Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange anti-cycling posters up in Howth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I cycled the wrong way over the hill at around midday today. If I met about 20 cyclists in the opposite direction, that was all. TBH I really don't know what all the hoo-hah is about, plenty of room for everyone on the hill. My speedo recorded 26.2 MPH (42 kph) max on the way down, fast enough to be whistling past the graveyard. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

define 'wrong way'?
    42km/h is quite mild going past the graveyard!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

define 'wrong way'? 42km/h is quite mild going past the graveyard!

I think 50km is the maximum on that stretch so not slow either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

60km/h is the limit. and that doesn't apply to bikes.
    i've hit near 70 there i think.

60km/h is the limit. and that doesn't apply to bikes. i've hit near 70 there i think.

I'm not a cyclist so I can't say that I know the different rules of the road but I always thought that the speed limit applies to all vehicles?

• Advertisement

Nope, doesn't apply to bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

define 'wrong way'?
    42km/h is quite mild going past the graveyard!

Up through the village, descending down to Sutton. That speed is quite fast enough for someone who first cycled over the hill on a single gear sports bike over fifty years ago.

Thanks for that. Rules of the road are confusing for bikes. A bike is a vehicle. What gets confusing is some rules of the road say vehicle so for example cyclists can't leave the scene of an accident but other rules, I'm guessing speed is one, refer to motorised propelled vehicles and this obviously excludes bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Rules of the road are confusing for bikes
    Things in the rules of the road may not be actual laws. And you might get ignorant gardai challenging you on the law. I read people post before that garda said they were over the speed limit, and of course saying helmets are legally required and sticking to cycle tracks.

I remember the limit being 50 on the N11 while roadworks were going on. I was doing 50 or just over on my bike and every single motor vehicle was taking me over, well over 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thanks for that. Rules of the road are confusing for bikes. A bike is a vehicle. What gets confusing is some rules of the road say vehicle so for example cyclists can't leave the scene of an accident but other rules, I'm guessing speed is one, refer to motorised propelled vehicles and this obviously excludes bikes

Rules of the road are not necessarily law. The two should never be confused but are because of the RSA. This thread may be useful to you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136579

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

so cyclists expect to be considered as equals on the road. yet the same rules/taxes to use said roads dont even apply to them?? hmmmm......

dbagman wrote:
    so cyclists expect to be considered as equals on the road. yet the same rules/taxes to use said roads dont even apply to them?? hmmmm......

This road tax argument is getting old and I'm a motorist not a cyclist. It takes away from genuine discussion. For example some, not all, cyclists break red lights. Even if they paid road tax they still shouldn't do it. Some motorists break red lights and they pay road tax. Going on about tax takes away from the fact that no one should be breaking red lights.

dbagman wrote: »

Of course emissions tax doesn't apply. What would be point in sending out a letter to bicyclists with a demand to pay €0 be?

Of course emissions tax doesn't apply. What would be point in sending out a letter to bicyclists with a demand to pay €0 be?

Ye must break wind every now and then? 10c each time maybe? :)

This road tax argument is getting old and I'm a motorist not a cyclist. It takes away from genuine discussion. For example some, not all, cyclists break red lights. Even if they paid road tax they still shouldn't do it. Some motorists break red lights and they pay road tax. Going on about tax takes away from the fact that no one should be breaking red lights.

no mention of the fact (well as stated above at least) that cyclists dont even have to adhere to the same rules of the road. Speed limits being probably the main one of these. look im not going to engage in another cyclists v motorists argument as they always follow the same pattern, on boards at least. Thats cyclists are right and everyone else is wrong. Having only briefly glanced over this thread iv already picked up on how the gardai are "ignorant" towards cyclists and/or their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You must pay a boards forum tax for that post, please proceed to the "Log Out" button...

no mention of the fact (well as stated above at least) that cyclists dont even have to adhere to the same rules of the road. Speed limits being probably the main one of these. look im not going to engage in another cyclists v motorists argument as they always follow the same pattern, on boards at least. Thats cyclists are right and everyone else is wrong. Having only briefly glanced over this thread iv already picked up on how the gardai are "ignorant" towards cyclists and/or their rights.

