Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-dacia-logan-left-hand-drive/17552741

MjcwOTRiMjg2MmNmNWJmOGNmMjM1NmYyN2RhOThjYWFYN6mEEYsdkRTd5RcwA80vaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTMwMTY1NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Debatable bangernomics entry for sure. LPG, NCT 5/18, versatile, €1250. Left hand drive kinda hinders the bargain aspect though..or does it?

I would not touch it with a bargepole! Particularly at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wonder why you'd bother importing it.
    See it being snapped up and shipped out of the country though, wonder if there is a vrt rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bear1 wrote: »
    Wonder why you'd bother importing it.
    See it being snapped up and shipped out of the country though, wonder if there is a vrt rebate.

I've found there to be lots of strange imports like the above with Kerry and Galway regs particularly. They tend to belong to people with holiday homes here or foreigners who relocated permanently. Theres a surprising number of US-spec Volkswagens in the West. There are lots of Mk1 Twingos all over the country too.

"lots" being a relative term of course

-

I wonder could somebody make a few quid by buying that Dacia and importing & selling in somewhere like Poland etc? Not a bangernomics proposition obviously, but just a thought

I've found there to be lots of strange imports like the above with Kerry and Galway regs particularly. They tend to belong to people with holiday homes here or foreigners who relocated permanently. Theres a surprising number of US-spec Volkswagens in the West. There are lots of Mk1 Twingos all over the country too.

-

I wonder could somebody make a few quid by buying that Dacia and importing & selling in somewhere like Poland etc? Not a bangernomics proposition obviously, but just a thought

Just did a check and it wouldn't make much sense in Poland.
    Most expensive one is roughly 3.5k euro so, say 1k for the Irish one then ship it over and then sell it at a lower price to beat competition and you might just might make a few hundred euro on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

-

Never came across a Mk1 Twingo here in Ireland, but did own a US import Subaru Legacy estate.
    Now I know all the estates were built in Indiana anyway, but mine was a RHD US spec estate and privately imported.
    The US Mail bought them for country areas, so the postman had 4wd and could drive along roadside mailboxes and open the little door from the drivers seat.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Never came across a Mk1 Twingo here in Ireland, but did own a US import Subaru Legacy estate.
    Now I know all the estates were built in Indiana anyway, but mine was a RHD US spec estate and privately imported.
    The US Mail bought them for country areas, so the postman had 4wd and could drive along roadside mailboxes and open the little door from the drivers seat.

There are a fra Twingos around Galway. Usually 1 or 2 parked at nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

14 year old 1 Series diesel with only 85k miles?

Is there a little asterisk next to the odometer mileage, between miles and the warning triangle? I know the older BMWs displayed that when the odometer was interfered with.

YjM1MGViMDIxZDU5OTFmMzc4Mjg1NTIyNDU3OTYzNTPjXgz2bItgOARfuUm6rQkbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDU2OTk0M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Luckily I'm skint, or that Alfa would tempt me greatly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That Alfa has featured here before, a few months ago IIRC.

I don't think that damage could be put right cheaply or without a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, the door is actually the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There have been others without damage for similar enough money. If you don't mind the looks of the car as is, wait a week or two and show the seller €700 cash

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/swap-volvo-xc90/17523040

ZTU3ZGM3MWQzYmZlM2JkZTU0YjQ3NGIxOGRlYmE5ODLkxa9rl3MyOOxT5vXHAgWgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTA1ODUyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

We're beginning to see a few of these in here. A manual box is surely a rare thing in this. NCT 10/18 €1900

2.5t I guess? Auto would be better I think.

2.5t I guess? Auto would be better I think.

Same* engine as the focus ST I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

If the engine is running well now, there's no reason why it wont go another 40-50k miles. They really are that good. Especially with a new timing belt.

There not a lot else to go wrong in the panda, but small things like minor controls, wiper linkage and seat material will have felt the mileage. If they are serviceable, they're textbook bangernomics.
    I'd agree.
    Had a punto fail NCT on worn wiper linkage (was a go-to check I believe), but part was pretty cheap even though I got genuine fiat part and it included wiper motor and full linkage.

Main things I'd be wary of are
    * head gasket failure (sometimes precipitated by
    neglected bad stat, itself a super handy and cheap fix)
    * power steering failure (commonish on puntos for sure, and v expensive/uneconomic fix)
    * corrosion: sills (which killed my old punto), near petrol tank, etc. They're not bad for corrosion really but untreated damage (eg from clumsy jacking) can lead to big issues over time.
    Most of other stuff is IME pretty cheap to put right, both parts and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-207-1-4-hdi/17506218

M2EwOTFhODdlM2NjYThlMDcwNWQ0OGI3N2QxMDE4NjFym1smIykicntLzBps13GaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDkwNjgzMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Is this a bargain? Mileage is at 165k miles so considerably high.

2008 Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI
    NCT - Apr 2018
    Tax - 08-2018
    Mileage - 165k Miles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No straight photos, who do they think they are, Top Gear?

It's also 2,850, exceeds the threshold for Bangernomics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-207-1-4-hdi/17506218

M2EwOTFhODdlM2NjYThlMDcwNWQ0OGI3N2QxMDE4NjFym1smIykicntLzBps13GaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDkwNjgzMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Is this a bargain? Mileage is at 165k miles so considerably high.

2008 Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI
    NCT - Apr 2018
    Tax - 08-2018
    Mileage - 165k Miles

No it’s certainly not a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

No photos of the interior either, makes me wonder if it's in rag order inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The black Audi TT in Cork a couple of weeks back prompted me to chase down a 225bhp TT old enough for classic insurance. Did the deal this morning for a respectable €1700. Clean car with a couple of dings and dead headlight washers and fuel/oil temp gauges, but nothing major to sort. Wheel caps in the boot. Cheap tyres will need replacing. I’d ideally have liked an avus grey one, but this ticked pretty much every other box.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/tt/used-2001-audi-tt-1-8-coupe-quatt-dublin-fpa-56139833167469

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-cc-1-6-cabriolet-2dr-trade-sale/17370926

Ford Focus CC Convertible
    Lady owner, great body, looks great with top off, can take two in rear while taking
    one up front.
    Nct June 18

N2U4ZDhiMjYxMTU0YWYxN2E5ODAwMTI4MmJjYWNhNmWZwCmPpFhBFxshjWKOvdwRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTgxMjI0NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its like reading something out of a playboy mag....

alastair wrote: »
    The black Audi TT in Cork a couple of weeks back prompted me to chase down a 225bhp TT old enough for classic insurance. Did the deal this morning for a respectable €1700. Clean car with a couple of dings and dead headlight washers and fuel/oil temp gauges, but nothing major to sort. Wheel caps in the boot. Cheap tyres will need replacing. I’d ideally have liked an avus grey one, but this ticked pretty much every other box.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/tt/used-2001-audi-tt-1-8-coupe-quatt-dublin-fpa-56139833167469

Are those engines really only 5 valves?

Are those engines really only 5 valves?

5v per cylinder

5v per cylinder

Brain fart

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You wouldn't even get a child in the back of that Focus CC. Pointless back seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice one, alastair. You got a great deal, well wear!

TT is still a very cool car. Hard to believe it's over 22 years since it was introduced. They're very well made and take the miles well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement