Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Chape tax Astra. Probably ex police car or something.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/astra/17591660

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Private seller takes photos on a dealers doorstep? doesn't say or do much for that dealer. I couldnt comment on the price.

Fair point, but they're a lovely smooth drive, and if someone goes to buy it the price can only move down.
    While I'm at it, this one is not quite bangernomics, but is on sale aaages. I saw it back in August I think when I was replacing my own car:
    http://www.rays.ie
    (hope that link works). €2995 for a 2005 GS300
    He was happy to put it through NCT prior to sale, which if he did it today would give NCT to October. Car seemed very genuine (owner died).

Another bangernomics one:
    2005 GS300, 79k miles (?), NCT to May, dealer-sale and claims to offer 3 month warranty, €1995 asking
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-3-0-executive/17398859

@colm_mcm On the Rav4, how "big" do they feel when you're driving (i.e. for someone who doesn't like big cars / hard to park cars)?

I like the Lexus GS300, I couldnt on the tax, it would kill me to hand over that much every year, a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭passatman86

1874 wrote: »
    Private seller takes photos on a dealers doorstep? doesn't say or do much for that dealer. I couldnt comment on the price.

Its my car.. I was up pricing a part for my avensis today in toyota and took pics of the celica knowing I was advertising it this evening.. no need to be all Sherlock Holmes theres no hidden message or conspiracy.. nice place for a pic thats all

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-190bhp-vvtli/17699724

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Its my car.. I was up pricing a part for my avensis today in toyota and took pics of the celica knowing I was advertising it this evening.. no need to be all Sherlock Holmes theres no hidden message or conspiracy.. nice place for a pic thats all
    In fairness to 1874 it's not really a great place for a pic.

Personally I found it a bit off-putting, and definitely doesn't give the vibe of a private sale. Looks more like maybe the seller works in a garage and is selling some cars himself on the side.

• Advertisement

Indubitably old bean,

In fairness to 1874 it's not really a great place for a pic.

Personally I found it a bit off-putting, and definitely doesn't give the vibe of a private sale. Looks more like maybe the seller works in a garage and is selling some cars himself on the side.

Wow .. new level of crazy..
    Its a Toyota car at a Toyota garage
    Guessing subliminal messages at its best here

Infairness, what that other guy said, it really is not a good place to take pictures of a car for sale ever (in my opinion), unless its being sold by the garage, I cannot see how the garage would not find that odd, hence why I said I dont see what it does for them.
    Im sure the car is great, I like them, dont know much about them and Im sure someone could come along and confirm that its well worth the money, but you've only confirmed what my alarm bells have told me by your replies, and if I sense an ounce of something it just concerns me about any car.

Look, it's just feedback, no obligation to take it on board but no need to be insulting either.

I'm really not casting aspersions on you, just passing on the reaction I had to the pics.

You're trying to sell a car, 2 people have given you similar feedback on the photos, so there's a strong chance that other potential buyers will feel the same way. But like I say, it's your ad, and your car, so you should do it whatever way you want, and best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

All you had to do was say it was your car and no one would have batted an eyelid. In fairness it looks good and clean and GLWS but you might throw an iron over the crumpled NCT cert :)

• Advertisement

I suppose im looking at it from my point of view knowing its a private sale with pics of the previous nct certs in the pic on my sitting room floor also. I like seeing donedeal adds of lads with twin cams at toyota garages or integras at honda garages - its the angle I was going for. Thinking now I see their presumption but if they asked I could have clarified all that. No bother sure i accept their opinion and input now i read back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Bin the old nct cert, what is with the arousal for showing or keeping old nct certs anyway.

Bin the old nct cert, what is with the arousal for showing or keeping old nct certs anyway.

Some people appreciate paperwork.. each to their own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Some people appreciate paperwork.. each to their own

Same people who love their car, calls it a name. Yep each to their own.

Nowadays there's mileage records on them and can be also interesting to see old test records

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-cordoba-1-4tdi-2005-nct-08-18-1-owner/17702412

Seat Cordoba
    One lady owner, great body. Good tyres, all round.
    NCT 8/18

ZTQyNjgxZmRmMDFhYjhlNzliN2RlOGJhZjJjYTU1MGaEqpcbC2XMm81lgVTgpIO5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjQ4NzY1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

It shows the owner cared enough for the car to keep paperwork and history. More often than not, if a car has a nice bit of old paperwork it suggests its been looked after. I got a heap of paperwork with our current car - old MOT's, receipts for tyres, copy of paperwork for VRT, old NCT certs - I was delighted as it gave me an idea of the history of the car and also backed up the mileage displayed on the odometer.

