Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist down: Emmet Bridge on Grand Canal

Options
  • 14-04-2017 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/gardai-appealing-for-information-after-cyclist-struck-by-lorry
    Gardai appealing for information after cyclist struck by lorry

Gardai are appealing for information after a cyclist was struck by a lorry at the junction of Harold’s Cross Road and Grove Road at approximately 3.55pm today.
    The male cyclist was taken by ambulance to St James Hospital where his injuries are described as serious.

Investigating Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to contact them at Terenure Garda Station 01-666 6400, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

I hope he's ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A ghost bike already at that spot. :( Hope he's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I despise this junction, recently upgraded to move a pedestrian crossing, but a missed opportunity to improve its safety, given the volume of traffic it handles.

Wishing the cyclist a speedy recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The Irish Times, obviously under the influence of estate agents, has moved Emmet Bridge - the deadly junction where this crash happened - from Harold's Cross to Terenure

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-seriously-hurt-in-collision-with-lorry-in-terenure-dublin-1.3049589

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Chuchote wrote: »

If only this cyclist had a better 'attitude' and a 'high vis' jacket. That would've easily repelled the force of a lorry.

Hope he's ok.

<snip>

• Advertisement

At least they're saying "serious injuries" and not "critical".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At least they're saying "serious injuries" and not "critical".
    A bit off topic but I was on the scene of an accident involving a female cyclist and a left turning articulated truck at the junction of Charlemont Street/Grand Parade at the canal last year. Not a pleasant sight I might add as the truck ran over her causing serious and most likely 'life changing' injuries. I know it's none of my business but I often think of her and wonder how she's getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I passed this incident on my cycle home from work. Three units of Dublin Fire Brigade were parked blocking the stricken cyclist. I caught a glimpse of the bike as I rounded the fire trucks and then I saw the truck parked up on the kerb and my heart sank.

That's twice in the last month that I've encountered a bike/truck accident.

I really, really hope that all involved pull through. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not another one. Hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery. By the way, whether it Harolds Cross or Terneure is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Irish Times, obviously under the influence of estate agents, has moved Emmet Bridge - the deadly junction where this crash happened - from Harold's Cross to Terenure

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-seriously-hurt-in-collision-with-lorry-in-terenure-dublin-1.3049589
    Asides from being totally irrelevant, it's probably just because Terenure Garda station are looking after it.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Asides from being totally irrelevant, it's probably just because Terenure Garda station are looking after it.

Well, no, Ted1, not totally irrelevant. Imagine a conversation in your kitchen:
    "Guards are looking for witnesses to an accident, hope they find some."
    "Where was it?"
    "Didn't you see a crash the other day?"
    "Yeah, in Harold's Cross."
    "No, this was Terenure, that's miles away."
    "Ah, ok so. Hope they find some witnesses to that one."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sad to see another one down. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

I was foolish enough to check the comments section of the journal. It's very depressing to see how others feel about other human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Its just so sickening at the moment. It feels like cyclists are getting it from all sides. From the Garda AGSI hig-viz nonsense to the Howth posters, George F-ing Hook, the bilious comments in the Indo / Journal, it is all sickening.
    Meanwhile another human is run over in his city, and yes the Garda are looking into it. Thank God for the Garda, I feel so damn safe because I routinely see their good work policing and enforcing traffic laws all the time around this city.

My thoughts are with this cyclist and his/her family and friends for a full recovery.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Discussion of infrastructure involved move here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it's heartbreaking to read / hear about another such incident.
    fingers crossed for a full recovery for this chap.

Gardaí have repeated calls for witnesses, including a lad in a black leather jacket and a small white fridge truck.

According to local people, the white van was apparently delivering to the shops at the bridge - the Gardaí might be able to track the deliveryman and driver down by talking to the shops.

A 9 or a 16 bus came by and at least one witness got on. The bus might have onboard video? And a record of who got on, since most people use Leap cards or tag-on passes.

Advertisement