Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with a flat roof?

Options
  • 14-04-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking at possibly buying a new build (2017) bungalow with a completely flat roof.

The building is basically a box, no attic at all. It looks a bit strange, almost like a storage container.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any disadvantages to the flat roof?

Would it be loud in the rain? Any idea if you can extend upwards on top of a flat roof, it looks like you could just drop a second floor on top!

I believe insurance might be an issue so will call a few places to suss that out.

Thanks,
    BigAl.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If it's a new build. Are there drawings and specification to show compliance with building regulations ?
    If the new roof is installed by a competent contractor is there a product / install warranty ?

When speaking to insurance companies get conformation of the specific pitch at which they consider a roof to be flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Flat roof disadvantages that I can think of.

Disadvantages
    1. Drainage;
    http://pmsilicone.com/dangers-of-standing-water/

2. Loud rain;
    Can be a problem depending on insulation

3. Insulation;
    Insulation is often poorer in flat roof houses then houses with an attic and a pitched rood.

4. Storage
    You have no attic to store stuff so you may need more storage in the building.

Regarding expanding you may or may not be able to simply drop an additional story atop the existing flat roof. It depends on what the building is rated for. IE if the foundation and walls were built with the capacity to support the additional weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Also don't forget there is a lot more maintenance with a flat roof. We do get freezing conditions during the winter and good enough summers (if you like rain), so it's a lot of contracting and expanding. You need to check after rainfall pooling is not occurring. You can expect to be up there cleaning leaves etc 2/3 times during Autumn and anytime after a storm.

To be honest I can't think of a single reason beyond planning permission & cost to build with a flat roof on a small structure in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking at possibly buying a new build (2017) bungalow with a completely flat roof.

The building is basically a box, no attic at all. It looks a bit strange, almost like a storage container.
    Have you considered that they're selling you the storage container that they no longer need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ha, maybe they are!!

Here is the best pic I could get of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It looks like an extension to an existing house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

It's fully detached, the gable in the background is the neighboring house.

Tried 4 of the main insurance companies online and none of their quotes are valid as the assumptions state no flat roof.

Seems like a strange thing to build on 2017.

Not sure if it's different and cool looking, or awful looking! Hopefully have a viewing next week.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I done a new house recently like this. Completely flat roof. Had to keep heights down etc

Find out the construction of the roof (felt, fiberglass) and find out who done it. Call them and ask them out straight what the warranty on it is and ask what should you be doing maintenance wise.

Home insurance can be more expensive on a house with 100% flat roof so you need to keep on top of any maintenance requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

davindub wrote: »
    To be honest I can't think of a single reason beyond planning permission & cost to build with a flat roof on a small structure in Ireland.

Are they not reasons enough.

A lot of modern looking houses have flat roofs.

I think they have a bad rep due to poor quality extensions. Prefabs etc. They are one of those things that looks simple, but they need to be done right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

beauf wrote: »
    Are they not reasons enough.

A lot of modern looking houses have flat roofs.

I think they have a bad rep due to poor quality extensions. Prefabs etc. They are one of those things that looks simple, but they need to be done right

Yes planning would be an excellent reason, many extensions need to keep the height down.

I don't necessarily think construction standards are the issue on newer roofs in the last 10 years, new substrates prevent a lot of issues with pooling etc once the roof is majority clean but its the maintenance that invariably gets forgotten about that causes leaks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

My home 2 story has a flat roof it is felt covered which needs to be redone every 25 years I do not hear the rain falling on it I do hear crows jumping across in the mornings sometimes.

Leaves are less a problem than you would imagine. I don't get alot of leaves on it . water does pool a little but no leaks. House was built in the 1970s.

Very handy if you want solar water heating in. as they can point it in the optimal direction.

Survived the harsh winters a few years ago with no problems.

there was another house in my town with a flat roof and they changed it to a copper with a low pitch.

The only problem that we ever had was that the water tank is on the roof, in a box, with a lid, this lid once came off in a storm (over 20 years ago) It could easily have landed on the car. we got a rope and my self and my brother put it back up (we were teenagers)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Insurance can be an issue, was looking at a flat roof house recently, i think aviva insure flat roofs if they are modern type with whatever membranes guarantee against leaking, fire etc. Also <mod snip: recommendations by pm only as per charter> brokers count some flat roofs as standard for their insurance such as concrete flat roofs. You'd need to get all the details of the construction and then you could get quotes from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flat roof = water ingress eventually pretty much always in my experience, there is a reason insurance companies quote more for them..
    Seems crazy to me to put one on a new build unless there was height restrictions in place.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

We are renting and part of the house has a flat roof. It flooded last year with the heavy rain and the insurance wouldn't cover it so landlord had to redo it themselves. Most of the houses around here have replaced the flat roof with a pitched one for that very reason

Advertisement