Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You certainly won't get that one for 1500 unless it remains unsold for the next month. But I've seen a few rougher examples still with a long test going for the sub 2k Mark.

Had my eye on an ex taxi one in dub with big mileage, decent test and some taxi tax left which was listed at €1400 before Xmas as I knew someone looking for an insurable diesel beater but he couldn't get over the image aspect.
    Despite the fact that for a 1st time driver they were the cheapest cheap tax diesel over 1.5 to insure by a mile. Liberty were throwing out quotes of €2100 for a driver with 1 year named experience and 2 parents named on the policy which I thought was decent.

Obviously there's still dealers looking for 3k for them but they'll never sell them at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That Octavia would be a bargain at €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You certainly won't get that one for 1500 unless it remains unsold for the next month. But I've seen a few rougher examples still with a long test going for the sub 2k Mark.

Had my eye on an ex taxi one in dub with big mileage, decent test and some taxi tax left which was listed at €1400 before Xmas as I knew someone looking for an insurable diesel beater but he couldn't get over the image aspect.
    Despite the fact that for a 1st time driver they were the cheapest cheap tax diesel over 1.5 to insure by a mile. Liberty were throwing out quotes of €2100 for a driver with 1 year named experience and 2 parents named on the policy which I thought was decent.

Obviously there's still dealers looking for 3k for them but they'll never sell them at that.

Horses for courses, the fact that its a high mileage ex taxi makes it worth less anyway and a lot more people instantly just wont be interested. Taxi tax left on it would be irrelevant if you were to do things by the book. Obviously it would be necessary to view each and judge them on their merits and flaws but I'd be inclined to go for the one I linked to rather than the ex taxi you mention, all other things being equal. Also, there are private sellers never mind dealers asking €3k or more for them and see a dealer has one on at €4k. Having said that there are good bargains to be had with ex taxis that come up from time to time if you buy right and go in eyes wide open. I wouldn't be so quick as to instantly turn my nose up at one as a cheap runaround as some would.

Anyway the whole motor insurance thing is a funny one and getting funnier all the time. A lot of people still seem to thing engine size is the big factor when it comes to the car but would suggest make and model plays a much bigger part than people realise. Depends on the insurance provider and the drivers particulars too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Theres something very appealing about that Octavia. I imagine it would give many years and many many thousands of km's of relatively hassle free motoring. I like the idea of a "new" car with old technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It's an import and that older model was very popular as a taxi (hence why they continued to offer it) so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a history as a UK minicab before it got on the ferry.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify I'm not at all saying the ex taxi example I used was a better buy/car (checked my DD saved history and it had a price drop to 1250 before selling) I'm merely saying 2k or a touch lower is the price of clean saloon ones of them and at that they are a good solid bangernomics buy but not an absolute bargain.

One I had saved in Galway was listed at 2250 private black Irish car with low owners, big test and a G reg and it took over 20 days to sell so id wager it went for sub 2k. There's also a silver one in tip that's been for sale by a dealer for the past 6 or 7 months he started at over 3k and it's currently at 2650 and I'd be thinking it won't sell until he lists it at much closer to 2k. There's another one in Galway at 3k that's been up for 33 days that hasn't a hope of selling without a big price drop too.

If 2k was a bargain then that octavia would have sold the day it was posted on dd hence I implied if buying one a man would want to be aiming for the 1500 mark. Perhaps meet in the middle at 1750? Your not out to make friends buying cheap 2nd hand cars. I'm always overly polite and accommodating but the price is there to be negotiated on if a car isn't appearing to be in demand/selling at the owners desired asking price.

Oddly enough the estates are making much stronger money circa 2.5k as a selling price. I suppose it's down to their practicality and rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know a chap who had one of those older models, he loved it.
    He came under pressure from his OH to upgrade to a modern 1.6 version this year.
    He is still crying over his beloved 1.9!

(incidentally I agree with johndaman in that the new one isn't all that much to look at. In fact I'd hazard a guess that people who are not interested in cars wouldn't know the old ones are so old only for the plates)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Those Octavias are superb cars and I think they're brilliant.

Why?

Because they're exactly what a Skoda should be. Reliable basic functional transport. They don't pretend to be up market like the newer Skodas with people spending 50k on a Skoda.

I had one for a while - thing was a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would it not have a 2 year cert no? If it's new test

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

166man wrote: »
    Those Octavias are superb cars and I think they're brilliant.

Why?

Because they're exactly what a Skoda should be. Reliable basic functional transport. They don't pretend to be up market like the newer Skodas with people spending 50k on a Skoda.

I had one for a while - thing was a tank.
    What are they like with respect to water ingress, or any electrical issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia/17720130

2008 Mk 2 Octavia 1.9 TDI;
    NCT 08/18 and taxed 08/18 were told - as we are told it is 100% mechanically (as opposed to 97%?)
    Motor tax €270;
    The next NCT is a long way off to be making such predictions now (one of Kim Jongs bombs might have blown it to bits in the meantime) and don't like the fact that mileage is not marked it - I find it very offputting in fact.
    Asking €2,100.
    To be honest I'd be more drawn to the previous Mk1 I provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I think those cheap tax mk1 Octavia's are a fine buy mind you I'd be aiming for the 1500 mark.

