Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S coming to Santry?

Options
  • 15-04-2017 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Heard rumors from a few people about an M&S Foodhall opening beside LIDL in omni. Anyone know if it's true? Would be great if it was!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Heard rumors from a few people about an M&S Foodhall opening beside LIDL in omni. Anyone know if it's true? Would be great if it was!

Looks to be true going by the planning notices on the Swords Rd and on the hoardings next to Lidl.
    I can see Tesco making an objection and the traffic there on a Saturday doesn't bode well for adding another supermarket!
    Fingers crosssed it will become a reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

technocrat wrote: »
    Looks to be true going by the planning notices on the Swords Rd and on the hoardings next to Lidl.
    I can see Tesco making an objection and the traffic there on a Saturday doesn't bode well for adding another supermarket!
    Fingers crosssed it will become a reality.

What ever about Tesco objecting, the traffic into mainly and the outflow from the Omni is literally out of control at this stage. You cannot have one entrance in and out.

DCC should be not agreeing to anymore shops until it's sorted out and to be honest, I don't see how it will be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Yes, according to Cllr Andrew Montague
    https://twitter.com/MayorMontague/status/852264600473141249

TallGlass wrote: »
    What ever about Tesco objecting, the traffic into mainly and the outflow from the Omni is literally out of control at this stage. You cannot have one entrance in and out.

DCC should be not agreeing to anymore shops until it's sorted out and to be honest, I don't see how it will be sorted out.

They could put another entrance here
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3945697,-6.2473353,3a,75y,174.05h,74.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCXXeu2p0llQJdXzLqjpkyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it not Fingal CoCo?

• Advertisement

Is it not Fingal CoCo?

Fingal Co Co is north of Santry Avenue and Coolock lane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jd wrote: »

Would be very easy for them to run a road from Lidl, through the patch of land behind the Topaz/McDonalds - maybe make it a left turn only just to keep traffic flowing.

It's crazy how much they've added in there over the years while keeping a single route in or out.

I mean, who thought it was a good idea to put the exit of the underground car-park right onto an already busy roundabout?

I wonder if there also could have been a way for them to add an exit through the road between the centre and the Maxol (currently used for deliveries) back when they redeveloped the buildings that now house Boots & Deals etc

flogen wrote: »
    Would be very easy for them to run a road from Lidl, through the patch of land behind the Topaz/McDonalds - maybe make it a left turn only just to keep traffic flowing.

It's crazy how much they've added in there over the years while keeping a single route in or out.

I mean, who thought it was a good idea to put the exit of the underground car-park right onto an already busy roundabout?

I wonder if there also could have been a way for them to add an exit through the road between the centre and the Maxol (currently used for deliveries) back when they redeveloped the buildings that now house Boots & Deals etc

It is an absolute disaster, really is reaching the stage now where someone is going to get into a serious accident.

M&S is shooting up the building looks fairly big, I wonder if it is going to be two floors.

But they seriously need to sort out a second entrance and exit.

Here is the view from the back - surely there could be access that way.

417243.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Poorly run shopping centre, managment are clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

HenryHill wrote: »

Couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

AFAIK it is owned by a single family. So it is not as if it is run by a faceless American giant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

AFAIK it is owned by a single family. So it is not as if it is run by a faceless American giant.

Its run by two families and theres no end to their money. They wont even do anything with the toilets the state of them.

Ha the state of the Tesco in there. Gave up shopping in there years ago. When customer service go on the tannoy the paint peels off the walls

Ha the state of the Tesco in there. Gave up shopping in there years ago. When customer service go on the tannoy the paint peels off the walls

Not sure how much blame they should get for the way Tesco looks after its shop, but they've definitely made a bags of the place in many other ways - in particular the extension, which hasn't been full in the 10+ years it's been there.
    Its run by two families and theres no end to their money. They wont even do anything with the toilets the state of them.

They don't seem to like people relieving themselves on their land - only explanation for them having one (manky) set of toilets for the whole centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Should put it in Swords, get rid of that ****ty Dunnes in there.

The omnipark.ie website has been down for at least a year at this stage. unbelievable. Management are a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Great for finding stuff that should have gone out ages ago. Bought a 2005 bottle of Jameson 18 there last year (in a damaged tube) for 88 quid. A new bottling is 130+ quid; a 2005 is closer to 300 and nobody really cares about the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Impyinky

Should put it in Swords, get rid of that ****ty Dunnes in there.

I've been hoping M&S would finally get to Swords but I suppose Omni is not too far away.
    Still holding out hope that a big M&S (with clothes & home) will open in Swords eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Impyinky

From MKN site:

"Construction work will start in Spring 2017 on a new 1,320 m2 unit for Marks & Spencer supply food store. The store is due to open Christmas 2017."

With one road in & the usual insane Xmas traffic, should be a crazy opening ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Ha, that's class! I went back to the beginning and read every tweet.

Glass facade of the building is already in. This should be open in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Glass facade of the building is already in. This should be open in no time!

I read somewhere it wouldn't be open till December which surprised me really.
    Looking at the current progress it could be open by late August early September.

Don't want to turn this thread into a rant about how bad Omni management is at long-term thinking, but was in the upstairs bit last week and saw that they had planning permission up to turn the unit that used to house Menarys into a gym studio.

They don't seem to have any strategy for driving footfall up there - all of the tenants bar the wool shop are effectively appointment-led destinations (hairdresser, driving licence office, estate agents). Not to mention the fact that two of the units don't allow access on that floor.

It's the same way they seem happy to have a churn of cheap clothes shops in the main centre rather than try to think ahead and build a better balance of retailers. As long as rent is being paid, who cares?

Still no word on what's going in between the new M&S and Lidl in the smaller unit. I hope it won't be left vacant like a lot of the Omni already is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Fit for Less is the gym going in. They have the small gym in the old Total Fitness in Clare Hall too.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Fit for Less is the gym going in. They have the small gym in the old Total Fitness in Clare Hall too.

The same crowd behind Energie fitness (their very ugly website says they'll have a gym in Finglas soon too - on the North Road where all the car dealerships are).

It seems like €259 is the standard for a year's membership, so the Santry branch may struggle to compete with Ben Dunne (swimming pool, more studio space) & FlyeFit's new Drumcondra branch (much better opening hours, probably bigger studio too).

Kh1993 wrote: »

Isn't that on the first floor of the Omni itself? Not the small unit between Lidl and M&S?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Yeah apologies, was answering post a few back where someone said a gym is going in the old Menarys. Haven't a clue where its going. Their instagram has a floor plan, but no measurements, it doesn't look big anyway so could be right that its upstairs and not outside beside Dealz.

Advertisement