Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intro to hunting

Options
  • 15-04-2017 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

might be a silly question.

I have searched but possibly not trying to the correct search terms.
    Does there exist some kind of hunting package? Tour or introduction where you can go out with an experienced hunter to track and kill a deer/ other wild animal and cook ?
    I have tried to search for such a service but all I can find are trophy type stag/ holidays not the kind of thing I am interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Look at the likes of Irish Deer Services for what is required to facilitate a non hunter to stalking a deer here.
    I'm not aware of any one offing a complete package from field to fork - each step tends to be separated by different skills sets and trades: stalker, butcher and chef.
    There's a lot of red tape and practical logistics involved if it where to be packaged into a single business plan. The practicality of actually butchering and preparing then cooking an animal that you personally culled is fairly poor given the time span for hanging the meat etc.

I've looked a Scottish packages including rifle hire and opting for a cull animal (any animal the estate wishes to kill regardless of condition, gender etc)- the cheapest option and found them to be reasonable in price. If you could tie in with a package that offered boarding and a dining experience then your half way there. But remember in order to take the shot you need to prove to the stalker your competent with the rifle.

Your best option and cheapest by far is to get a few walk outs with some experienced stalkers here who also process their own venison.

Others lads here may have a better insight as to what your seeking..

Advertisement