Relatively simple, reliable and tunable A series tdi engine
    Cheap and simple suspension setup
    A whole raft of super cheap 2nd hand parts and panels (things like nice seats would be a very cheap yet major comfort upgrade.)
    Competant mechanics can sort any niggley issues with their eyes closed.

The dated look is really the only drawback, it is a big one though.

I only started seeing that mentioned here recently, (that they look dated), I guess Im one for odd looking cars, but Ive always thought they looked ok (after the facelift). Ive found mine economical, mostly relatively simple to work on, just replaced some rear suspension parts, moderately handy. Ive a facelifted version 7 years older than that red car but with less miles and was immaculate on the inside when I got it, its got a fairly high spec with lower miles), I consider them recommended, if I was looking right now (and for sure if it was an estate), Id hop on that 08 Mk1, mine was a UK import, so if that one is? Id check the underside for rust, that might even be applicable here, but its still only a 10 yo car..
    I still get great mpg, and if I could pay out 280 tax annually instead of 190 per quarter Id consider that great, looking back, if I knew how reliable and was looking at the time, Id have bought when they were still selling Mk1s up till 09? if I had the money.
    What are they like with respect to water ingress, or any electrical issues?

Haven't had any myself, one of my keys recently doesnt operate the central locking anymore and the front passenger door lock always pops back up when you operate central locking from inside the car, I might take off the door card and see if there are any loose connections, I replaced all other cables for the rest of the electric windows except that one, regarding water ingress might also be dependant on what the car has put up with regarding usage, I dont have any.
    One thing, mine is a pre dpf, I consider that an advantage as I dont do sufficient mileage in conventional wisdom to justify a diesel, but I still get as good if not better mileage (and its capable of fantastic mpg on long runs) than a petrol for not much more motor tax, not sure if that red one is a PD diesel, but if its had the correct oil, Im sure they are just as good,

I consider highly recommended for a reliable (fingers crossed) cheap to maintain and run car, my insurance has creeped up over the years with the usual crap about age etc, but Ive managed so far to avoid crippling increases by doing a lot of phoning around and changing providers, not sure how much longer that will get me, before that and the tax justify changing, which is mad as otherwise it (they) I consider are a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Would it not have a 2 year cert no? If it's new test

Id have thought so too, maybe they let it pass the 10 year mark before getting it tested. Looking at the reg, I dont know if its a UK import? maybe that had something to do with the timing of the NCT and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Relatively simple, reliable and tunable A series tdi engine
    Cheap and simple suspension setup
    A whole raft of super cheap 2nd hand parts and panels (things like nice seats would be a very cheap yet major comfort upgrade.)
    in terms of an easy car to keep on the road (straight-forward servicing, robust design, good general reliability, and ease of maintenance when jobs are needed), how would one compare these with e.g. Corollas or Civics of similar vintage?
    (I'm hunting for a cheap second car for family)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd agree that those Octavias are hardy and the engines aren't particularly problematic but a petrol Corolla/ Civic would probably be cheaper if/ when something does go wrong as the likelihood of an injector/ EGR/ turbo/ flywheel etc failing in that diesel is still present and these are failures that are far less likely in a petrol engine.

I'm not saying I'd let that alone put me off the Skoda by any means but if we are discussing reliability and nothing else, the Jap petrol is probably still a whisker better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd agree that those Octavias are hardy and the engines aren't particularly problematic but a petrol Corolla/ Civic would probably be cheaper if/ when something does go wrong as the likelihood of an injector/ EGR/ turbo/ flywheel etc failing in that diesel is still present and these are failures that are far less likely in a petrol engine.

I'm not saying I'd let that alone put me off the Skoda by any means but if we are discussing reliability and nothing else, the Jap petrol is probably still a whisker better.

Petrol Octavia - best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Quazzie wrote: »

No

in terms of an easy car to keep on the road (straight-forward servicing, robust design, good general reliability, and ease of maintenance when jobs are needed), how would one compare these with e.g. Corollas or Civics of similar vintage?

It's difficult to beat the likes of a corolla or civic for ease of maintenance. The likes of an e12 corolla is also a much nicer place to be compared to a mk1 octavia, it's more pleasant to drive and much more comfortable.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No

Thank you for your well rounded, expertly considered, and eloquently put answer. A brilliant contribution to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm going to have another go at selling this if anyone is interested.

2004 A6 2.0 TDI, 6 speed manual
    NCT 11/17, tax 3/17, four brand new tyres fitted this week
    280k kms or 170-odd k miles

I don't have any more photos to hand so I don't have an ad to post yet. Hoping to get €1800ish? There are slightly newer cars going for the same money but with the tax and tyres I'm aiming high

38502406451_70b07be89a_c.jpg

Sold in the end (to the first viewer..as the cliche goes) Had it valeted on Friday morning, put up a spot light ad midday and it had 700-odd views by this morning. Some amount of idiots contacted me in that time though. Very last line of the ad read "no offers before viewing the car" and every single inquiry I had bar one asked "and whats your best price on it"

Anyway, what did it cost to own?