Can only be a good thing IMO

I don’t think anyone would be too fussed on a 8 owner car that’s only changed ownership before Christmas whether the old disc was there or not. They’re either in the market for such a car or not. That said it would be silly to just throw it away if it’s there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

passatman86, you have posted in the sales thread already. Don't post about your car in this thread any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

ZjY1ODJjNmJmNzZiOGE3NWQyY2RhYjYzNjcwMTVmNTNFZMkr1c3hFmbTKQr5ZceaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTQ3MTM0NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Aero 9-3, nct 7/18, tax 1/18. €1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Or this one...
    I do like the way the owners taken time to list all the works that have been done. Looks like a fair bit has been spent to get it right, and all the bits you'd expect to be serviced. Nct until august and a bit of tax to do until February.

YmY2YWU1MGFhNDY3MzcwZmI4ODhhOTkwMzQwZDFmODSS9eFbVv7da9A7uPsf_PbZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTYyMDMzOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT TILL END OF AUGUST 2018
    TAX TILL END OF FEBRUARY 2018

€1950 takes her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Looks nice, any link? What model is most reliable in these? Petrol or diesel? What size engine is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

zweton wrote: »
    Looks nice, any link? What model is most reliable in these? Petrol or diesel? What size engine is good?

Click the photo.
    Personally I'd go for a turbo petrol if I was buying a saab.
    Don't expect great economy though so if that's all you want then look for a tid.
    Wouldn't bother with the 1.8 and stick to the 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hal1 wrote: »
    Or this one...
    I do like the way the owners taken time to list all the works that have been done. Looks like a fair bit has been spent to get it right, and all the bits you'd expect to be serviced. Nct until august and a bit of tax to do until February....

NCT TILL END OF AUGUST 2018
    TAX TILL END OF FEBRUARY 2018

€1950 takes her home.

On paper this one would be my choice of the two irrespective of the €650 extra, considering all that has being spent on it in the last while. The months extra motor tax and year up on other softens blow too. I wouldn't take the seller at his word though, would want to see the receipts in front of me (once or twice too often went to view a car on the premise of this and that being promised only to be told they were mislaid when I went to view. Would really urge a potential buyer to check insurance first though as not everyone will insure them so easily.
    I wonder is 32mpg a realistic expectation though, even if drove with a light right foot?

Bangernomics is moving on. If your looking for a family car, willing to spend close to the €2k mark and not after anything overly exotic then you should probably be aiming for a 2008 model upwards for the chape tax etc etc.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-cheap-tax/17665598

2008 Octavia 1.9 tiddly diddly eye.
    148K Miles;
    NCT 09/2019
    Asking €2,150;
    Chape motor tax @ €280 p.a.

Extremely dated for 2008 but to many who are just after cheap transport and have their eye firmly fixated on the motor tax figure that wont matter a damn. Would I drive it? - all day longsmile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I think those cheap tax mk1 Octavia's are a fine buy mind you I'd be aiming for the 1500 mark.

Relatively simple, reliable and tunable A series tdi engine
    Cheap and simple suspension setup
    A whole raft of super cheap 2nd hand parts and panels (things like nice seats would be a very cheap yet major comfort upgrade.)
    Competant mechanics can sort any niggley issues with their eyes closed.

The dated look is really the only drawback, it is a big one though.

• Advertisement

Do you really reckon you'd get a 2008 model on the cheaper tax for €1,500 though selectamatic? I like your optimism but am highly doubtful myself. Something tells me the seller is going to be hell bent on the €2k mark. You might be lucky but if you do manage to track one down for €1,500 then I would think it may be worth spending the extra €500 as what you will get will most likely be a very high mileage shed or at least something serious enough that needs to be put right. Go back to 2007 and I have no doubt there will be an abundance of similar and decent ones for €1,500 though.

Dated yeah, the design has being around these shores since around 1997/98. It wouldn't bother me too much though if I was in the market for a cheap runaround and many more will no doubt be in the same boat. Its not as if its replacement model is any oil painting anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement