Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TC Registered Further Education teacher

Options
  • 14-04-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, if an individual has a Teaching Council number as a Further Education teacher, could the said individual hold a post in a secondary school if the school decided to take him/her on? Then could such a person receive DES payment?

I notice circular 0025/2013 emphasises the necessity to be Teaching Council registered but but no more beyond this. Also I know of three secondary schools with such teachers on the main timetable but in voluntary fee-paying sector so I'm not sure whether they are DES paid or private.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Perthshire wrote: »
    Hi, if an individual has a Teaching Council number as a Further Education teacher, could the said individual hold a post in a secondary school if the school decided to take him/her on? Then could such a person receive DES payment?

I notice circular 0025/2013 emphasises the necessity to be Teaching Council registered but but no more beyond this. Also I know of three secondary schools with such teachers on the main timetable but in voluntary fee-paying sector so I'm not sure whether they are DES paid or private.

Many thanks

Well I know the PME students are registering for this sector in order to pick up subbing work during their studies because without a TC number you can't be paid.

To be taken on permanently would be unlikely because it can be disputed by a fully qualified teacher if it were known. I have worked with several people and have assumed they would all have the dip done. A few years ago, you could teach without it. If I didn't have a dip, I would stay very quiet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Perthshire

Well I know the PME students are registering for this sector in order to pick up subbing work during their studies because without a TC number you can't be paid.

To be taken on permanently would be unlikely because it can be disputed by a fully qualified teacher if it were known. I have worked with several people and have assumed they would all have the dip done. A few years ago, you could teach without it. If I didn't have a dip, I would stay very quiet about it.

I wonder on what grounds are the TC admitting PME students to the Register for Further Education: in virtue of being enrolled in the PME or just on the grounds of having a degree?! Cheers

I wonder on what grounds are the TC admitting PME students to the Register for Further Education: in virtue of being enrolled in the PME or just on the grounds of having a degree?! Cheers

Good question. I'll have a look again. I first registered as further ed but the HR dept of the VEC had to sign and I think it had to be stamped by the school again. So they may be registering as part of the PME because you had to be working in education to be registered.

Edit: Just checked the 2016 regulations and in order to apply, a person has to have engaged in an teacher training programme with placement (and a few other things). It also states that the TC has a right to register a person if register a person with conditional registration where their education is on going and registration may be needed. Also for people without a qualification, a person has to have five years practical experience and also has to be signed by the school/ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Perthshire

Edit: Just checked the 2016 regulations and in order to apply, a person has to have engaged in an teacher training programme with placement (and a few other things). It also states that the TC has a right to register a person if register a person with conditional registration where their education is on going and registration may be needed. Also for people without a qualification, a person has to have five years practical experience and also has to be signed by the school/ETB.

Very helpful many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think that avenue of registering as FE to get subbing is now tightened up

Advertisement