Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen bike discussion

Options
  • 09-04-2017 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

PSNI say bicycle theft is so extreme in Northern Ireland that it's "almost the new car theft"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-38406065
    The problem is on the rise across Northern Ireland and particularly in south Belfast which, for the past 10 years, has consistently seen the highest levels.
    Despite its prevalence, it is estimated that just one in six bike thefts are reported to the police.
    In an effort to tackle the problem, police have introduced a bike registration scheme.
    Paul Manton, manager of south Belfast bike retailer McConvey's Cycles, told the BBC that people in Northern Ireland are not spending enough on bike security…
    "You could have a two or three thousand pound bike in your shed, which only has a £5 padlock on its door and no lock on the bike itself," he added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

retalivity wrote: »
    On my way home from work, saw a local scrote on what looked like a brand new canyon, black matte finish. Bike was way too big for him, and a grey and maroon tracksuit is not usual cycling attire, so assuming it was nicked. he came down fumbally lane and turned right up to newmarket. Caught up and shouted if the bike was his, he tore off through cars, jumped a wall with the bike and headed away down cork st. Little b*stard

Saw this w*nker again today on cork st on a new clean merida... unfortunately i was in a car on the other side of the road. This kid is obviously nicking bikes and taking them out to d8 to hand them off to someone, will keep my eyes open for him again but what the best course of actiom here?? Get a photo and report? Manhandle him off a bike the next time i see him??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

retalivity wrote: »
    Saw this w*nker again today on cork st on a new clean merida... unfortunately i was in a car on the other side of the road. This kid is obviously nicking bikes and taking them out to d8 to hand them off to someone, will keep my eyes open for him again but what the best course of actiom here?? Get a photo and report? Manhandle him off a bike the next time i see him??

Do not grab unless certain and even then could be an avenue of him getting you done.

If you happened to have dash cam or your phone just happened to be recording it would be fine but just be careful as you know if they are a minor they could try the peodo route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Maybe talk to the kid? Say to him that what he's doing is horrid, sneaking around stealing things people have worked hard to get?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Chuchote wrote: »
    Maybe talk to the kid? Say to him that what he's doing is horrid, sneaking around stealing things people have worked hard to get?

I picture him stopping his car to say something, then someone nicking his car

Weepsie wrote: »
    I picture him stopping his car to say something, then someone nicking his car

Dahling, you're behind the times, bike theft is the new black

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-38406065
    Bicycle theft is "almost like the new car theft", the PSNI has said.
    The problem is on the rise across Northern Ireland and particularly in south Belfast which, for the past 10 years, has consistently seen the highest levels.
    Despite its prevalence, it is estimated that just one in six bike thefts are reported to the police.
    In an effort to tackle the problem, police have introduced a bike registration scheme.

(every single other thing in the article is about what bicycle owners should do to secure their bikes, not a word about how the police are finding stolen bikes or stopping thieves!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I believe the children are our future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

rubadub wrote: »
    "F-off it's non of your business"

I always find this amusing. It's none of your business when you try and stop a bike thief yet that logic doesn't apply to them when taking a bike that doesn't belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chuchote wrote: »
    Yeah,saw that. It really made me angry.

Mm. But on the other hand, sending him to jail is unlikely to lead him out of criminality, and he'd behaved since then, and has worked for a hospice, suggesting that a lesson had been learned.

I assume the flats are called after the local Labour councillor who was active in the War of Independence time…

If he goes to jail for this, he'll find it incredibly hard to get work after a conviction, and his friends will probably be people who've been inside too. At the moment, he seems to be on a path to right living.
    Lock the scrote up, remove him from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ted1 wrote: »

I really think at this stage that burning them with fire is the only option. Unfortunately kids are being dragged up now. I'm far from old, but my God the way kids are being brought up now is just mad

I really think at this stage that burning them with fire is the only option. Unfortunately kids are being dragged up now. I'm far from old, but my God the way kids are being brought up now is just mad

Bicycle theft is an easy, profitable crime, and it doesn't seem to be one that the Gardaí or the courts take terribly seriously. What can you expect if a kid can steal something worth €500 and sell it for €200, and neither the thief nor (more importantly) the person who buys the stolen goods will face any sanction.

This will end when there are miniaturised bike trackers… wish the geeks would hurry it up and produce them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    i can't remember the exact quote, but there's something about the whole point of being a justice system is that it removes the role of deciding punishment from the victim.
    the chap in this situation does seem to have actually done something positive with his life since the offence, and throwing him in prison would probably do more damage to society itself than levying the punishment above.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts moved from Stolen Bike thread - that thread's purpose is set out in it's OP. Please do not go off-topic there. You can use this thread if you wish to discuss wider societal issues and their contribution to bike theft

cjt156 wrote: »
    ..and saved many a wayward youngster with just a kind word and an understanding nod, I'll wager.

Well, not really; it was an extremely moral area in general, and most kids could be dissuaded from bold behaviour by a shout of "I'll report your mother on you", which was the local threat; I never made it, but it worked like magic.

But the Corpo had the unfortunate policy of dumping "problem families" into a couple of estates, then drugs followed and life for the kids went to hell in a handcart.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the EU as a body doesn't follow the example of Portugal, which decriminalised virtually all drugs something like 15 years ago now; the method the Portuguese used (involving a lot of social work and medical help and housing, plus registration of users) has cut the legs from under what was shaping up to be a serious drug and crime problem.

Advertisement