Why post on a discussion board then?? :confused: No one forces you to post in a cycling forum thread but if you make silly statements in a public forum then expect to be pulled up on it.

car emissions dont effect the road surface. what the tax is meant to be for (admittedly not) and emissions only came into play in 2008 . so talking rubbish in effect. but hey, cyclists 1 motorists 0 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where did you get the 'expect to be considered as equals on the road' from? Certainly, I've never heard any of the organised cycling groups asking for this, because it would be fairly dumb.

But if you do believe that all road users should be treated equally, please install a tachograph on your car today and make sure you've done your annual CPD testing before you drive. If HGV drivers have to meet these requirements and all road users are to be treated equally, then you need to comply, right?

Ye must break wind every now and then? 10c each time maybe? :)

Tbh, I don't think I ever have on the bike. Something about being in that position would make me worry that it may not result in wind. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd imagine there's plenty of cyclists contributing more tax to the state that may go to the roads than a lot of motorists. Unless you're thinking of some imaginary tax?

And unfortunately cyclists don't make up the laws that apply to them.

car emissions dont effect the road surface. what the tax is meant to be for (admittedly not) and emissions only came into play in 2008 . so talking rubbish in effect. but hey, cyclists 1 motorists 0 already.

There has been no road tax for at least half a century. Get with the times! Stop talking rubbish!

and the cycling vultures circle....all to predictable. god forbid anyone should dare go against them. funny bunch you lot. like i said im out. dont know why mods allow any of these forums continue as all follow the same path. Unless.......boards bicycle Illuminati....

Tbh, I don't think I ever have on the bike. Something about being in that position would make me worry that it may not result in wind.

Actually laughing out loud here. :)

and the cycling vultures circle....all to predictable. god forbid anyone should dare go against them. funny bunch you lot. like i said im out. dont know why mods allow any of these forums continue as all follow the same path. Unless.......boards bicycle Illuminati....

Maybe try put forward a constructive and factual argument then rather than one based on nonsense? There's no road tax for using the roads, nor do cyclists make up the laws that apply to them.

And I have two cars and two bikes here, so maybe your cycling vultures (?) comment doesn't apply to me? Your logic does give me more rights on the road to single vehicle paupers though which is nice

car emissions dont effect the road surface. what the tax is meant to be for (admittedly not)
    Want to run with that argument? I pay €380 motor tax on a ten year old octavia. It exerts eight times the weight per wheel that me and my bike do. That translates to over 500 times the wear and tear - per wheel - that my bike does. Over a thousand times in total. So should I pay one thousandth the tax on it? Where do I send my 38c?

You just came into the Cycling Forum and are surprised that there are cyclists here?

If you make valid points they would be discussed but you just through out items that have been discussed many times and your side has been dismissed as been factually incorrect.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Maybe try put forward a constructive and factual argument then rather than one based on nonsense? There's no road tax for using the roads, nor do cyclists make up the laws that apply to them.

And I have two cars and two bikes here, so maybe your cycling vultures (?) comment doesn't apply to me?

my factual argument is ANY cycling thread results in the same bollocks. Cyclists V motorists. and theres never any other outcome than anything thats put to you lot is ridiculed. doesnt matter what it is youre always right. its a waste of time on both parts. I enjoy boards, but its slowly becoming a cars v bikes battle ground. why? cant we all just be a little more considerate on the roads and not waste our lives ranting on here about it?

You still here? Thought you were leaving ages ago.

Keep an eye out for where I mentioned I had 2 cars here on the way, as do many cyclists. There is no "you lot".

• Advertisement

my factual argument is ANY cycling thread results in the same bollocks. Cyclists V motorists.

Most cyclists are motorists too. I drive much more than I cycle. I'm currently tearing strips out of myself here as I can't restrain the cyclist v motorist battle raging inside me.

Advertisement