. Because this level of ignorance is what kills or maims.

Go and find a copy of the rules of the road and PLEASE come back here and post which section suggests that YOU overtake persons turning right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Well observed!

And if one side of the road is "completely blocked" by a car or cars waiting to turn right, do you try to overtake them? No. Not unless you're - well, you don't if you're sensible.

Same thing when a group of other road users is waiting, signalling courteously, to turn right. You wait behind them until they have completed the manoeuvre, then you continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

This thread has derived from pure and simple ignorance, idiot's complaining the road is being blocked up, ffs this is the typical Irish attitude to every other motorist.
    6 cyclists 2 abreast will take up less space and travel faster than the 70 year old guy in a tractor and trailer bringing turf home from the bog but I've not yet seen a thread about the tractors blocking up our roads, do those muppets shout abuse at the tractor drivers ? I doubt it !
    This argument is getting old now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

morana wrote: »
    from where he started filming to where he stopped is about 1.2 km and it took him 1 min 56 thats an average speed of ~30-ish kph which is hardly excessive.

How dare you bring facts here...
    OleRodrigo wrote: »
    The main issue is that residents coming out of side streets, crossing the road in the village, coming out of the church etc etc..find it hard to spot a descending cyclist until its too late. You look, don't see anything, make your move and then suddenly there's a cyclist on top of you.

Its much easier to see a car, so coming down the hill on the bike you should expect people may not see you. Its a fair compromise between residents and cyclists out to enjoy the area, to keep speeds at a rate everyone can manage.

Fast descending ( 45 kmph + ) in the village is a technical skill that, IMHO , most riders don't have.

45Kmph + is barely considered fast on a flat road, on a descent it's incredibly slow and I don't like to descend fast.

As for the "I didn't see look", I don't buy it to be honest. It's not difficult to spot a cyclist.

I lived in Howth for a time, bikes are definitely not clogging up the village. That idea is just mental. You have to plan your trips as you could be stuck for some time trying to get back into the village. If the weather is good, you may just forget about taking your car altogether.

45Kmph + is barely considered fast on a flat road
    heh. i'm happy if i can maintain more than 30km/h on the flat without a tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

heh. i'm happy if i can maintain more than 30km/h on the flat without a tailwind.

Stop boasting 😉. I think it's hard to Avg more than 28km as a single cyclist.

The guys who think 45+ is not fast should do some races and surprise themselves with all the wins they rack up. If the pros average >45km in the first hour of racing the commentators usually highlight it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Doc07 wrote: »
    Yep - I can confirm I'm faster now than when I was single.....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Doc07 wrote: »

The guys who think 45+ is not fast should do some races and surprise themselves with all the wins they rack up. If the pros average >45km in the first hour of racing the commentators usually highlight it.

Nobody said anything about average speed though. The cyclist in the video who "flew" through the pedestrian lights (as the poster put it), wasn't going fast at all, while the poster said 45Kmph +, they did not have figures of 70Kmph in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I am a regular cyclist around the howth area...
    I have had a think about the posters ...
    I dont agree particulary with the depiction of cyclists as big elephants.... A bit ott!
    But i have friends who live in Howth & I agree that the numbers of cyclists has gone through the roof...

I think cycling 2 abreast is unreasonable in essentially a cul de sac of a road & just frustrates drivers...
    We could just single out... Be nice about it!

Another thing is we can slow down particularly on the descent into Howth Village: elderly people... Parents with young kids shouldnt be scared senseless by cyclists tearing down that steep hill... I have seen plenty of cyclists injured on the road, especially near Howth church... It is stupid & dangerous to enter a village at high speed... Also there is lots of holiday traffic & tourists looking around and unprepared for someone who thinks they're on an alpine descent!

So the posters were ott... But i think local people in Howth have some valid points to raise....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Arequipa wrote: »

I think cycling 2 abreast is unreasonable in essentially a cul de sac of a road & just frustrates drivers...

So the posters were ott... But i think local people in Howth have some valid points to raise....

A

Do you think people on bicycles are routinely travelling faster than the motorised vehicles that travel along what is "essentially a cul de sac" on the Howth peninsula? Or are you comparing the speed of the people on bicycles with the speed of people who are travelling on foot? Is your contention that a person on a bicycle presents more of a danger to someone on foot than a motor vehicle does?

If the width of the road is an issue, and seeing as Howth is "essentially a cul de sac", then perhaps it would make sense to create a one-way system for vehicular traffic around the Howth peninsula and use the leftover space for a dedicated, separate cycle path? A one-way traffic system would surely ease a lot of the congestion that's caused on busy weekends in Howth - congestion that is 100% caused by motor vehicles, not people on bicycles.

So there you are, the solution to all Howth's problems: A one-way traffic system around the peninsula. I offer this solution free of any charge. It is my gift to the good people of Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Arequipa wrote: »
    I have had a think about the posters ...
    I dont agree particulary with the depiction of cyclists as big elephants.... A bit ott!
    But i have friends who live in Howth & I agree that the numbers of cyclists has gone through the roof...

Another thing is we can slow down particularly on the descent into Howth Village: elderly people... Parents with young kids shouldnt be scared senseless by cyclists tearing down that steep hill... I have seen plenty of cyclists injured on the road, especially near Howth church... It is stupid & dangerous to enter a village at high speed... Also there is lots of holiday traffic & tourists looking around and unprepared for someone who thinks they're on an alpine descent!

A

Well said. A lot of common sense there....BUT..The Speed limit on that road is 50kph...what's a dangerous speed for a cyclist? For some 30kph is too fast, for others 50kph is too slow. (By slow, I mean they can easily descent on a bike at 50+ and still be in control)
    It all depends on the cyclists experience/confidence. There's no reason for people to be scared of an experienced/confident cycling descending a hill (the cyclist should anticipate any potential hazards and react accordingly)
    A car travelling at 50kph is a much greater hazard to pedestrians.

Posters were totally OTT and Illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Genuine question:

If a bike and a car are travelling at 40kmh and need to make an emergency stop - say a child runs on to the road - who's brakes are better?

I feel like I might stop more quickly and with more control in the car. I'd almost certainly fall off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

thejaguar wrote: »
    Genuine question:

If a bike and a car are travelling at 40kmh and need to make an emergency stop - say a child runs on to the road - who's brakes are better?

I feel like I might stop more quickly and with more control in the car. I'd almost certainly fall off the bike.

Genuine answer: Fine, don't cycle at 40kph if you are not comfortable doing so.

Advertisement