Bought in December 2016 for €2500 with 240k kms

Serviced it shortly after buying for a small amount. I don't remember

Two bushings for NCT (early test) €very little

Its gone through 8 tyres altogether in the year and a bit of ownership. 2 + 2 + 4

And thats it. It hasn't ever wanted for anything else ever and I never felt the need to throw money at it. Went up the road with a bit over 280-odd k on the clock.

Got €1700 for it.

Not bad I suppose? I don't know. €2500 seems like an awful lot for a base spec diesel A6 but it was the going rate at the time.

I'd have another tomorrow. Fantastic car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-of-a-kind-mercedes-320-only-89k-miles-tax-4-18/17727501

Mercedes e320 2004
    Only 1 lady owner from new
    Has full Mercedes service history from msl Mercedes.
    Two keys NCT 2/18 TAX 4/18

Crazy tax. What will become of these cars.
    Must be a market somewhere, Malta maybe. 500 a year to tax it there.
    Or Australia, where car would be a 15k car.

ZGQyOWU2YjU4MGE2YzY2ZTZlZmRjMjdiNTdkOGM5ZDhdYPxhR49x6AFSEmbBC1xzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjY5NDM2OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1874 wrote: »
    I only started seeing that mentioned here recently, (that they look dated), I guess Im one for odd looking cars, but Ive always thought they looked ok (after the facelift).

Dated compared to other cars with an 08 reg whereas certain cars with 06/07 regs give the impression they're more modern and more expensive than their reg year suggests (Lexus is250, bmw e60 etc)
    Again it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was after an economical daily beater but it bothers many people.

I've recommended a cheap tax mk1 octavia or cheap tax mk1 superb a few times in various threads in the buying and selling forum regarding a cheap reliable commuter car and I've always been met with the same response "dated".

Diesel for diesel I'd be thinking the octavia would win out hands down from an economics perspective: better mpg, cheaper parts and cheaper to put right should things go wrong. Honestly those octavia's are probably the most reliable and simple cheap tax diesel available.
    Dmf and clutches, turbo's and injectors are all robust and relatively cheap to replace.

That said I'm a big fan of 1.4d4d e12 corolla's too. If the civics or corolla's are petrol then that changes things slightly as if you dont need a diesel then petrol is generally always the safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind that model Octavia launched 22 years ago!

Thank you for your well rounded, expertly considered, and eloquently put answer. A brilliant contribution to the discussion

Petrol octavias are dire. Underpowered and troublesome. Not in the same league as the japanese competition and way off the 1.9 as well

Dated compared to other cars with an 08 reg whereas certain cars with 06/07 regs give the impression they're more modern and more expensive than their reg year suggests (Lexus is250, bmw e60 etc)
    Again it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was after an economical daily beater but it bothers many people.

I've recommended a cheap tax mk1 octavia or cheap tax mk1 superb a few times in various threads in the buying and selling forum regarding a cheap reliable commuter car and I've always been met with the same response "dated".

Diesel for diesel I'd be thinking the octavia would win out hands down from an economics perspective: better mpg, cheaper parts and cheaper to put right should things go wrong. Honestly those octavia's are probably the most reliable and simple cheap tax diesel available.
    Dmf and clutches, turbo's and injectors are all robust and relatively cheap to replace.

That said I'm a big fan of 1.4d4d e12 corolla's too. If the civics or corolla's are petrol then that changes things slightly as if you dont need a diesel then petrol is generally always the safer option.
    The 1.4d4d is as reliable as anything and supremely refined and quiet even by todays standards which is amazing considering it's now 16 years old.

Petrol octavias are dire. Underpowered and troublesome. Not in the same league as the japanese competition and way off the 1.9 as well

You think a 1.8T Octavia with 180bhp is underpowered? :confused:

Must take a lot to impress you

You think a 1.8T Octavia with 180bhp is underpowered? :confused:

Must take a lot to impress you

No but the rest of them are which is what I thought you were talking about because the 1.8t is hardly less complex compared the 1.9

No but the rest of them are which is what I thought you were talking about because the 1.8t is hardly less complex compared the 1.9

Even the 100bhp 1.6 from the same era, I would've thought was about par powerwise compared to their japanese counterparts.

A random pick of a 1.5 Nissan Almera only had 88/96bhp.

Even the 100bhp 1.6 from the same era, I would've thought was about par powerwise compared to their japanese counterparts.

The 1.6 has similar bhp to a 1.4 vvti but is like a dinosaur in comparison to the vvti in terms of how modern it is.

A standard d series vtec 1.6 in a civic could be had with 125bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I have a petrol mk1 Octavia Vrs myself and it's been flawless in the 6 months I own it only needing petrol so far averages 40 + mpg when I usually drive her gently enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement