Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflict of interest

Options
  • 14-04-2017 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the following to me and explain how it is a conflict of interest?

Worked for a haulage company last year for 2 weeks.

I had to resign in my final day due to personal reasons.

No notice etc.

I was offered the same job with the same company today through an agency only to be told they can't place me there due to a conflict of interest.

I had no argument with anyone during my time there.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KC161 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the following to me and explain how it is a conflict of interest?

Worked for a haulage company last year for 2 weeks.

I had to resign in my final day due to personal reasons.

No notice etc.

I was offered the same job with the same company today through an agency only to be told they can't place me there due to a conflict of interest.

I had no argument with anyone during my time there.

Sounds more like it's not in there interest to take you back. As you have explained it I don't see the conflict but I'd understand why they wouldn't want you back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think someone has just used the term incorrectly in this case.

I'd say they don't want you back as a result of you leaving and not working notice etc the last time you were there. It's fair enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Like above. They are been careful as to not cause legal issues for themselves such as discrimination or whatever could come out of you complaining.

Might be best looking elsewhere as if you were taken on they could do same back or give you the worst of runs and hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Maybe agency mean they cannot place you in the role as they have something in their own contract regarding ex employees of the firm?

At the end of the day they are placing you in order to be paid for the service not for your benefit and so only care about that.

If you feel that you left on good terms and you now know there is a role available could you not approach the company direct and see if they will re-employ you directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

godtabh wrote: »
    Sounds more like it's not in there interest to take you back. As you have explained it I don't see the conflict but I'd understand why they wouldn't want you back

I explained it exactly as it happened, i wouldn't try and deny I done wrong, I did.

I have no issue with getting work anyway, it was a choice of them or a job with a waste management company.

Naturally the non waste job was preferable.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I think someone has just used the term incorrectly in this case.

I'd say they don't want you back as a result of you leaving and not working notice etc the last time you were there. It's fair enough really.

I agree, no issues there.

Like above. They are been careful as to not cause legal issues for themselves such as discrimination or whatever could come out of you complaining.

Might be best looking elsewhere as if you were taken on they could do same back or give you the worst of runs and hours.

They know I'm the type of guy who goes by the book, start/finish times, breaks etc.

Shafting me wouldn't work for them as stuff would go undelivered.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Maybe agency mean they cannot place you in the role as they have something in their own contract regarding ex employees of the firm?

At the end of the day they are placing you in order to be paid for the service not for your benefit and so only care about that.

If you feel that you left on good terms and you now know there is a role available could you not approach the company direct and see if they will re-employ you directly?

I wouldn't say I left on bad terms, but I definitely didn't leave on good terms either.

I done all my deliveries the last day I worked for them, just parked the truck and left then.

The agency were offering better money than the company were directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

They know I'm the type of guy who goes by the book, start/finish times, breaks etc.

Shafting me wouldn't work for them as stuff would go undelivered.

if you didnt give notice, how are you someone that goes by the book???

snowflaker wrote: »
    if you didnt give notice, how are you someone that goes by the book???

It was a family issue. I offered to forfeit my wages in lieu of the weeks notice.

Every other time I worked my notice.

As it was under 13 weeks of employment I didn't have no give notice and nor would they.

It was force Majeure

• Advertisement

It was a family issue. I offered to forfeit my wages in lieu of the weeks notice.

As it was under 13 weeks of employment I didn't have no give notice and nor would they.

It was force Majeure

Why would you quit if it was Force Majeur?

13 weeks they wouldn't know that much about your traits etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was force Majeure

Was this the company you posted about a few months back where you needed a day off and couldn't get it so you quit?

Why would you quit if it was Force Majeur?

13 weeks they wouldn't know that much about your traits etc

I needed a long time off as a result of what occurred. Bit difficult to explain publicly. The foreman had no issues, the Dublin bosses did.

I needed a long time off as a result of what occurred. Bit difficult to explain publicly. The foreman had no issues, the Dublin bosses did.

Its the usual your just a number.

Its a pity quite a few are like that.

Its the usual your just a number.

Its a pity quite a few are like that.

I agree, it was a pity.

Again the foreman was well up for taking me back but had to run it by his superiors in Dublin.

He even apologised, which was kind of him.

And you got your p45 over refusing to drive over the registered hours also was that a different incident?

Stheno wrote: »
    Was this the company you posted about a few months back where you needed a day off and couldn't get it so you quit?

Different one.

And you got your p45 over refusing to drive over the registered hours also was that a different incident?

Different company.

I can only imagine what else I said in over 2000 posts.

So is that 3 different companies?

So is that 3 different companies?

Yup.

• Advertisement

It surely would be strange to have arguments with people only there 2 weeks!

It surely would be strange to have arguments with people only there 2 weeks!

I didn't, i mentioned that near the start of the thread somewhere i think.

It wasn't a bad job, just personal circumstances intervened.

I'm starting a new job on Tuesday anyway on a temporary/full time driving contract with Panda waste.

Well good luck with the job!

Well good luck with the job!

Thank you :)

Hopefully it works out for you. Best of luck.

Hopefully it works out for you. Best of luck.

It's only temporary anyway i was told, so it'll do until something more sustainable comes along.

Had an interview today for artic work on a part time basis so i may be able to combine them without breaking the tachograph rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Yeah, the "conflict of Interest" is that the agency cannot make money off of you, because you are a recent ex employee.

However, why did you think the company would entertain taking you back considering (for whatever reason) they were content to let you go after two weeks work the previous time you worked for them - when they didn't accommodate your previous hasty absence?

Yeah, the "conflict of Interest" is that the agency cannot make money off of you, because you are a recent ex employee.

However, why did you think the company would entertain taking you back considering (for whatever reason) they were content to let you go after two weeks work the previous time you worked for them - when they didn't accommodate your previous hasty absence?

The agency proposed me for the position, i explained the history, they continued to proceed anyway.

As you said, the agency want to make money off me, i know the industry, i knew the company (irrespective of my history with them) and had everything else required.

No doubt the agency staff get commission for every person they secure work for?

Either way i'm going to Panda waste on Tuesday, i have had other interviews in the last 48 hours, so if any of those come up i'll run, of course i'll be polite and give appropriate notice, the last thing i want to do is get home stinking of refuse for the rest of my days.

The job is back home in Cork so i'l be packing my things and going back on Monday night.

Been here in New Ross for a while now but home is home, i was only looking at jobs in the 'real capital' anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The agency were offering better money than the company were directly.

Exactly and in such situations there is normally a clause preventing agencies from taking on ex-employees. Otherwise employees would just quit and rock up a few days later looking for extra money.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Exactly and in such situations there is normally a clause preventing agencies from taking on ex-employees. Otherwise employees would just quit and rock up a few days later looking for extra money.

Very valid point.

2 agencies were recruiting for the same company.

One was paying €11 per hour, the other €12.

The company themselves were offering €100 a day before tax.

Start at 7.30, finish anywhere around 7pm.

Both agencies advertised the hours as 8-6.

Advertisement