Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It is in very good condition if I do say so myself - hard to think its going on 14 years old too. Despite being an import its pretty paddy spec though :P No nav or dual zone climate as in many, and it has manual cloth seats etc. But still, very comfortable and utterly reliable over many thousands of km. Theres 280k on it now, got it at 240k in 2016.

The tint is definitely an acquired taste but I think it suits it. Its hard to tell but the tail lamps are tinted too and I think both kinda look nice with the colour. I'll leave it for now, genuinely I'm not very pushed on selling so if someone wants to nit pick about tints I'll tell them where to go. This is the second time I've tried to sell it, I kept it the first time because its just so good :D I'm going to replace it with an Octavia 4x4 estate..or maybe a V6 diesel A6 slightly newer

I'm going to go first thing in the morning to take proper photos for a decent ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'm very interested in this car however how come you guys think it's so over priced?

Also if I did go for a look and liked it enough to make an offer what should my strategy be? Ok I'm a green horn and if I want the car then I should pay close to the asking price but I don't want to be taken for a mug enough I am a mug lol.

NCT till 10/18 and allegedly bigger then an e class estate at the time. €1895

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-estate-06-absolutely-mint-nctd-10-18/17596719
    Yeah, I was thinking drop the "1". Those Mondeos are worth SFA and the second you give someone €1800 for that one it'll be worth €500 instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

funnyname wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this car however how come you guys think it's so over priced?

Also if I did go for a look and liked it enough to make an offer what should my strategy be? Ok I'm a green horn and if I want the car then I should pay close to the asking price but I don't want to be taken for a mug enough I am a mug lol.

It is a fine car in fairness. I’d like it but it’s the tax/insurance conundrum that makes it unsellable. I’m assuming petrol is ok with you in that your doing relatively low mileage not to justify diesel.
    Why don’t you ring your insurance broker first with the reg and see what it will cost you each year.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It is a fine car in fairness. I’d like it but it’s the tax/insurance conundrum that makes it unsellable. I’m assuming petrol is ok with you in that your doing relatively low mileage not to justify diesel.
    Why don’t you ring your insurance broker first with the reg and see what it will cost you each year.

I currently have a 02 1.4 focus, I do about 7k miles a year, 75% short miles. I did the NCT 3 months early on current yoke, failed a few things and garage reckons about €400 to fix. Hence me looking at a replacement. I'll check with insurance company later on to see how much extra it would be to insure it. No hassles paying the extra ~€250 on tax, want something with a bit more umph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Nice looking Audi TT for sale in Wexford. Little over the €2k.mark.
    Can't post link,sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here ya go

Unusual colour. Looks clean.

ZjEwMzM5M2U0M2M5MzMxZWQ1ZTIyNDM4ZjYyOTY3YTLuiIbG393RnBvJY8FNZVP5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTgyODIyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Pity it's not a 225 but lovely colour combo with the green and cream leather.

That looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm going to have another go at selling this if anyone is interested.

2004 A6 2.0 TDI, 6 speed manual
    NCT 11/17, tax 3/17, four brand new tyres fitted this week
    280k kms or 170-odd k miles

I don't have any more photos to hand so I don't have an ad to post yet. Hoping to get €1800ish? There are slightly newer cars going for the same money but with the tax and tyres I'm aiming high

38502406451_70b07be89a_c.jpg

For the likes of a car like this what sort of mileage would you want to be doing to get the most of it ?

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    For the likes of a car like this what sort of mileage would you want to be doing to get the most of it ?

Well I've done 40k kms (25k miles) in a year - I was very surprised to see that figure when I worked it out. I've been quite literally all over the country with it - north south east and west. Its such an effortless car and it makes long journeys a pleasure (it has cruise control, possibly the only option box ticked).

That said I also do a lot of local and city driving with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be going in real low. Like €1300 and staying pretty firm.

It's clean and NCT'd which makes it worth a bit and they are reasonably reliable, not fundamentally a bad car by any means they just dont really hold value like a 06 Passat or even Avensis.

