Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S coming to Santry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Noticed the hoarding has come down in the last few days. Shouldn’t be long now although the internal fit out doesn’t seem to have started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Strange how still nothing official has been said from either M&S or Omni themeslves.

Strange how still nothing official has been said from either M&S or Omni themeslves.

Asked them on face puke and they said it'll be open before the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

jd you were supposed to call 1800 656 641

:cool::pac:

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    jd you were supposed to call 1800 656 641

:cool::pac:

I put manners on them! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Drove by the new building the other day - there's fencing & a path/kerbing installed to the side and while it's hard to know for sure it looks like it's there to stay (maybe being used as access for deliveries at most).

If that's the case it means the centre will still have a single entrance/exit, with every car forced through the roundabout outside Topaz. Can't understand why they would add to what is already a major bottle-neck, or why they're being allowed to do so by planners etc.

flogen wrote: »
    Drove by the new building the other day - there's fencing & a path/kerbing installed to the side and while it's hard to know for sure it looks like it's there to stay (maybe being used as access for deliveries at most).

If that's the case it means the centre will still have a single entrance/exit, with every car forced through the roundabout outside Topaz. Can't understand why they would add to what is already a major bottle-neck, or why they're being allowed to do so by planners etc.

I’d say that side pathway would be used for deliveries/emergency access but yeah it’s really crazy leaving the entrance as is!

I see the omnipark.ie website is back. Still no mention of M&S though!

Looks like they've started fit out431283.jpg

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Looks like they've started fit out431283.jpg

Due to open sometime in November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Was up there yesterday and notice some 'M&S Cafe' branding on the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Its going to be a food store, (with a cafe as previous poster!!)

Hard to understand why M&S are opening in Santry, not a commentary on Santry or Ballymun just seems unusual.

Signage is up! Any day now!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

imme wrote: »

Hard to understand why M&S are opening in Santry, not a commentary on Santry or Ballymun just seems unusual.

Not at all unusual, no good option in north of Dublin. once you pass Clarion Quay. They'll draw people from a large catchment. Would imagine it will be very busy from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Not really that hard to understand. They have no shop of that side of the city. The north/west side of the city is covered with Blanchardardtown and Liffey Valley. I'm surprised they didn't go into the Pavillions or Airside when they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

TallGlass wrote: »
    What ever about Tesco objecting, the traffic into mainly and the outflow from the Omni is literally out of control at this stage. You cannot have one entrance in and out.

DCC should be not agreeing to anymore shops until it's sorted out and to be honest, I don't see how it will be sorted out.

Irish Planners,and Dublin ones in particular,appear to have a deviant fixation with single entrance/exit layouts into the very largest developments.

It would appear that the craziest,least realistic proposal will AWAYS get the nod from Local Authority Planners.

It's not a new thing,as can be seen in so many of Dublins city-centre developments since the 1970's,most of which feature either single or very closely spaced entrance/exits.

Part of it,I suspect is the LA not wanting to have charges of being Car centric levelled against them,but thus failing to recognize the reality of such developments being TOTALLY reliant on Private car traffic for footfall.

The almost total lack of high-frequency main and local based Public Transport options result in this skewing of business,but none of the big guns in Planning are willing yet to break that vicious circle.

The poster boy for this amateurish cack-handedness,sits just outside the village of Dundrum in Dublin 14,where centuries old roads & traffic infrastructure remains untouched,in order to spite the very essence of the "Dundrum Town Centre" dominating the landscape.

Incredible to think that somebody actually sat down,and planned a scenario in which one single Retail Development can (and regularly does) impact directly upon a major European Motorway Route as in the M50/M11 Rosslare-Rest of Europe gateway....:rolleyes:

Hopefully,the Dundrum "crew" were'nt involved in the Santry gig,but knowing Ireland,there's probably a Brother or Sister in Law in there somewhere...:mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

copacetic wrote: »
    Not at all unusual, no good option in north of Dublin. once you pass Clarion Quay. They'll draw people from a large catchment. Would imagine it will be very busy from the beginning.
    this isn't a good option though, the Swords Road at Omni and Santry Avenue will be fulltime car parks.

That's the only conclusion I can come to.

If someone lives in Swords for example and is driving past Omni would they be inclined to detour into Omni/M&S and get stuck for hours on end, ok not hours on end but it would be a nightmare to go in to M&S for a bag of salad or what have you and try to get back onto the Swords Road.

Not really that hard to understand. They have no shop of that side of the city. The north/west side of the city is covered with Blanchardardtown and Liffey Valley. I'm surprised they didn't go into the Pavillions or Airside when they opened.
    there's already a TESCO in Omni with their Finest* (questionable) range, Lidl with their Deluxe range and an Aldi within a stone's throw with their own high quality range.

Overall for M&S just looks like a weird place, maybe the decision maker was having a fit at the time!

M&S worldwide went through a retrenchment a few years back, sold off Brooks Brothers in the US, got rid of flagship store on Blvd Hausmann in Paris, and closed their Dun Laoghaire food-only shop.

As I say Santry looks like a weird choice for a food-only M&S shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Traffic in the Omni was already going to be a nightmare with the run up to Christmas and this is just going to make it worse. Honestly, it'll put me off visiting the centre at all. Don't get me wrong, I like that they're adding more shops, but the traffic situation is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

there's already a TESCO in Omni with their Finest* (questionable) range, Lidl with their Deluxe range and an Aldi within a stone's throw with their own high quality range.

Overall for M&S just looks like a weird place, maybe the decision maker was having a fit at the time!

M&S worldwide went through a retrenchment a few years back, sold off Brooks Brothers in the US, got rid of flagship store on Blvd Hausmann in Paris, and closed their Dun Laoghaire food-only shop.

As I say Santry looks like a weird choice for a food-only M&S shop.

Couldn’t disagree more.
    If you exclude the northwest of the city which has an M&S in Blanch then look at a map and you can see Santry is ideally located to cover trade from north and northeast of the city including Swords.
    While yes traffic on a Saturday can be a nightmare it’s no worse than the Pavillions or other shopping centres nearby.
    If Santry is a weird choice where would be a better location considering they don’t have a store anywhere else on the northside.

Santry isn't a bad choice. People from Drumcondra, Beaumont, Glasnevin etc use the Omni. The demographics in Northwood etc wouldn't be bad for their ready meal range etc.

Anyway, local barber was saying that it just need to be stocked and alcohol licencing sorted (!)

433148.png

Definitely M&S cafe, and something about home delivery on a sign too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That sign looks a bit tacky for M&S to be honest. I assume it's just a temporary sign?

TallGlass wrote: »
    That sign looks a bit tacky for M&S to be honest. I assume it's just a temporary sign?

You would think! Unfortunately it isn’t

For those people jumping up ad down trying to look inside earlier today..

433310.jpg

433311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Signage is up! Any day now!

Opening November 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's like waiting for Santy isn't it? :D

I see they’ve tagged the parody Omni Twitter account in their opening announcement 😂😂 https://twitter.com/mandsireland/status/931464919970648066

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

This weeks Northside People has a voucher for €5 off €25 spent. Valid until Dec 10th:)

Advertisement