Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious places to put a Garda

Options
  • 15-04-2017 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

So, you know that there is a Garda reliably stationed in front of the GPO to help tourists etc.
    I walk by two spots most days that would seem a much better use of their time. One is the Ilac side door on Moore Street where you can't walk in without three or four people asking you quite loudly if you'd like to buy tobacco or cigarettes. The other is Merchant's Quay, especially when the queue to get in forms daily at 2pm, where people just blatantly deal drugs and inject outside as the public try to walk by. I had to hand deliver a letter there recently and was asked if I wanted to buy gear.
    I mean the Guards know all this messing is going on, right?
    Is it too much hassle/paperwork to try and process all these offences - is that the issue?
    I'm not trying to ruin everyone's buzz but the black market cigarette trade isn't exactly one that is beneficial to taxpayers or the health service. And it's hardly black market or 'underground', it seems as easy to buy them as it does your fruit and veg or lighters-five-for-a-pound now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You cant do that. Think of all the hse time wasters who pretend some ad of theirs is reducing smoking. If they had to come into contact with the reality of the extent of black market smoking itd melt their little snowflake. Have you no compassion?
    A black market smoker isnt a statistic. They dont exist as far as official ireland is concerned, except for scrooge mcnoonan who counts every cent and knows the price of a packet of 20 on moore street and newry.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

Maybe you should approach Noreen and ask to take over her job. How do you expect a single Garda who's been instructed (presumably) to be at a particular place, to magically be in three places. Instead of thinking Boards.ie can sort life's troubles, why not write into (or source an email address) for the Superintendent responsible for the area concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you move the guard from outside the GPO round to Moore St, the cigarette traders will move around to the GPO.

What do you do then, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Ha- I'm not suggesting putting the GPO Garda in those places. I'm wondering why places that are obviously regular sites for petty crime are just ignored when it comes to Garda patrol or presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    Ha- I'm not suggesting putting the GPO Garda in those places. I'm wondering why places that are obviously regular sites for petty crime are just ignored when it comes to Garda patrol or presence.

It's because there are a limited number of Gardai to go round.

They have to prioritise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I'd rather have them standing outside the GPO than nabbing someone for selling a pack of cigs around the corner. O'Connell street is full of "unsavoury" people and a hell of a lot more people collect their pension in the GPO. I would like to think that their presence there would reduce the pensioner's chances of being mugged as they stepped out in to the street. Although on the flip side walk a bit down the road and there is no guards around so they wouldn't get much protection then. Either way, still prefer them there to maybe even notice if people are watching who is collecting money etc. and hopefully prevent any attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A black market smoker isnt a statistic. .

They are. The tabacco industry does does surveys on the level of black market cigarettes being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Maybe you should approach Noreen and ask to take over her job. How do you expect a single Garda who's been instructed (presumably) to be at a particular place, to magically be in three places. Instead of thinking Boards.ie can sort life's troubles, why not write into (or source an email address) for the Superintendent responsible for the area concerned?[/QUOTE]

I don't get this kinda response at all, Boards is a discussion board & OP started a topic to discuss, If we all did what you suggest we wouldn't be here. chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

On the Op,
    The Garda I am sure are well aware of the illegal activity's that are going on about the city & country, The sellers are at the bottom rung of the ladder & be replaced in hours, The powers to be are more interested in catching the Big importers and other main players in this seedy underworld. Not that they will ever stop it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

On the Op,
    The Garda I am sure are well aware of the illegal activity's that are going on about the city & country, The sellers are at the bottom rung of the ladder & be replaced in hours, The powers to be are more interested in catching the Big importers and other main players in this seedy underworld. Not that they will ever stop it imo.

Garda used to always be standing across from merchants Quay but probably not as much lately due to shortages.

As for the black market cigarette. I've often seen customs patrol the area, perhaps the garda are more interested in the people supplying the cigarettes than the nobodies selling them, again due to shortages

Too much crime not enough resources leads to the situation we have currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Leave the poor ciggy dealers alone. People wouldn't be able to afford to smoke without them.

I jest. Fact is as previous poster said, Gardai would nick them, take them down the cells and they'd be replaced within minutes by others selling them. No win situation all round.

Regards Merchants Quay; I think the sooner supervised injecting rooms are implemented the better. Would take addicts off the streets so people can pretend they don't exist. Will give them a safe sterile environment to use in with people there to advise them of their options should they decide they want to get clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Leave the poor ciggy dealers alone. People wouldn't be able to afford to smoke without them.

I jest. Fact is as previous poster said, Gardai would nick them, take them down the cells and they'd be replaced within minutes by others selling them. No win situation all round.

Regards Merchants Quay; I think the sooner supervised injecting rooms are implemented the better. Would take addicts off the streets so people can pretend they don't exist. Will give them a safe sterile environment to use in with people there to advise them of their options should they decide they want to get clean.

Hopefully, but I doubt it. Garda will be watching the injection centre, so if you have warrants etc you will probably not going near there.

Similarly if you owe someone money, you will not go there

I genuinely don't think it will have a massive difference to Street junkies injecting

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

Maybe you should approach Noreen and ask to take over her job. How do you expect a single Garda who's been instructed (presumably) to be at a particular place, to magically be in three places. Instead of thinking Boards.ie can sort life's troubles, why not write into (or source an email address) for the Superintendent responsible for the area concerned?[/QUOTE]

I don't get this kinda response at all, Boards is a discussion board & OP started a topic to discuss, If we all did what you suggest we wouldn't be here. chill out.

The point that is highlighted by you is a valid option for the OP. I'm well aware boards.ie is a discussion platform, but life's troubles cannot be solved here. I'm very chilled thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Garda used to always be standing across from merchants Quay but probably not as much lately due to shortages.

As for the black market cigarette. I've often seen customs patrol the area, perhaps the garda are more interested in the people supplying the cigarettes than the nobodies selling them, again due to shortages

Too much crime not enough resources leads to the situation we have currently

Used to work beside MQ up until last Christmas. Kevin St Garda station have guards doing overtime (uniformed and plainclothes) on weekdays for the specific purpose of hassling the addicts that congregate in the area. Even then there's only so much they can do, seeing as being an addict isn't a crime in and of itself.

Advertisement