Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling daffodil and tulip bulbs

Options
  • 15-04-2017 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I have a big pot in which I grew daffodils and tulips. They looked beautiful but are beginning to wilt and wane. Can I recycle the bulbs for next year? What would that involve? Do I dig them up, and replant in the garden in the hope they'll come back next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are doing what bulbs do! Daffodils you leave in and they will come up next year - you could put the pot in a corner somewhere till next spring.

Tulips are a bit different, you can leave them but they don't tend to do as well the following year unless the bulbs have been dug up and stored then replanted in the autumn. I don't know much about tulip bulbs, maybe someone else will have more specific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Just leave them to their own devices, to fade naturally; and they are still storing up nutrients during this time, which will all emerge as new flowers next spring!
    So you may water the pot until the leaves have faded completely, then just put it out of sight, as @looksee advised, and watch for signs of activity next February.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looksee wrote: »
    Tulips are a bit different, you can leave them but they don't tend to do as well the following year unless the bulbs have been dug up and stored then replanted in the autumn. I don't know much about tulip bulbs, maybe someone else will have more specific advice.
    i know bugger all about tulips, but the ones in my garden are perfectly happy year on year without being dug up. currently putting on a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

i know bugger all about tulips, but the ones in my garden are perfectly happy year on year without being dug up. currently putting on a good show.

X2 my tulips have been in situ 10+years. Come back reliably every year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's interesting, I picked that up somewhere and my own very few tulips have not looked great after the first year, but for some reason I don't have that many. Might give them another go. I had some in a pot from last year and they have not flowered at all this year, just leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tulips are fine left in the ground. They don't multiple the way daffodils do, but mine are in the garden 30 years.

Advertisement