I know this one is 2 years older but it looks in as good a condition, good spec, long NCT and You d probably buy it for €6-700

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-tdci-leather-new-nct-219/17594453

Here's a 2007 new model estate, decent bit of NCT left. Admittedly a fault with the central locking but you'd live with that. Asking less than that 06.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-ford-mondeo-1-8-tdci-estate/17522515

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'd be going in real low. Like €1300 and staying pretty firm.

I know this one is 2 years older but it looks in as good a condition, good spec, long NCT and You d probably buy it for €6-700

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-tdci-leather-new-nct-219/17594453

And that's 2.0 TDCi, very good engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Well I've done 40k kms (25k miles) in a year - I was very surprised to see that figure when I worked it out. I've been quite literally all over the country with it - north south east and west. Its such an effortless car and it makes long journeys a pleasure (it has cruise control, possibly the only option box ticked).

That said I also do a lot of local and city driving with no issues.

I don’t think my/OH driving would amount to even near that in a year so I’d be afraid of causing damage to the engine. Thanks for the info though best of luck with the sale :D

grogi wrote: »
    And that's 2.0 TDCi, very good engine...

Thanks but I only do 7/8k miles a year with lots of short journeys, would that not be bad for the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

If you do go to make an offer remind him that its now a 12 year old car. As Toyotafanboi said, id go in with 1300/1400, if you really do like it then maybe 1500 but not a penny more.

Few things to watch out for is rust on the bottom of the doors, clutch ( they dont give trouble but are a little more expensive to do on these ), the 1.8s in do like a drop of oil now and again. They are generally a reliable car compared to others in its class.

If the asking price is 2k and the car is only worth 1k, I wouldn't even bother going to see it tbh. Would waste your time and the time of the seller. If you really like the car, phone the seller. Tell him (gently) you genuinely like the car, want to buy it, have the cash, but feel he is asking for far too much. But that he now has your number and he can call you back any time if he would decide to let it go for a lot cheaper. And that you hope he will call you. If you bring that nicely, you might have a chance. His car will remain unsold and he might call you back in a week or two...

Or just play the waiting game. Ring him in a few weeks time (car still unsold) and say you are interested but not at anywhere near the asking price. But that you would like to see it. Then when you meet him, bring a grand in cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

When I looked at that Mondeo estate ad the first time I seen 1.8 and assumed it was the TDDi engine, just had a second look and noticed it's the 1.8 petrol.

That changes everything, they are a very poor engine. Definitely makes it a sub €1k car.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the engine. If it lasted this long and was treated well, it will probably still be fine by the time the car is going to be scrapped. Look at all the 90s and early 00s Skodas and Volkswagens with the terrible 1.4 still going strong. Family member bought a new Octavia 15 years ago and it's still in the family, taxed and tested. Took 2 coil packs in 15 years and uses a bit of oil, but that's it.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-sedici-suzuki-sx4/17648531

Yzk0Njc3MzlmYzYwNzg1ODBlZmFkYjIwODY5OTUxNzYDIDv9XKJW2dZSclz7gYE7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjA1NjQwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

08 diesel Sedici 4x4, NCT 10/19 €1750

On old system tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-220d/17203938IMAG10120_zpsedzoptjv.jpg2007 Lexus is 220d 116,000 miles nct 01/19 €1,500

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

m17 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-220d/17203938IMAG10120_zpsedzoptjv.jpg2007 Lexus is 220d 116,000 miles nct 01/19 €1,500

Last chance to buy at 1450?
    Will be going back up to 2000 on Monday?
    Why?
    Because if it won't sell at this price it'll certainly shift for an extra 550?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not often you see cloth interior and only 1 key listed as a selling point!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably tried the same approach on the other 5 vehicles he is selling.

Was considering an IS220d as an A6 replacement, hard to find a diesel with nice spec though and the 2.2 tax is a bit of a killer. They’re worth very little realistically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was considering an IS220d as an A6 replacement, hard to find a diesel with nice spec though and the 2.2 tax is a bit of a killer. They’re worth very little realistically

I've heard that engine is a bit of a timebomb also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-5-2007-1-9-diesel-nct-10-18/16919275

Saab 95 from a dealer , Sligo is miles from me unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Non turbo, non wrx, unfortunately. Still should be a reliable runabout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement